Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins to be offered the job

Basil Fawlty

Don't Mention The War
If this our Number One choice. Then I can't understand why he would want to drop down a division, after guiding Scunthorpe to the Championship and sitting comfortably in mid-table and a fantastic win against Newcastle under his belt. It doesn't make sense to me.....

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Not happy with this. At the end of the day he's a physio who got the caretakers job and got lucky. I won't deny him what he's achieved, because he bloke has done very well, but I am concerned that it was at time and a place thing. I just can't see it happening at another club...

Maybe thats what Adkins wants to prove? That he isn't just a one-club wonder who can't do it elsewhere? maybe he has put out feelers for other championship jobs and been knocked back? If so, then we are a perfect fit - underachieving this season so its hard to do badly, whereas he hopefully proves that he can do it elsewhere, and then moves on to the upper reaches of football management. I imagine it has a certain attraction to him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
If this our Number One choice. Then I can't understand why he would want to drop down a division, after guiding Scunthorpe to the Championship and sitting comfortably in mid-table and a fantastic win against Newcastle under his belt. It doesn't make sense to me.....

Because mid-table is boring? Because keeping Scunny safe this season is about as good as it will get for the Irons? Because he wants to prove he can do the same thing at another club? Because he is ambitious, but no-one else is giving him a chance?

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Cannot see why people are saying we need manager with experience to get out of this league. Roberto Di Matteo was doing alright at MK Dons in his first job and is doing brilliantly at West Brom. It is what you may have learned from playing under good managers that count and being able to replecate that in your first job. Therefore OGS and Poyet could do the job and have better contacts in the game than many of the others.

Its a gamble. I'll give you Di Matteo, and add in the likes of Kenny Dalgleish, Aidy Boothroyd and Nigel Adkins who did instantly well with next to no experience.

I'll also mention John Barnes, Tony Adams, Peter Shilton, Martin Hinshelwood, Jeff Wood and probably thousands of others who didn't.

Bloom is a good gambler, so presumably doesn't like taking silly risks. I'd be a surprised if it was someone with no experience

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
My hopes are higher than survival in the Championship.

So are mine. but....

We have achieved survival in the championship in precisely one season in the past 18. Soon to be 1 in 19. Shortly after will be 1 in 20.

If our next manager achieves survival in the championship within the next 3 seasons he will be lauded by all of us. I would then expect that same manager to bugger off to a top championship/premiership side pretty rapido, at which point we will hopefully continue to move forward and move on to premiership.

Maybe your young managers can go and try their luck elsewhere, at a club needing more of a miracle-worker than a steady hand, and we can pick the cream of these to take us on to the top in a few seasons. But for now, we don't need to take a gamble on a miracle, we just need a decent manager to pull a decent bunch of players into a promotion side.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here