Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No football through all of April

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Still think the idea of scrapping the entire 2020/21 season and finishing off this one (if possible) either in the summer or autumn or next spring is a good one.

Could just delay everything for a full year and recommence March 2021, exactly as we'd left it.

It wouldn't be exactly as we had left it. The EFL would likely be twenty or more clubs short.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
On the one hand the club may offer an extra year to Kayal, Schelotto and Balogun.

On the other hand, they may not be getting any Sky money ( bar parachutes ) for next season if we eventually go down, and this season's money has to now cover extra months wages anyway, so with the season now 'endless' we may have to cut our cloth a bit.

Big issue: how can the season be extended past July without extra Sky money to cover extra monthly wages?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I'm not sure how many lower league clubs will be able to carry on, if the return to playing with fans in attendance is not until much later in the year.

Certainly players with those clubs will be feeling uneasy as no doubt a number of clubs will stop paying wages once the playing contract ends,

Certainly at present lots of players missing out on appearance money.

The really bad news about this, is that the BBC could keep Mrs Brown's Boys on in the MOTD slot for a lot more weeks.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This is a joke. By delaying rather than making a definitive decision about the 2019/20 season they're indirectly giving the impression to people this will all blow over in a few days, and that in itself is dangerously complacent.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I think the only reason they are not just cancelling the season is because it would **** up the TV deals meaning every team not financed by oil sheiks would be utterly fcked.

Its very obvious there will be no football for a long while.

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Don’t see why there needs to be a cut off point. The legal cases if they cut it now are going to be crazy, only option is to entirely void whole season.

Next season will be reduced games if this will be indefinitely rolled over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Don’t see why there needs to be a cut off point. The legal cases if they cut it now are going to be crazy, only option is to entirely void whole season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And who pays for the extra monthly wage bill if the season is extended ? Will Sky pay more ? Surely they don't pay again until next season starts.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The rules - which every club signed up to before a ball was kicked - stat that the season must end by 1st. June. Suing somebody for not changing the rules, and for not breaking the contract?

God luck with that one. They're obviously (and quite reasonably) stalling until it is physically impossible to finish the season by 1st. June, IMHO. They can void the season then at the end of May.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Albion have already stopped training..

They are undertaking fitness training by themselves.

Wisely. Happy to hear.

Two Swedish teams played a friendly yesterday. Multiple players thought it was madness.

Some Danish teams are training in groups of three.

Very dumb to take those kinds of risks when its obvious to everyone that football is far away.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
And who pays for the extra monthly wage bill if the season is extended ? Will Sky pay more ? Surely they don't pay again until next season starts.

There's talk of them asking for £750m from clubs if we don't finish the season. Any idea of scrapping football for a year and starting again in March 21 is a non-starter, there'd be no Sky money for a year, clubs wouldn't be able to pay players.

The medical folk from Imperial College were talking of a shutdown of at least five months this morning. This means that football won't start again until mid-August, at best. If they sped up everything, they'd have to start the next season by mid-October. They could just about do that if they scrap cup matches but it would be tight.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
There's talk of them asking for £750m from clubs if we don't finish the season. Any idea of scrapping football for a year and starting again in March 21 is a non-starter, there'd be no Sky money for a year, clubs wouldn't be able to pay players.

The medical folk from Imperial College were talking of a shutdown of at least five months this morning. This means that football won't start again until mid-August, at best. If they sped up everything, they'd have to start the next season by mid-October. They could just about do that if they scrap cup matches but it would be tight.

The problem with the Imperial model is that at the conclusion of five months, still very few people will have been infected (or known to have been infected).

And whilst games could be played behind closed doors, there is still the high likelihood of players and coaches etc getting infected on an ongoing basis, causing more periods of self-isolation etc.

junior

Dec 1, 2003
Didsbury, Manchester
I can see this changing football forever. How will mkst clubs outside the premier leauge finance their existences? Once they players stop getting paid (which won't be long i shouldn't think as some lower leauge clubs struggle to pay players as it is) they will want/need to seek employment elsewhere, except other clubs won't need them either so they will have to look outside of football. Once they are not professional footballers anymore, is there still professional football?

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Personally I think it makes most sense to complete all 19/20 leagues and competitions. Whenever football can re-start, they should programme that in and work out the rest from there. Could mean a reduced 20/21 season, bins some cup competitions, or might just take longer to stagger the dates back to a normal year start / end.

The 22/23 league will be all over the shop anyway due to the Qatar WC which is Nov-Dec 2022.

I appreciate clubs not doing well this season may see aborting it as beneficial, but it will create a huge mess if they do that. I think it would be less mess to conclude all competitions - even if that has to happen later in the year if football cannot start before then.

I thought June was meant to be the peak of this thing in the UK so how would the league restart at that stage?!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here