Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No booze in 2013

peejay1958

Aug 22, 2011
Southwick
Heard on the radio today that rather than give up drinking for the whole of January it's better to have 2-3 dry days a week. The problem with abstaining for a month is that you are likely to drink more heavily afterwards to make up for it.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
I know this bloke better than anyone on here. If he does it will be the most incredible achievement in the history of the world ever! And on this day next year he will go on the biggest bender known to man!!!! Good luck though mate....

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I'm doing it for Jan (1st ever attempt) and then if I can bare dancing sober might stick to it rest of the year I was thinking. After Jan might allow myself a single beer at footie or a single glass of wine/port on a Sunday but plan is to cut out completly the whole getting bladdered one weekend a month now about to hit 30

Good luck to all those trying

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
Heard on the radio today that rather than give up drinking for the whole of January it's better to have 2-3 dry days a week. The problem with abstaining for a month is that you are likely to drink more heavily afterwards to make up for it.

I had the whole of January off a couple of years ago and felt fantastic at the end of the month, lost about a stone in weight as well but the February was a bit messy. I now try not to drink anything between Monday to Friday and act a bit more adult at the weekends. Funniest thing whilst "on the wagon" is realising what bunch of twats your mates are as they are getting pissed and knowing that's how you must act when you're on the fizz. Seriously though Snook, good luck with it, just be sure you really want it for you!

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I know this bloke better than anyone on here. If he does it will be the most incredible achievement in the history of the world ever! And on this day next year he will go on the biggest bender known to man!!!! Good luck though mate....

I was waiting for you or Dempo to show up on this thread mate.

Am feeling quietly confident about it.

Just gotta work out what im gonna spend all my money on!!

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I cannot think of anything worse than giving up drinking. I only drink half a bottle of wine a night plus some cans of lager and a few scotches so I'm not a heavy drinker (a bit more at weekends admittedly), but even the thought of reducing my modest intake fills me with dread.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Being teetotal is bad for your health and that is a medical fact. It will go down as a down mark on a life cover application. Moderate drinking will add around 4 years to your life expectancy. Do as you see fit Snook.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I would say around 30 units of alcohol a week with a mixture of beer and red wine with 2 alcohol free days a week is the way to a long and happy life. It is only worth giving up completely if the alcohol is in control of you and not the other way around. I will cut down but could not imagine never having a drink again as frankly it is one of the few pleasures left in these austere times.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I would say around 30 units of alcohol a week with a mixture of beer and red wine with 2 alcohol free days a week is the way to a long and happy life. It is only worth giving up completely if the alcohol is in control of you and not the other way around. I will cut down but could not imagine never having a drink again as frankly it is one of the few pleasures left in these austere times.

Mostly agree but I know from friends of mine they have only got to this level following a drastic month tee total. It can be used as a stepping stone to break a few habits before moving forward with a bit more moderation.

i would say around 30 units of alcohol a week with a mixture of beer and red wine with 2 alcohol free days a week is the way to a long and happy life. It is only worth giving up completely if the alcohol is in control of you and not the other way around. I will cut down but could not imagine never having a drink again as frankly it is one of the few pleasures left in these austere times.

walking in the woods? Even robin hood enjoyed that in very austere times.

bennibenj

Mar 6, 2011
Sompting
@Snook good on you buddy, genuinely wish you all the best for this effort.

Used to be a drinker, couple cans a night midweek and a few on Fri/Sat nights maybe Sunday afternoon too. Went from that to Zero when I went on medication (for something separate from Alcohol). I was on medication for just over a year, gradually came off it and was then ok the to drink. Now, it really doesnt bother me not to drink beer etc. Had 1 xmas day, next beer will be beginning of Feb when having my belated birthday get together but really could go all evening on diet coke or something non alcoholic. No hangovers and feeling fresh most morning is class.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Mostly agree but I know from friends of mine they have only got to this level following a drastic month tee total. It can be used as a stepping stone to break a few habits before moving forward with a bit more moderation.

Fair enough if it is needed when things have got out of control but I don't get the random " I am never going to have a drink again " as a drink lubricates the wheels of life and its struggles. It's like getting out of bed one morning and saying " I am never going to have sex again ", it makes no sense.

Fair enough if it is needed when things have got out of control but I don't get the random " I am never going to have a drink again " as a drink lubricates the wheels of life and its struggles. It's like getting out of bed one morning and saying " I am never going to have sex again ", it makes no sense.

it depends who's left in the bed?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here