Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No booze in 2013

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Have to agree with you there, by Frutos' logic he infers that you must be mentally stronger if you do not drink whilst mentally weak if you do, accepting that our culture might include challenges for both, one neednt be seen as particularly stronger than the other.

I agree, it's the judgemental, you like a drink so you must be a weak person thing. I know numerous people on anti depressants and popping diazepams every couple of hours, I guess they must be weak as well. I would rather have a nice glass of whisky or red wine after a hard days graft than be a zombie on diazepam. Some people have led very sheltered lives. My ex colleague has had a drink, several every single day for the last 25 years and he is in rude health. Best drank 6 bottles of wine a day which is over 400 units a week so 5 days drinking 30 units a week is perfectly healthy.

Last edited:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I could never knock booze on the head completely but I am manking a conscious effort to exercise more. I nrmally do twice a week so will try for 3 times and spend an hr and a half instead of an hour.

Eat more healthilty and cut down on booze and fags. But I will never cut it down to zero. Personal choice. Sometimes its just nice to have a drink and a ciggie.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I agree, it's the judgemental, you like a drink so you must be a weak person thing. I know numerous people on anti depressants and popping diazepams every couple of hours, I guess they must be weak as well.

There is a difference between "liking a drink" and "needing a drink to lubricate the wheels of your life".

Drinking to excess and taking anti-depressents like Smarties are symptoms of a weak and lazy society - instead of actually facing up to, and dealing with, issues in life (which we all have) SOME people take the easy, route of running away and burying their problems under a mountain of drugs simply because its the easy option.

Please note US that this is my personal opinion, to which I am fully entitled. It is not a personal attack on you or indeed anyone else, so don't bother engaging your usual high horse flounce mode because someone has dared to disagree with or contradict you.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I agree, it's the judgemental, you like a drink so you must be a weak person thing. I know numerous people on anti depressants and popping diazepams every couple of hours, I guess they must be weak as well. I would rather have a nice glass of whisky or red wine after a hard days graft than be a zombie on diazepam. Some people have led very sheltered lives. My ex colleague has had a drink, several every single day for the last 25 years and he is in rude health. Best drank 6 bottles of wine a day which is over 400 units a week so 5 days drinking 30 units a week is perfectly healthy.

30 units a week is above the MAXIMUM limit for a male, so I would not really agree that it is "perfectly healthy". However, it is not necessarily a problem either. Is anyone on this thread suggesting it is though?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
There is a difference between "liking a drink" and "needing a drink to lubricate the wheels of your life".

Drinking to excess and taking anti-depressents like Smarties are symptoms of a weak and lazy society - instead of actually facing up to, and dealing with, issues in life (which we all have) SOME people take the easy, route of running away and burying their problems under a mountain of drugs simply because its the easy option.

Please note US that this is my personal opinion, to which I am fully entitled. It is not a personal attack on you or indeed anyone else, so don't bother engaging your usual high horse flounce mode because someone has dared to disagree with or contradict you.

You are doing yourself a disservice by bracketing prescribed medication with alcohol.

Certain medication is prescribed by doctors as a way of helping people who have a chemical imbalance in the brain. It is not the same as getting drunk to avoid your problems. Not even close.

Please don't make the mistake of going down the "pull yourself together" mentality towards mental illness. Its a neanderthal approach. A mental illness (chemical inbalance in the brain) is no different to a physical illness in the way it requires treatment.

Poor form, buddy. Expected better from you as you are usually a wise and thoughtful poster.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
30 units a week is above the MAXIMUM limit for a male, so I would not really agree that it is "perfectly healthy". However, it is not necessarily a problem either. Is anyone on this thread suggesting it is though?

The Maximum according to who ? The BMI after pressure from the government plucked a figure out of the air with no medical evidence or facts behind it and aired on the cautious side. Other reports have said a normal male could process 60 units a week with no long term ill health. I also agree that Frutos's comments are very disapointing in this day and age and shows society have simply not moved on in understanding depression and the struggles some people have with it.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
You are doing yourself a disservice by bracketing prescribed medication with alcohol.

Certain medication is prescribed by doctors as a way of helping people who have a chemical imbalance in the brain. It is not the same as getting drunk to avoid your problems. Not even close.

Please don't make the mistake of going down the "pull yourself together" mentality towards mental illness. Its a neanderthal approach. A mental illness (chemical inbalance in the brain) is no different to a physical illness in the way it requires treatment.

Poor form, buddy. Expected better from you as you are usually a wise and thoughtful poster.

I have no objection to prescribed medication used as you describe to treat chemical imbalances, and you are quite right in what you say that it requires treatment the same as any physical condition would do.

My comments were aimed more in the direction of those who choose to abuse the system in search of an easy life because they prefer (and I believe it is a conscious, rational choice in some people) to run and hide behind a chemical curtain rather than seeking the help they require.

My apologies if my post made you think that I am a devotee of the "pull yourself together" school of thought, that is certainly not the case. All I am is anti those who choose to use drugs (of any kind) as an escape route from the difficulties of life

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I think alcohol can have a positive role to play for social drinkers and of course there must be limits and the annual audit of your own personal consumption seems a good thing at times, so if thats what New Years prompts us to do then fine by me.

