Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nick Szczepanik Tweets Poyet hearing Monday now!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
In a situation like this I ask myself "What would the Krays have done?" Seems the most straightforward thing for Bloom to do is ring Baseball Bat Barry and get him to pay Gus a visit, put the frighteners on him.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
To be clear, if he resigned, he would normally have to pay us!

Wouldn't he have the option of working a period of notice? I seem to remember that that was the issue with Simon Jordan putting Steve Bruce on gardening leave when the broken-nosed one assumed he could just waltz off to Birmingham ...

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
If both GP and the club are playing 'hardball' - i.e. GP won't quit and the club won't pay off his contract - then this could drag on for months, not weeks, irrespective of how justified the club may or may not be in imposing the suspension.

It is contract law that is relevant in this case, not employment law per se, and if the suspension could be shown to have been unjustified could cost the club far more than just the outstanding value of the contract.

I agree with this - I posted yesterday that i think we are at a stalement situation - the club think GP has breached contract GP lawyers dont. GP can wait and wait - he is still getting paid and he knows the club have a finite time to act - they will have to revoke the suspension or sack him in the next two weeks. If they sack him i can only see a long protracted period of litigation and potentially a costly court case - which will cost shed loads... i hope i am wrong but i think this is going to run and run.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Wouldn't he have the option of working a period of notice? I seem to remember that that was the issue with Simon Jordan putting Steve Bruce on gardening leave when the broken-nosed one assumed he could just waltz off to Birmingham ...

It depends what the contract says. I understood there was a severance clause which had a payment due either by the club, Gus or a new club.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
Well, we don't know the ins and outs of his contract so that may not necessarily be the case. If he resigned to go to another club that wanted him, then he could reasonably expect that club to buy him out of his contract with us, which would in effect be the compensation we were due. As it stands though, nobody else wants him. If Gus had to buy himself out by resigning, I can't honestly see why TB would turn that down in favour of this current situation, so I'm not sure thats ever been on the table.
BUT, you don't know that nobody else wants him! Neither Gus nor his agent, or any interested clubs would show their hand with the situation as it is are they, but you can be sure that contact between certain clubs and Gus' agent have taken place.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I agree with this - I posted yesterday that i think we are at a stalement situation - the club think GP has breached contract GP lawyers dont. GP can wait and wait - he is still getting paid and he knows the club have a finite time to act - they will have to revoke the suspension or sack him in the next two weeks. If they sack him i can only see a long protracted period of litigation and potentially a costly court case - which will cost shed loads... i hope i am wrong but i think this is going to run and run.

If this and I state If then I will lose all respect for Gus even though he is looking out for himself he is not giving a flying feck about the club we support and fans that sang his name week in week out he is screwing us for every penny and yes us because we pay the wages by coming through the gate in large numbers.

If

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
And you can guarantee there's a spare seat can you ?

I responded to a statement that the Garlic Munchers strike could affect flights.

But I concede, you are correct, I have no access to airline booking systems.
Please accept my humble apologies if I have offended you in any way.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
If this and I state If then I will lose all respect for Gus even though he is looking out for himself he is not giving a flying feck about the club we support and fans that sang his name week in week out he is screwing us for every penny and yes us because we pay the wages by coming through the gate in large numbers.

If

If it happened to you in your job what would you do, just say thank you very much and walk away with nothing, even if you thought you'd done nothing wrong!!!!!!!

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
BUT, you don't know that nobody else wants him! Neither Gus nor his agent, or any interested clubs would show their hand with the situation as it is are they, but you can be sure that contact between certain clubs and Gus' agent have taken place.

Whilst still under contract with the club? Not the best idea from someone you say is totally innocent.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
If it happened to you in your job what would you do, just say thank you very much and walk away with nothing, even if you thought you'd done nothing wrong!!!!!!!
I agree with you, As I said "even though he is looking out for himself"

I understand the reasons why he is doing what he appears to be doing and would do the same.

It just so happens that I care and love my club far more than what happens to Gus.

And as I said "IF"

Its all bollox fella, none of us know jack.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Which would surely be breach of contract, he's not in a position to speak to other clubs whilst under contract with us unless he gets permission.

And if there was another club sniffing around, would they be interested in hanging around for Gus indefinitely, effectively putting their own pre-season on ice whilst this whole mess here plays out ? Can't see it.

el punal

It must be Freaky Friday. So many of you commenting as if you have complete knowledge of everything that's going on behind closed doors at the club.

Truthfully, you don't know do you? So let's all wait for the OFFICIAL statement then you won't get your knickers in a twist in the meantime. :annoyed:

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Whilst still under contract with the club? Not the best idea from someone you say is totally innocent.
I haven't said that Gus has spoken to anyone, but that his agent probably has, and that happens all the time, agents are always on the lookout for better deals for the managers and players they handle. At the moment he is innocent, I don't know if he is guilty or not but hope he isn't, time will tell.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
It must be Freaky Friday. So many of you commenting as if you have complete knowledge of everything that's going on behind closed doors at the club.

Truthfully, you don't know do you? So let's all wait for the OFFICIAL statement then you won't get your knickers in a twist in the meantime. :annoyed:

okay m8

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Which would surely be breach of contract, he's not in a position to speak to other clubs whilst under contract with us unless he gets permission.

And if there was another club sniffing around, would they be interested in hanging around for Gus indefinitely, effectively putting their own pre-season on ice whilst this whole mess here plays out ? Can't see it.

Hello Mr Poyet, Mr Agent here, I've a player you might be interested in and by the way, how's your situation? Not good at the moment Mr Agent, Really, well I know that such an such club might have a vacancy soon, would you be interested? Let's see how I get on Mr Agent, might know soon and pre season starts in a couple of weeks so no rush. OK SAYS MR AGENT, let me know the outcome and I might be able to help you

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
Bernd Schuster officially announced by Malaga as their new coach on the club's website. 5 year contract at La Rosaleda.

[Retweet by Nick Szczepanik]

Yep - but Gus has just come back from there today I think (only on holiday though). Was at Gatwick this afternoon and heard some chap say that he was on the same flight as Gus.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here