Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] No more scores on 5live sports report

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Always used to enjoy listening to the results when we got back to the car either for home or away games but quite honestly, I can't remember the last time I heard the results so I can't really be an advocate for keeping them.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Even when you try and use the BBC app to find a score online now you have scroll through a load of match ratings now anyway

Have to say that does piss me off that the BBC prioritise random match ratings over the facts of the match. Just pandering to the big six and their worldwide fan bases. Pathetic.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a shame in many ways - it's such a well established and much loved tradition. Having said that, have to confess to not listening very often - I'm usually listening to Radio Sussex on line, with SSN on silent - but I usually switch to the sound on SSN for the classifieds. SSNs not a lot of help for people driving home, I suppose - but I think they reaad them out on Talksport too?

The music is iconic though - I would hate it not to be there any more! Mind you, I hated it when the Radio 4 early morning theme was ditched - and I've got over that! Life's just a tiny bit poorer though!

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
I get this would have been a tough decision for the Beeb and - on balance - I think they've got it right. It takes a long time to sit through the entire full set of results, everybody's got phones these days and can not only see all the scores but also scorers and other data.

Yes, it was nice while it lasted, I can remember fans on trains listening in on the journey home and my grandad checking his pools coupon to it but the Beeb has to stay relevant so it has to go.

Nonsense. Who primarily listens to the radio? The elderly and drivers. I know several old people without smartphones - my blind Grandad for one. And I’d rather drivers weren’t checking the football scores on their phones while driving up the M1.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I still regularly listen to it, FFS I ****ing hate football these days. Everything. Everything has been royally ****ed because of greed. To the point now that the smallest of traditions like this have been destroyed.

Why don’t we just be done with it. Blow the whistle and pallet trucks can wiz’s out with layers of CASH to look at. The biggest pile wins. And all the jerks, sorry influencers, who need constant online attention can do their Poundland commentary on.

****ing shoot the c unt who decided this for their cultural crimes. Absolutely lived. Done with this ‘sport’

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The Shipping Forecast will be next for the chop.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I still regularly listen to it, FFS I ****ing hate football these days. Everything. Everything has been royally ****ed because of greed. To the point now that the smallest of traditions like this have been destroyed.

Why don’t we just be done with it. Blow the whistle and pallet trucks can wiz’s out with layers of CASH to look at. The biggest pile wins. And all the jerks, sorry influencers, who need constant online attention can do their Poundland commentary on.

****ing shoot the c unt who decided this for their cultural crimes. Absolutely lived. Done with this ‘sport’

Jesus

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey

When Rishi Sunak realises how angry this is going to make the boomers, he'll be on the hustings announcing that he will force the BBC to put it back. It will be the cornerstone of his election campaign. We may have a cost of living crisis, rampant inflation, and massive problems caused by Brexit - but this is the thing that the country needs addressing.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Whilst it's sad to see something that is part of the collective nostalgia being cancelled, is this really such a travesty?

There just isn't a point anymore where you have a radio (not playing on an internet connected device) and no access to the internet. The BBC Sports app more than fills the scores gap, and it is, as far as technology goes, unbelievably straightforward. Change is okay sometimes...

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
For those that say there are other outlets to get the football results - I agree - BUT there are plenty of places other than the TV news to see what's going on in the world - will this move lead to the BBC TV news being ditched too?

I like hearing, in one go, the scores from all divisions - football is NOT just the PL and the BBC's reasoning that they have to prepare for the 5.30 KO is pathetic.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Terrible decision..... A complete abandonment of an important football culture. I guess it used to have more relevance in the days when everyone was checking their pools coupons. I can remember my dad doing so , and I had to keep quiet!
Nevertheless, it is still of great interest to the real fans as opposed to little boys and plastics..
For some reason I always looked out for the results of Hamilton Academicals and Forest Green Rovers. I just liked the names I guess. Now those small clubs won’t get a mention.
Who’s running the BBC these days?