But I am in the US camp here where alcohol drunk responsibly can make you laugh harder and longer, rationalise the stresses of our lives and improve a bonding of friendship that maybe a latte and a cookie will never deliver.

As you grow older and funerals become more frequent and the randomness of those you bury, you really do look at government figures with a large pinch of salt, low sodium of course,

So if you want to give up, reduce or carry on drinking good luck to you, but generally if you fancy a laugh leave the teetotaller at home !!!

D

Deleted member 18477

I could never knock booze on the head completely but I am manking a conscious effort to exercise more. I nrmally do twice a week so will try for 3 times and spend an hr and a half instead of an hour.

Eat more healthilty and cut down on booze and fags. But I will never cut it down to zero. Personal choice. Sometimes its just nice to have a drink and a ciggie.

nice to have a ciggie? what the f**k!

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I have no objection to prescribed medication used as you describe to treat chemical imbalances, and you are quite right in what you say that it requires treatment the same as any physical condition would do.

My comments were aimed more in the direction of those who choose to abuse the system in search of an easy life because they prefer (and I believe it is a conscious, rational choice in some people) to run and hide behind a chemical curtain rather than seeking the help they require.

My apologies if my post made you think that I am a devotee of the "pull yourself together" school of thought, that is certainly not the case. All I am is anti those who choose to use drugs (of any kind) as an escape route from the difficulties of life

Fair enough. Did think it would be somewhat/unusual out of character for you to be part of the "pull yourself together" group.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Some people do OK on a bit of booze!!

Despite all this activity Churchill’s daily routine changed little during these years. He awoke about 7:30 a.m. and remained in bed for a substantial breakfast and reading of mail and all the national newspapers. For the next couple of hours, still in bed, he worked, dictating to his secretaries.

At 11:00 a.m., he arose, bathed, and perhaps took a walk around the garden, and took a weak whisky and soda to his study.

At 1:00 p.m. he joined guests and family for a three-course lunch. Clementine drank claret, Winston champagne, preferable Pol Roger served at a specific temperature, port brandy and cigars. When lunch ended, about 3:30 p.m. he returned to his study to work, or supervised work on his estate, or played cards or backgammon with Clementine.

At 5:00 p.m., after another weak whisky and soda, he went to be for an hour and a half. He said this siesta, a habit gained in Cuba, allowed him to work 1 1/2 days in every 24 hours. At 6:30 p.m. he awoke, bathed again, and dressed for dinner at 8:00 p.m.

Dinner was the focal-point and highlight of Churchill’s day. Table talk, dominated by Churchill, was as important as the meal. Sometimes, depending on the company, drinks and cigars extended the event well past midnight. The guests retired, Churchill returned to his study for another hour or so of work.

But others dont, its all about control IMHO...BTW I know I drink too much so I am trying the dry Jan this year. Does Guinness count??

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
If you are a reasonably big drinker, I think it would be very difficult to suddenly cut down to zero. And why just for a year? What about at the end of that year? Do you hope the habit has just stuck and you don't return to your old ways?

In all honesty finance is a huge motivator for me as have a baby arriving in 9 weeks and my wife not going back to work so no boozing will save quite a bit of cash.

Dunno what happens at the end of 2013. If I have made it can seriously see myself giving up for good.

Havent had a drink since 30th December now and went for a run today and covered 4 miles with ease, where I usually flake out after two.

Placebo effect I know, but feel better already.

Great username btw.

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

Best post on the thread so far. I'm a keen runner and love a beer too. Best is to cut down on the booze and exercise more. Becoming teetotal when you quite like the odd beer doesn't make sense.

You may not be drinking, but alcohol is still controlling your life...

LU7 RED

Nov 5, 2010
Leighton Buzzard

Best post on the thread so far. I'm a keen runner and love a beer too. Best is to cut down on the booze and exercise more. Becoming teetotal when you quite like the odd beer doesn't make sense.

You may not be drinking, but alcohol is still controlling your life...

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
In all honesty finance is a huge motivator for me as have a baby arriving in 9 weeks and my wife not going back to work so no boozing will save quite a bit of cash.

Dunno what happens at the end of 2013. If I have made it can seriously see myself giving up for good.

Havent had a drink since 30th December now and went for a run today and covered 4 miles with ease, where I usually flake out after two.

Placebo effect I know, but feel better already.

Great username btw.

Cheers mate!

Best of luck to you with this year and your new arrival.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I lost a whole heap of weight when I had my blood clotting episode which came within a whisker of being terminal and unfortunately its crept back up and I need to loose at least a stone and a half. I have decided to knock alcohol on the head for a month or two ( although I have to be careful as if you do anything out of the ordinary, it could affect your IRN readings and thus your warfarin dose)

I am sure I can do without drink...I can only drink 2 to 3 units a day anyway so I am not a heavy drinker anyway.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
Well have managed the first two months of 2013 without a drink, and to be honest it has been a lot easier than I thought it would be.

Think the summer will be much more challenging though, with BBQ's and lazy days sitting in pub gardens ahead of me.

Still so far so good

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here