Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Pearson at it again.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
1) If he'd done nothing wrong, why did he feel the need he apologise?

2) He was the one that mentioned about criticism of his players. The local journo picked up on this and went with his own line of questioning, which is completely fair enough. As has been pointed out by a number of people, most coverage about Leicester players has been positive this season, and they have admitted that the team has been unlucky on a number of occasions.

It's never good when the journalist becomes the story, and when I first heard the first part of the clip, I couldn't really understand what all the fuss what about. But the rest, where Pearson is baiting him, and mocking his follow-up question is just plain rude (hence, the apology, I guess). I notice that he still didn't name the players, or explain exactly what his problem was...

Having said all that, I thought Pat Murphy took it too far. Like I say, it's never good when the story is about the journalist – not journalism – but Murphy just seemed to be (mostly) fuelling the fire. Good for him for sticking up for the journo in question, but it seemed almost as egotistical, to me, as Pearson's initial outburst.

Ah, well, there'll no doubt be another PL drama for people to get excited about today and the circus will move on...

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Pathetic from Pat Murphy. "Standing up for other journalists" - what a load of twaddle. The previous spat was dealt with, and the other journalist could look after himself.
Sure Nigel Pearson is a bit of a d*ck but why was Pat Murphy allowed to get away with so blatantly baiting him?
It's just journalists trying to create stories about journalists.
Can't believe Pat is getting pats on the back for this.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02qbr98 MURPHY interviewing PEARSON after the ruckus

Follow up worth listening too..i quite like Pat Murphy ...Pearson sounds a right willy and yet Leicester have been playing some good stuff

Murphy said ''have you ever thought about anger management'' ..i nearly choked at that one :D
Pearson lost it in the press conference earlier, but I feel I'm siding with him in that interview with Pat Murphy. Murphy just wanted to repeat the question that got Pearson annoyed and have a go at him, so Nigel just said they had different opinions.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Brilliant - can Murphy do this to Van Gaal and Mourinho as well?

I don't think Mourinho ever reacts to journalists in the same way that Pearson was the other night, or Van Gaal was to the MoTD guy. It's just plain rude.

The journalists are just doing their job - asking questions, regardless of how stupid or inane they are. As we've seen, sometimes, the more stupid the question, the better the response. All Pearson had to do, was justify his statement with a few facts. The fact he didn't – in my opinion – made HIM come across as a bit 'stupid' and 'silly'.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I don't think Mourinho ever reacts to journalists in the same way that Pearson was the other night, or Van Gaal was to the MoTD guy. It's just plain rude.

The journalists are just doing their job - asking questions, regardless of how stupid or inane they are. As we've seen, sometimes, the more stupid the question, the better the response. All Pearson had to do, was justify his statement with a few facts. The fact he didn't – in my opinion – made HIM come across as a bit 'stupid' and 'silly'.

I think the media are genuinely a bit perplexed as they're wanting to wax lyrical about the miraculous turnaround at Leicester, it's a wonderful story at the moment, and they're being met by this negative brick wall.

I think Pearson is outthinking himself. I think he is trying to make a siege mentality, but no one is creating a siege. It's like he feels they're trying to trip him up, but they're actually being supportive of what he's doing.

Just engage with the press, they want to talk about Leicester, they want this to be one of the great survival stories, and yet they're getting nothing back from the manager. It's all very odd from Nigel I've got to say.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Can't help thinking there might be a few folk dressed as ostriches turning up at the last Leicester City home match.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003

I think Mourhino is just as rude - he's just more sneaky in the way he goes about it so it's not as obvious.

Although here's a pretty obvious example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eFQuG-39Yfo

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Murphy was right. You have to stand up for decency. Imagine if some of the plebs on this forum had power. God help humanity. Having said all that, Pearson has done a cracking job on the football side and in the knee jerk environment his future depends on whether the Foxes survive …. probably.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Murphy was like a dog with a bone there, totally unnecessary. Pearson was a dick in the first place, but he apologised to the guy at the outset and that should have put the thing to bed. Pearson did well to keep his cool in the face of some relentlessly tedious baiting by Murphy, who was clearly just angling to try and get another big reaction. By the end of Murphys cod amateur psychoanalysis, I'd have been tempted to tell him to DO one.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Pearson doesnt do himself any favours does he ,and after that interview I dont think Murphy has either .Mourhino is so far up his own arriss he believes he is above everyone else and conceited is an understatement ,the difference is he is very successful being like that and has got it down to a fine art .

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Murphy was right. You have to stand up for decency.
But Pearson had already apologised, so there was no need for Murphy to start fishing for another reaction.

Monsieur Le Plonk

Lethargy in motion
Apr 22, 2009
By a lake
Feck that was embarrassing and I fear for Pearson. He's clearly floundering and these journalists who are trained to ask questions for a living are going to be smelling blood and lining up to take him down with similar question and answer sessions. Very uncomfortable viewing.
Pearson should be protected by those around him and left to concentrate on his relegation battles whilst another club employee field the questions.

jimbob5

Banned
Sep 18, 2014
Feck that was embarrassing and I fear for Pearson. He's clearly floundering and these journalists who are trained to ask questions for a living are going to be smelling blood and lining up to take him down with similar question and answer sessions. Very uncomfortable viewing.
Pearson should be protected by those around him and left to concentrate on his relegation battles whilst another club employee field the questions.
Like the bloke says a few posts up, you can get away with it more, if you're successful and as we all know, success can be short lived in this game.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On the contrary, it was refreshing to see someone put one of these demi gods in their place lad.
You think Nigel Pearson is a demi god?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But Pearson had already apologised, so there was no need for Murphy to start fishing for another reaction.

Is this what counts as an apology in the Premier League nowadays? Wow! Total la-la land :nono:

[video]http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32537484[/video]

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The bottom line is Pearson is good for the media because he gives them column inches, he is also a manager under intense pressure right now. I thought Pat Murphy went on too long there, he had a point and over-egged it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here