Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Big budget or otherwise, Adkins' taking Saints up to the Prem trumps anything that Gus has done. IF I ran Reading I would be tapping Adkins RIGHT UP.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Gus 72 wins - Adkins 70

Gus games played - 161

Adkins games played - 159

So Gus has the EVER so slightly better record over the last 4 seasons. Over to you [MENTION=26967]Between The Lines[/MENTION] as you've been proven well wrong...

Very clever not to include Adkins stats from his two L1 promotions with Scunthorpe whose budget was miniscule.

He also kept 5k Scunny up once which was a great achivevement and then took Saints up with successive promotions.

I think he has 4 promotions in 7 seasons (4/6 if you discount the Prem season).

Clearly this is superior to Poyet's record?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Gus 72 wins - Adkins 70

Gus games played - 161

Adkins games played - 159

So Gus has the EVER so slightly better record over the last 4 seasons. Over to you [MENTION=26967]Between The Lines[/MENTION] as you've been proven well wrong...

I perhaps should have made it clearer that his management career with Scunthorpe extends back to 2006 according to Wikipedia, so he does have more wins under his belt, I was just restricting to the seasons they have both been in management, because it was late and I was being lazy.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Very clever not to include Adkins stats from his two L1 promotions with Scunthorpe whose budget was miniscule.

He also kept 5k Scunny up once which was a great achivevement and then took Saints up with successive promotions.

Not so much clever, more 'lazy'. I don't have any preconceived ideas of who has the better record, I was just providing the stats, and stuck to the last four seasons because I was being lazy and convinced myself it would be unfair to include a time period when gus isn't in management, so restricted it to when they both were. If no one else provides them, I will update it later this evening when on my laptop.

Between The Lines

Feb 15, 2013
Hove
Not so much clever, more 'lazy'. I don't have any preconceived ideas of who has the better record, I was just providing the stats, and stuck to the last four seasons because I was being lazy and convinced myself it would be unfair to include a time period when gus isn't in management, so restricted it to when they both were. If no one else provides them, I will update it later this evening when on my laptop.

Fair enough. To be honest Adkins record is unlikely to be something he can keep up over the course of a career as 4 promotions in 7 seasons (at least 3 automatic) is very, very good and currently is far superior to what Poyet has achieved, albeit over a longer time period.

dragonred

Aug 8, 2011
Hove
I'll probably get shot down but having seen Saints play twice this year via a saints friend, I thought Adkins had them playing good football - decent passing but also far higher tempo than us - certainly not hoof ball for sure - at that level and against far superior teams it didn't get him the wins but if he came here I think with a few additions he'd having us watch football more often than got the crowd fully engaged - as much as Gus's style is good on the eye when it all clicks together, the lack of tempo at times and the inability to switch to a more direct style when it is clearly needed to get back into a game, definitely makes the Amex get restless and go quiet - I for one would have no problem with Adkins, he has got results to his name and comes across as a manager who his players hugely liked, who didn't have obvious cliques in his squad and who would do his business in private and express his gratitude to TB for the opportunity - because BHA is one hell of a great opportunity for any manager these days. I sometimes feel Gus thinks he is doing the club a favour whereas it is the other way around....

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

I perhaps should have made it clearer that his management career with Scunthorpe extends back to 2006 according to Wikipedia, so he does have more wins under his belt, I was just restricting to the seasons they have both been in management, because it was late and I was being lazy.

You can't compare a year on year record if Gus wasn't managing though. And i'm sure the stats aren't hugely different either way. Your second point proves what i was saying in the first place - just because a manager has a higher win % it doesn't mean they're the better manager always does it...

My opinion is Gus is a better manager and certainly will be in the future if he isn't yet (in your opinion)

Mar 10, 2006
If Reading wanted Adkins then why didn't they approach him the minute Mcdermott went especially as the international break would have given him time to settle in and work with the squad

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Importantly, Southampton sacked Adkins because they thought he wasn't a Prem League manager and they could do better. Therefore, if you're going to sack McDermott because you want a manager to keep you up then surely you don't appoint a bloke who has been founding wanting in that department already this season?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Adkins had 3 times the budget.
Their player wages in the first promotion season, were that much higher, and we still pipped them.

We didn't "pip" them. We ****ing DESTROYED them. 16 points clear.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Importantly, Southampton sacked Adkins because they thought he wasn't a Prem League manager and they could do better. Therefore, if you're going to sack McDermott because you want a manager to keep you up then surely you don't appoint a bloke who has been founding wanting in that department already this season?

I fairness to him (and I think he's a big-mouthed tit) he'd been found 'wanting' by a Southampton board whose side are doing rather better than Reading. It doesn't necessarily follow that he'd have taken them down if they hadn't made the change - all opinions, ain't it?

If it does all happen, and Poyet leaves, and Adkins is seriously linked with us, I'd be dead-set against his appointment, personally. Not just because of my aforementioned distaste for the bloke, but because - given our recent run-ins with him - how much time is he going to get from the support? Wouldn't be much of a honeymoon period, would it? Lose your first couple and people will already have made their minds up.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Isn't Mr Adkins on 'gardening leave' till the end of the season? Thereby making him unable to sign for another club until that time.

Just commenting on a theory I heard last night :)

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If he was unable to sign until the end of the season why would every bookie have him a second favourite?

Outside of the Prem Adkins has been incredibly successful, so deserves respect in that regard. Personally, I can't see him as Albion manager. Conversely, I can see Di Matteo as Albion manager, although he wouldn't be my choice.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Isn't Mr Adkins on 'gardening leave' till the end of the season? Thereby making him unable to sign for another club until that time.

Gardening leave just means he is still technically employed, like gus. So if reading want him they have to buy out his contract. I also has the added benefit for Southampton that they pay him his wages as normal rather than pay off his contract in a lump sum. It should be cheaper for reading to buy Adkins contract than it would be for them to buy gus's, since we want gus, and Southampton would want Adkins off their wage bill.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I’d prefer Poyet to stay but if it look like he might go the club need to have Adkins lined up to take over in time for the Forest game. Say what you like about him during our little faux rivalry but he comes across very professionally (albeit with a few slightly irritating clichés) has proven he can manage budgets at both ends of the spectrum and also has a similar footballing ethos than Gus, played at an exciting pace.

Get Adkins and Dean Wilkins and promote Calderon for communication purposes and I genuinely feel we’ll reach the play offs.

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
From a footballing point of view - Adkins would be good and fit in with our present style - maybe even improve us.

BUT- what a complete **** - I don't think I could put up with the post match interviews.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
We didn't "pip" them. We ****ing DESTROYED them. 16 points clear.

Adkins wasn't in charge from the start though was he? He missed the first five league games of the season so that 16 point claim could be considered slightly misleading in much the same way that the argument that Southampton got within 3 points of us can also be given the way we eased off after winning the title.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here