Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nick Szczepanik Tweets Poyet hearing Monday now!

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
BUT, you don't know that nobody else wants him! Neither Gus nor his agent, or any interested clubs would show their hand with the situation as it is are they, but you can be sure that contact between certain clubs and Gus' agent have taken place.

So in your view it is okay for gus to wait on a payout from the club whilst his agent has talks with other clubs for him to move to in breech of the contract the club is expected to honour and meet its financial obligations?

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I used to work in a business where poaching of staff was not uncommon, if not rife. When recruiting for staff an agent would always ask how your situation was and would mention (in passing ???) if they had roles that they thought you could fill, so there was always an awareness of what else was available.

However, there was a significant difference between being 'prompted' by an agent and getting a job offer, so anyone with a bit of experience wouldn't burn their bridges at the mention of a good role somewhere else, but would have exploratory chats etc and make sure that the role was right before formally showing interest.

Less experienced people had been known to jump at an 'opportunity' to find out the opportunity wasn't quite as cut and dried as the Agent may have indicated and then found themselves between a rock and a hard place.

Just saying, like :whistle:

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
It depends what the contract says. I understood there was a severance clause which had a payment due either by the club, Gus or a new club.

Gus essentially confirmed this when questioned on his new contract at the time

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Look, its fairly simple ( without knowing the specifics)... but in general terms, if he leaves he is normally obliged to pay the club back a portion or all of his remaining contract, if someone poaches him, they pay it, if he is sacked, then we pay some depending on the reasons.

We can however speak to anyone whilst he is under suspension, a) to have a deputy running things until issue resolved. This person can be brought in on a short term contract from outside, b) to start the long term contingency planning for a replacement. Don't forget, he is the one under disciplinary.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Not a joke Club - yet, if at all. Yes we could have done the obvious thing and just sacked Gus etc without bothering to investigate the allegations and then worry about the consequences later. But potentially now we'd be a couple of £m worse having to pay him compensation or dragging us through an unfair dismissal claim . I don't know exactly what sort of figure he would take us for but that's a hell of a dent in a transfer budget for new manager. Also put it in the context of the 18 redundancies. The number of jobs lost could easily double if we just roll over and give Gus £2m.

Do you really want to gift such a big chunk of everyone's ST money into Gus's bank account when he is no longer anything to do with us? I for one am pleased that The Albion have had the balls to do this properly. Ok it has dragged on which is frustrating for us all not least because both sides have (rightly) managed to keep a lid on the details.

But hopefully at the end of the disciplinary process there will be absolutely no doubt as to the outcome. The timescale suggests it was not a straightforward matter to investigate, gather evidence, interview people and prepare the legal side of things. Unlike workplace disputes that most of us NSCers might encounter and dealt with by HR, this is not your average workplace, the people involved have very high public profiles, their professional reputations and future prospects may be at stake, the financial implications may be very significant, sponsors will be sensitive to the findings and no doubt there are very expensive lawyers at work on both sides. You haven't heard the League Managers Association complaining about the Albion dragging their heels so suggest they recognise that the process has to take its course.

With The Albion having suspended Gus and told him not to have any contact with the Club then presumably the Club would have to give him reasonable notice of a hearing date. His lawyers would ask for reasonable time to consider his defence. I think most people would wish to have an opportunity to give their side of things in person. If Gus is currently on a pre-arranged commitment that is one thing but if he has elected to be awkward then he won't help his case.

If this process saves us a huge chunk of money that all of us would rather spend on footie matters, then so be it.

I do agree that we could look bad if Gus is reinstated because I wouldn't like to predict how he would handle that. Badly, I suspect.

Excellent posting there!

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Look, its fairly simple ( without knowing the specifics)... but in general terms, if he leaves he is normally obliged to pay the club back a portion or all of his remaining contract, if someone poaches him, they pay it, if he is sacked, then we pay some depending on the reasons.

We can however speak to anyone whilst he is under suspension, a) to have a deputy running things until issue resolved. This person can be brought in on a short term contract from outside, b) to start the long term contingency planning for a replacement. Don't forget, he is the one under disciplinary.

Re your second para, are you sure? The examples of gardening leave I recall always seems to involve a current employee taking over. I would have thought any approach to a third party could be construed as 'disciplinary action concluded and decision made'.

Aug 23, 2011
Re your second para, are you sure? The examples of gardening leave I recall always seems to involve a current employee taking over. I would have thought any approach to a third party could be construed as 'disciplinary action concluded and decision made'.

Wasn't Adkins put on gardening leave and that new guy at Southampton employed last season?

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Yep - but Gus has just come back from there today I think (only on holiday though). Was at Gatwick this afternoon and heard some chap say that he was on the same flight as Gus.

Work colleague's mate had her pic taken with a beaming Gus at Gatwick on Wednesday (I did see the evidence)

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
Can see to a degree what you are saying, but not how it was handled with tanno. Why do it differently?

Negotiation ploy with Poyet or, if they are to make a "pay off" to Poyet why bother to pay Taricco as they know he will leave (at no cost) if Poyet should leave. I guess they view P&T as a team. Pre season start next week?

EricYoung59

Jul 8, 2012
Negotiation ploy with Poyet or, if they are to make a "pay off" to Poyet why bother to pay Taricco as they know he will leave (at no cost) if Poyet should leave. I guess they view P&T as a team. Pre season start next week?

Thinking about this more (which is making my brain hurt) if pre season does start and Taricco doesn't turn up it puts more pressure on Poyet. I would hate to play cards against Bloom. It would seem the Taricco decision could be about bringing the whole matter to a conclusion if it is a bit of a face off between Bloom and Poyet and their respective lawyers.

Lets hope for the good of the club, it's history, it's reputation and all it's staff and fans that the matter can be brought to a dignified end soon. UTA

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Gus and Charlie were told by text on Weds that the club weren't yet in a position to make them an offer, hence the delay until Monday. Gus and Charlie are still both away. I'll probably be accused of being an attention seeker again but heyho do I care!

Employment law/negotiations by text........

Course they did.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Gus and Charlie were told by text on Weds that the club weren't yet in a position to make them an offer, hence the delay until Monday. Gus and Charlie are still both away. I'll probably be accused of being an attention seeker again but heyho do I care!

Gus flew back this afternoon and was seen at Gatwick.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here