Exactly, and almost every game was completed by 16.40 back when you had 10mins for HT. Now games regularly go on until 16.50, then you have a kick off at 17.30.

I consider myself a bit of a traditionalist, but actually if I'm doing a spot of DIY or pottering about and have 5Live on, I have to admit I'm irritated of the interruption of going around the grounds interviewing managers and getting the low down on key results especially outside the PL. I can look up the results whether after I'm driving or doing something but more difficult to hear how the manager of Barrow felt their game went and finding that info. later. When you say they don't get a mention, BBC Sports Report probably talks about games outside the PL and what is going on in other leagues more than any other media outlet, and certainly paints a better picture than just hearing the results.

Now there are no pools coupons and a large number of games still to play for that week, I don't really see the point - I'd rather hear more about what is going on in the other leagues to be honest. :shrug:

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
When Rishi Sunak realises how angry this is going to make the boomers, he'll be on the hustings announcing that he will force the BBC to put it back. It will be the cornerstone of his election campaign. We may have a cost of living crisis, rampant inflation, and massive problems caused by Brexit - but this is the thing that the country needs addressing.

Great minds (last panel)

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...mier-league-season?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I disagree.

Not EVERYONE is glued to a smartphone all through the second half and after the game. And not everyone follows the scores all afternoon online either. I've also been in the train queues at Falmer plenty of times and not always found it easy to get a 4G reception to download all the final scores.

It only takes, what, 5 minutes to reel of those scores on the wireless ? Unbelievable that the BBC believe that they can't even dedicate that to the scores on a Saturday afternoon, in favour of some extra drivel from the likes of Robbie Savage.

Just another example of the BBC abandoning good, time-honoured content in favour of "da kidz" they are apparently so desperate to attract, whilst giving the middle-finger to us oldies.

I enjoy the Sports Report Monty Python intro music, Mark Chapman going through the day's highlights, then cutting to someone who was at the Harrogate v Carlise game where there was a stoppage because the batteries failed in the electronic subs board. I find going around the grounds with Sports Report that has good coverage outside the PL far more preferable, with the likes of Mark Clemmit who seems to be universally liked often having great insights and conversations with various managers etc. outside the PL. I honestly would rather listen to 5 more mins of Mark Clemmit summing up the key points of the Football League than just the dull reading out of scores, of which the age group that will miss it couldn't tell you what was just read out the game before anyway.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
What happens if you are either visually or hearing impaired are these licence payer's entitled a bit of consideration or don't they count?

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The Shipping Forecast will be next for the chop.

Already going.

But the truth is that, today, it is largely a nostalgia piece, and has been for years. The 21st century’s seafarers, even on the smallest fishing boats, are able to access a vast array of precise meteorological data, thanks to satellite navigation and the internet.

“Fishermen want detail for exactly the spot they’re in – not just a summary of the nation,” says Mike Cohen of the National Federation of Fishermen’s Organisations. Fishermen love it too, though, he points out. And the BBC insists that the forecast will remain “a much-loved part of the regular Radio 4 schedule”.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
For those that say there are other outlets to get the football results - I agree - BUT there are plenty of places other than the TV news to see what's going on in the world - will this move lead to the BBC TV news being ditched too?

I like hearing, in one go, the scores from all divisions - football is NOT just the PL and the BBC's reasoning that they have to prepare for the 5.30 KO is pathetic.

How is it pathetic? Its just their informed reasoning of what listeners want nowadays sandwiched between full times and the 5.30 ko, which apart from largely the older, sentimental generation, isn't 10 minutes of airtime reading out results of about 10 leagues (most of which not many care about let's be honest bar the odd result) which can easily be looked up anyway

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
How is it pathetic? Its just their informed reasoning of what listeners want nowadays sandwiched between full times and the 5.30 ko, which apart from largely the older, sentimental generation, isn't 10 minutes of airtime reading out results of about 10 leagues (most of which not many care about let's be honest bar the odd result) which can easily be looked up anyway

It takes less than 5 minutes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here