Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nike strip next season?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can someone enlighten me please.

Why does Nike = generic kit?

Clearly beyond the Albion kit isn't my thing.

I see the word generic and think if us Sheffield Wed :lol: and Huddersfield were all in a Nike kit, they'd all be identical, that's not right is it?

Shirley within the deal for kit manufacture the club says 'and we decide what the kit will look like, within reason'.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham

I see the word generic and think if us Sheffield Wed :lol: and Huddersfield were all in a Nike kit, they'd all be identical, that's not right is it?

Shirley within the deal for kit manufacture the club says 'and we decide what the kit will look like, within reason'.

Generic kit is a NSC thing, it's just something else for the goons to moan at - who else would really give a shit

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I quite like this one but with the right colour blue in the stripes of course

image.jpg

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
My dream would be adidas with diagonal stripes.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
nike kits are a million times more comfortable than adidas - and the adidas templates have been complete shite for the past few years

still rather have under armour

Under Armour produce some beautiful kits. Would love it to be them to be honest

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Each year to two The big manufacturers design half a dozen shirt styles, striped, hooped, plain, coloured sleeves, collar, no collar, etc. and make them available to teams. Smaller, and Lower league teams will take them as they come, in the colours made available, they stick on their badge, sponsors etc and away they go, think Scunthorpe, Peterborough etc. Bigger teams might choose customise them to a degree regarding colourways, trim etc, so long as they buy enough of them, think Southampton, Fulham, Stoke and Sunderland (and most of the Premier League teams). Then the big teams, well they go to the manufacturers and have bespoke kits designed and made for them. In some cases, such as the 'V' pattern that Man Utd had a couple of years ago, that went on to become a template shirt that is now used by lower league and pub teams all over.

For some reason the smaller manufacturers are able to offer bespoke kits for smaller requirements, like ours historically, personally that is what I'd prefer.

So I'm taking a guess that if we go down the Nike/Adidas/Puma route we'll end up with a generic/template kit, maybe with a custom colour/trim arrangement, or if we go for a smaller brand, we might get a unique kit.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I'd also LOVE IT if we had a cotton shirt like they do for rugby so it didn't make you stink after five minutes.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Each year to two The big manufacturers design half a dozen shirt styles, striped, hooped, plain, coloured sleeves, collar, no collar, etc. and make them available to teams. Smaller, and Lower league teams will take them as they come, in the colours made available, they stick on their badge, sponsors etc and away they go, think Scunthorpe, Peterborough etc. Bigger teams might choose customise them to a degree regarding colourways, trim etc, so long as they buy enough of them, think Southampton, Fulham, Stoke and Sunderland (and most of the Premier League teams). Then the big teams, well they go to the manufacturers and have bespoke kits designed and made for them. In some cases, such as the 'V' pattern that Man Utd had a couple of years ago, that went on to become a template shirt that is now used by lower league and pub teams all over.

For some reason the smaller manufacturers are able to offer bespoke kits for smaller requirements, like ours historically, personally that is what I'd prefer.

So I'm taking a guess that if we go down the Nike/Adidas/Puma route we'll end up with a generic/template kit, maybe with a custom colour/trim arrangement, or if we go for a smaller brand, we might get a unique kit.
Thanks.

Clearly we're not a top 6 side when it comes to replica kits.
But by the same token, were not s'thrope Pboro either.

I'd like to think our brand, attendances, partners (Amex) would make us a big enough catch to gain the club some leverage with a big boy manufacturer.
Even if at the end of the day we are still just a drop in the ocean, to them.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
As the expert, do you know if any footy teams play in cotton shirts? They go to all this effort to make special new fabrics but they're always sweaty as hell.

There have been a number of attempts, United had a really weird fabric 10 years or so ago, sort of fluffy on the inside, like a light fleece, it was ghastly. I think it was Umbro, and there were similar efforts for England and others. Brighton did something similar with Spall, 1987-1989. Recent attempts by Umbro, like the recent England shirts, tried to make the fabric less nylony and they succeeded to a degree, the fabric is soft and slightly more cotton like, but since Nike dumped them, they seem to have disappeared a bit, although Nike have got a quite similar fabric on their new kits.

I think it might come down to the sublimation dye processes, to get the vivid, colourfast colours, durability, lightweightedness, ease of washing etc that makes them use the fabrics they do. I must confess, on the occasions I wear them, I don't think they are that uncomfortable, particularly our shirts since 2008 when Errea started developing and using technical fabrics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here