Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Nicolás González

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
If Percy Tau's potential transfer to Royal Antwerp is finalised and announced then that could signal that the Gonzalez transfer is very much on.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Why would whether Percy Tau stays or goes, make any difference to the Gonzalez signing?
It wouldn't.

Just an indication.

Quite commonly we tend to move out a player a day or 2 before a new one in a similar position arrives.
It is noticeable and more than coincidence.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Are you thinking of Mark Gall, who came in early in the relegation season after Small left? I think he was probably John Byrne's replacement. Blew hot and cold; could be brilliant one match, then you virtually never saw him in the next one, and he had a Maupay-like propensity for missing sitters, alongside scoring some fairly brilliant goals. He just seemed to leave without trace after that season; I've no idea whether we got a fee for him, but I did hear rumours, no idea whether credible, and I can't remember from whom I heard this, that he was a disruptive influence in the dressing room. We started the next season with Steve Cotterill and Paul Moulden on loan.

Have you got the right person? Mark Gall was an excellent striker - he was our player of the season that year. We didn't get a fee for him because he didn't "leave without a trace" but retired from football after suffering a serious knee injury.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
It wouldn't.

Just an indication.

Quite commonly we tend to move out a player a day or 2 before a new one in a similar position arrives.
It is noticeable and more than coincidence.

Yes true up to a point, but l think there is a world of difference ability wise between the two players in question here.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Have you got the right person? Mark Gall was an excellent striker - he was our player of the season that year. We didn't get a fee for him because he didn't "leave without a trace" but retired from football after suffering a serious knee injury.

I think the player he had in mind, and later remembered, was Stafford Browne.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11

Shows how bad my memory is. As I said, Gall did scored some brilliant goals, but I can remember him missing a few too. I wasn't aware he'd had to retire, as I thought he played that whole season. If he's not who Stat Brother is thinking of, I've no idea who it is. I should also add that I dismissed the rumours about Gall and the dressing room as the usual "the bloke who cuts the grass at the training ground" stuff.

Last edited:

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I remember Mark Gall, he was ok as far as I can remember. Didn’t we sign a keeper from the same club as part of the deal?

The only Mark I remember being a disaster was Mark Farrington I think his name was, signed from Feynoord

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
I remember Mark Gall, he was ok as far as I can remember. Didn’t we sign a keeper from the same club as part of the deal?

The only Mark I remember being a disaster was Mark Farrington I think his name was, signed from Feynoord

Mark Beeney, also signed from Maidstone United. His transfer to Leeds in the 1992-1993 season supposedly stopped the club from going into administration, or even out of business. I think the Inland Revenue had a winding up order outstanding, but I can't remember the precise details.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I personally believe it’s already a done deal. We’ve clearly been chasing this kid for a while. He’s already flown over for talks during lockdown. We’ve gone back in with a bid, which multiple good sources confirm.

For those who say “we never hear about transfers before they’re announced”.

That’s not always been the case, especially recently. The Moises deal was all over Twitter before the club confirmed it. Ditto MacAllister and Lallana. And most recently Velasco (but that one isn’t confirmed yet). One negative, you would assume we may need to wait for Argentina to be knocked out of the Copa America before anything official is announced.

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
So we paid £25m for 6 goals in 15 appearances.
I know absolutely nothing about this guy, where is Tubthumper?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here