Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I don't understand why Adkins would take a job now, trying to cover others mistakes, with a team virtually relegated, when he can wait and take the job in the summer without having a relegation on his CV He doesn't need the money as he is still being paid by Southampton.

Because the job might not be his to take, in the summer?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I don't understand why Adkins would take a job now, trying to cover others mistakes, with a team virtually relegated, when he can wait and take the job in the summer without having a relegation on his CV He doesn't need the money as he is still being paid by Southampton.

No manager taking the Reading job will have "a relegation on their CV". They are all but down. Their next manager wil have a slim chance of a miraculous escape or, more likely, the opportunity to attack the Championship with a big kitty.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
So is Gus merely being offered the chance to impress them in an interview? Sod that. I'd be giving them two big fingers if it were me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
No manager taking the Reading job will have "a relegation on their CV". They are all but down. Their next manager wil have a slim chance of a miraculous escape or, more likely, the opportunity to attack the Championship with a big kitty.

The argument against that is that there are still 24 points to play for so relegation isnt inevitable, although I think they will get relegated as they ae not strong enough in many positions.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The argument against that is that there are still 24 points to play for so relegation isnt inevitable, although I think they will get relegated as they ae not strong enough in many positions.

No there is no argument. A manager taking a team over that is 7 points adrift with 8 games to play is never going to have "a relegation on their CV".

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

No there is no argument. A manager taking a team over that is 7 points adrift with 8 games to play is never going to have "a relegation on their CV".
But no manager is going to walk in with a '13-'14 Championship game plan.

Matey boy Ruskie must be including a massive stay up financial incentive, and all of the managers being encouraged to sniff around will back themselves to perform that miracle.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I never get the attitude 'why would X go there, they aren't good' it seems a bit naive to me, since most people considering going will be thinking they will be e ones to improve it, they won't think by going there they will make no difference.

Adkins is clearly the sort to have the confidence that he could overturn a 7 point deficit in 8 games, but would also realise he wouldn't be responsible for failing to do it and would likely be given a chance in the championship where he will have the confidence he could repeat last season's success.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Results largely suggest otherwise.

Maybe, but that's not as black and white a proof as you'd think. You can easily lose more games yet still be a better manager no?

Ps pls provide the stats to back this up though..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
No stats needed, Adkins record as a Manager is better than Poyets.

You sure? Had a number of seasons struggling with A funny in Champs I think. My point is a % doesn't necessarily mean a better manager. You need to take into account what LG the team they're managing is in, budgets etc. It's not always as black and white..

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
You sure? Had a number of seasons struggling with A funny in Champs I think. My point is a % doesn't necessarily mean a better manager. You need to take into account what LG the team they're managing is in, budgets etc. It's not always as black and white..

As best as I can tell, these are the league records from start of the 2009/10 season. (Gus started later that year, and has survived longer this year).

gus v adkins.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Results largely suggest otherwise.

Adkins had 3 times the budget.
Their player wages in the first promotion season, were that much higher, and we still pipped them.

Same next season and half. With a paid for (by an Administration) stadium, they invested far more in fees and player wages, giving on paper far better players, due to the generosity of the Liebherr Estate.

And their much admired academy was producing the goods long before, during and after his time there.

Gus more than held in his own, on far lower resources.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
As best as I can tell, these are the league records from start of the 2009/10 season. (Gus started later that year, and has survived longer this year).

View attachment 40637

Gus 72 wins - Adkins 70

Gus games played - 161

Adkins games played - 159

So Gus has the EVER so slightly better record over the last 4 seasons. Over to you [MENTION=26967]Between The Lines[/MENTION] as you've been proven well wrong...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here