[Albion] Nicolás González

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
If he'd done the business in multiple leagues then i might agree with you. Never shown up at the World Cup either. Ronaldo has done more tbh.

He's not even the best player Argentina have produced!

It's not the top 6 he'd have to worry about btw, it's the journeyman center halves and the hardman enforcers that would kick the shit out of him...just so they can say they have! He'd get nowhere near the protection he gets in Spain.

Old football tropes.

He's not done business in multiple leagues, but in the best one. He has also faced teams from multiple leagues in the Champions League, performing quite well. As for not showing up in World Cups, there is no chance Argentina would have gone to the final in 2014 without him.

As for "journeyman center halves and hardmen", its not like a team like eg Osasuna are a bunch of soft tiki-taka players. And no protection? If Jack Grealish is in the same half of the pitch as a defender, he gets a free kick.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Job done :whistle:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Agreed. I also suspect a front 3 of Welbeck-Gonzalez-Trossard could become common place if we sign the lad. He seems to have an alround game that is at least the equal of Neal's.

How do you know! we haven't seen him play yet! and since when has Trossard suddenly become a front three player? His best work is either out wide or in midfield pulling the strings.

Write off Maupay at your peril too, on his day he can be very effective.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
2pm announcement?

77D087F9-29B2-4E48-B1DE-A84D4DA01A1A.jpeg

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
How do you know! we haven't seen him play yet! and since when has Trossard suddenly become a front three player? His best work is either out wide or in midfield pulling the strings.

This... This... and This!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Are we really singing a striker at long last? I'll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

There is enough videos and data of Nico online to get a good idea of how he plays, it's not last century where you need to have watched him in person to have a valid opinion.

Also, I'm not writing Maupay off at all, I just think he needs better competition for that No.9 role.

I include wingers, forwards and attacking midfielders in the 'front 3' I refer to. I can't find any line-ups where Potter doesn't use Trossard as an attacking player, he is no midfielder in terms of the passing and creativity of a Lallana or Gross or the tackling, dynamism, positioning and drive of a Bissouma. He really doesn't pull that many strings in midfield, he is normally more advanced than that except when he's giving the ball away in defence.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Was that all?

Gosh in my mind we sold the legend that was Mike Small, got in Raphael Meade as a replacement, then replaced him for a season with Stafford Browne.

As it's taken me all morning to remember his name I guess I shouldn't be surprised I had no idea of his Albion career.

Are you thinking of Mark Gall, who came in early in the relegation season after Small left? I think he was probably John Byrne's replacement. Blew hot and cold; could be brilliant one match, then you virtually never saw him in the next one, and he had a Maupay-like propensity for missing sitters, alongside scoring some fairly brilliant goals. He just seemed to leave without trace after that season; I've no idea whether we got a fee for him, but I did hear rumours, no idea whether credible, and I can't remember from whom I heard this, that he was a disruptive influence in the dressing room. We started the next season with Steve Cotterill and Paul Moulden on loan.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
This... This... and This!

Agreed, Maupay has scored some belters, such as his opening day one at Watford, the Burnley volley and the winner against Arsenal. I hope he can recapture his first season form. Sadly, though, he has missed some chances that were far easier than the ones he scored (even Christiano Ronaldo does that), but I think something was obviously not right last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports