Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Adkins to be offered the job

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I would definitely want Adkins if he wanted to come. He has taken Scunny up twice and they are not in the bottom three now. It is debatable whether he would want to drop down a division but on the other hand has he taken them as far as he can? He would also hopefully have his ready made backroom staff to bring with him (including Andy Crosby). I like the idea of Poyet with Taylor as coach but as I doubt they have worked together before it would be a big gamble.

Some people are so unrealistic on here. Just because he is not a big name like Poyet or Curbishley, they would be disappointed with him joining. To me, Adkins joining us would be a real coup.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Adkins looks like he has something about him
BUT, he has only properly managed one club, and does he have a strong enough character to handle our players. What is his transfer record? Backroom staff?

I'm sure Bloom has all this covered, but doesn't stop me being nervous about it.

He bought Hooper from Southend reserves and remember what he did to us last year.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I cannot believe people are suggesting Poyet and Taylor as both are renowned coaches so the combination probably wouldnt work.

I would be disappointed if it is Adkins as I wouldnt expect him to realise my hopes and dreams of being in the top teir of football again during my life time. What he would do is avoid relegation this season and possibly take us to lower half of the Championship, is that the height of our ambitions.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I guess it depends on how long he is willing to wait to realise those ambitions. I would say that given our catchment area there is more chance of us making the Premiership then Scunthorpe.
Partly that, but I'm sure he'll be wondering how long WE'D be prepared to give HIM. He may think he can realise his ambitions quicker and easier by going to somewhere like Coventry. His other alternative would be to wait until he can move further up the food chain to a top Championship side (Cardiff for example) if their manager ends up getting poached by a Premiership team.
Am I alone in not liking the thought of nicking someone else's manager?
As I said to Wardy above I think there is always an element of poaching - although it is usual for the clubs in higher divisions to poach lower-division managers rather than vice-versa. I think we're being a bit arrogant if we assume that currently we're a more attractive club than Scunthorpe. Could be another 'Gannon' situation where we offer him the job and he turns it down!

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I cannot believe people are suggesting Poyet and Taylor as both are renowned coaches so the combination probably wouldnt work.

I would be disappointed if it is Adkins as I wouldnt expect him to realise my hopes and dreams of being in the top teir of football again during my life time. What he would do is avoid relegation this season and possibly take us to lower half of the Championship, is that the height of our ambitions.

For f*** sake, are you ever happy?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

Who are you suggesting then?

No-one is guaranteed to take us into The Championship, let alone take us into the top flight.

Remember BBC NEWS | Health | Feeling grumpy 'is good for you' so keep up the good work and you shall realise your dream.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What he would do is avoid relegation this season and possibly take us to lower half of the Championship, is that the height of our ambitions.

That is EXACTLY what our ambitions should be for the next couple of years imo. Once we reach that level, if the then manager cannot improve on it, then he would be replaced by someone, with a much higher profile, who possibly could. We would also be seen as a plum job, which we aren't just yet. At the moment just getting into the Championship and consolidating there is the height of my ambitions, anymore is la la fantasy land at the moment. Hang in there BG for another 5 or 6 years :lolol:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
So we have two nationals saying two different people: Poyet and Adkins. The truth, right now, is we just don't know. For me Poyet, who has never managed, would be a huge risk so I wouldn't go down that road.

To be honest, I don't know much about Adkins but this is an interesting and detailed article which suggests he COULD be a shrewd appointment. Nigel Adkins Adkins diet just the tonic for united Scunny

Perhaps IF appointed, Adkins would want to bring in Andy Crosby as his assistant but is Crosby really the quality and experienced coach we so badly need?

Peter Taylor would be an excellent choice as assistant. Experienced and a superb coach. We're not going to do better than Peter Taylor in that role. It's an odd position but I find myself being clear about who I want to do the assistant's job but less so about who should become manager.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
For f*** sake, are you ever happy?

I would be if we showed some ambition. As I have said appointing Adkins shows a complete lack of ambition and emphasises the route we are likely to take, which is to be a lower championship side.

I would like TB to appoint a manager with Falmer in mind and say that avoiding relegation is this seasons aim possibly flirting near the play offs and promotion next season to go into Falmer on the back of a promotion to the Championship.

To achieve that the targets have to be set higher than Adkins and of those mentioned it must be Poyet or Curbishley or even possibly Southgate. I have this yearning for an old head and young gun team eg Tony Adams with George Graham as No 2 or Gary Stevens with Alan Mullery as No 2, or a similar combination

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I would be if we showed some ambition. As I have said appointing Adkins shows a complete lack of ambition and emphasises the route we are likely to take, which is to be a lower championship side.

I would like TB to appoint a manager with Falmer in mind and say that avoiding relegation is this seasons aim possibly flirting near the play offs and promotion next season to go into Falmer on the back of a promotion to the Championship.

To achieve that the targets have to be set higher than Adkins and of those mentioned it must be Poyet or Curbishley or even possibly Southgate. I have this yearning for an old head and young gun team eg Tony Adams with George Graham as No 2 or Gary Stevens with Alan Mullery as No 2, or a similar combination

That has got to be the biggest pile of bollocks I've read on the whole subject, and that's saying something. Good effort.

dannyboy

tfso!
Oct 20, 2003
Waikanae NZ

so you dont want adkins but you want mullery and stevens. thank god youre not the chairman:facepalm:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That has got to be the biggest pile of bollocks I've read on the whole subject, and that's saying something. Good effort.

Why what part is wrong in yoiur opinion.

To Dannyboy it is a suggestion of the type of combination I would like. A very senior old head and a young up and coming coach.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here