Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No football through all of April

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The medical folk from Imperial College were talking of a shutdown of at least five months this morning. This means that football won't start again until mid-August, at best. If they sped up everything, they'd have to start the next season by mid-October. They could just about do that if they scrap cup matches but it would be tight.

Tight, your not joking, not forgetting the Euro's now next summer...

Madness, scrape the damn season now, be done with it.

Let the clubs, players and Sky sort out the money.
It is not as if the players are skint in the Premier League, the whole wage thing is out of control and needs getting back on an even keel, maybe this is the catalyst.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
It wouldn't be exactly as we had left it. The EFL would likely be twenty or more clubs short.

I know. But there doesn't seem to be any solution to that unless they are given financial support - and there will be more urgent priorities.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
There's talk of them asking for £750m from clubs if we don't finish the season. Any idea of scrapping football for a year and starting again in March 21 is a non-starter, there'd be no Sky money for a year, clubs wouldn't be able to pay players.

The medical folk from Imperial College were talking of a shutdown of at least five months this morning. This means that football won't start again until mid-August, at best. If they sped up everything, they'd have to start the next season by mid-October. They could just about do that if they scrap cup matches but it would be tight.

Sending 15 or so PL clubs straight into bankruptcy - the logical effect of "yes we know you have no incomes but we demand £750m anyway" - wouldnt help anyone.

PL is great for UK (tourism, PR, etc), great for TV (its the only reason to watch it), great for the clubs... surely everyone needs to make sacrifices here if not everything is going to collapse.

Government may have to open the wallet or give reliefs, TV companies need to say "ok, lets just move on", clubs likely need to restrain their spendings for a few years...

Think there will be some type of mega-solution to this.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Didn't insure my Norwich x 3 train fare, oh f***

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Rubbish anouncement... creates more confusion. Propably means they could not agree.
Better to declare this season over, luckily no argument to giving Liverpool the title. I favour no Prem relegation with WBA and Leeds promoted and have 22 clubs next season...there are too many blank weekennds anyway.
As for the EFL? .....I don't know, I have not worked out their problems

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I wonder how a reduction in Sky money would affect us in comparison with say, Crystal Palace for example. They have a huge salary to income ratio and as far as I'm aware, no sugar daddy ???

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Rubbish anouncement... creates more confusion. Propably means they could not agree.
Better to declare this season over, luckily no argument to giving Liverpool the title. I favour no Prem relegation with WBA and Leeds promoted and have 22 clubs next season...there are too many blank weekennds anyway.
As for the EFL? .....I don't know, I have not worked out their problems

Now how did i know you favoured no relegation frtom the Premier League this season?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
What is the point of even trying - there are so many more important things for people to be concerned about.

They need to get real and scrap the season - this delay is purely because of the money men - tv companies, owners, clubs, players and agents who will do everything possible to keep their wealth empire - sorry folks but the emperor has no clothes.

For the next 12-18 months there is zero prospect of football as we know it and the clubs need to admit that asap.

Even if another game isn't played for 2 years, this season will not be scrapped. Football will start up again where it left off. Anything else is unthinkable.

If your kid has a life changing accident you don't 'scrap it' and have another baby.

I just don't understand any of this talk :shrug:

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
I think re-starting from where we left off in a year's time is the most realistic place where we'll end up. It will be a painful process to get there though.
- If Sky/BT claim a refund it will go to court. They certainly won't pay up if the next season comes around with no football.
- Clubs may have to negotiate with the PFA to reduce wages whilst games are not being played
- Players out of contract won't have the same bargaining power they normally have, no club is going to take on new players until they have realistic prospects of playing

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
At least they will all be in the same boat

It will be magnificent. Can you imagine? The virus quelled, and football back on. It is something to look forward to. Better than the bloody afterlife, or silicon heaven, any day.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I wonder how many Brighton fans pay by direct debit? I do and for two tickets. I wonder if the club could use that money as cashflow to tide it over as much as poss and then find some way of renewing for a season with an X months DD pause or payment holiday once we are underway again and the TV money rolls back in?

I'm certainly not cancelling mine, even though I don't expect to see another game in 2020 (which will mean we went a whole YEAR without winning a game :eek: )

milliepops

Nov 8, 2011
at home
I really dont see how this can work. I'm intrigued to see what comes out of the club as we are a week or so away from starting to pay for next seasons season ticket. Very strange times indeed
Many, many people are going to experience financial worries with decreased or no income during this crisis. Collecting the direct debits for season 20/21, a season that may or may not take place, just seems wrong.
Hopefully the club make a sensible decision to postpone the start of payments for the 20/21 season until a time that a clear plan is in place regarding the resumption of football.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
What is the point of even trying - there are so many more important things for people to be concerned about.

They need to get real and scrap the season - this delay is purely because of the money men - tv companies, owners, clubs, players and agents who will do everything possible to keep their wealth empire - sorry folks but the emperor has no clothes.

For the next 12-18 months there is zero prospect of football as we know it and the clubs need to admit that asap.

The point is their contractural obligation to Sky/BT and the overseas rights holders because no football, no party, no pay day.

In breach of contract, rip them up and go again or worse, rip them up and renegotiate on a lower basis.

The Prem will want the games played purely to satisfy the provision of services aspect of any contract and almost to hell with supporters or players.

Why they think they can have any kind of even behind closed doors games until August onwards given all the information is beyond me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here