Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Nice Taster Of A Car-Free Central Brighton Today

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
THPP is: "arrange all the transport facilities around that edge".

Oh so not an urban planner or planning officer or planning committee?

As for all the other questions you raise they and countless others have been answered by the villages, towns and cities around the planet that are attempting to reduce the impact of one person sat in 2 tonnes of metal belching out fumes.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Chris Boardman has oodles of funding to get Mancunians out of their cars and 2 mile journeys:-

“If you want to make people change their habits you’ve got to give them a viable alternative and in some cases that’s reprioritising streets and that’s what we are doing,” he said in an interview with the Guardian.

“We’ve given way too much priority to the vociferous minority,” said Boardman, referencing motorists. “We’ve wrongly prioritised road space.” Studies in New York found that 80% of people on roads were pedestrians on the pavement, which “gave engineers the courage to change street design” he said.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...a-beeline-for-new-dutch-style-cycling-network

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
i didnt ignore your answer, i highlighted its not directly relevant to the situation in Brighton. shows 12 lanes of traffic and changing to model of using buses, cycles and cars. thats actually where we're starting from isnt it?
Blimey I'm now rather kicking myself for following you in a literal interpretation of Schrodingers Road Space.

The point isn't compressing 12 lanes down to 3.
The point of the illustration is to show just how much space cars take up and how valuable that space is in a urban environment.

This is exactly the same message just without the extra lanes:-

6440857817_a1f5423c45_b.jpg

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Oh so not an urban planner or planning officer or planning committee?

As for all the other questions you raise they and countless others have been answered by the villages, towns and cities around the planet that are attempting to reduce the impact of one person sat in 2 tonnes of metal belching out fumes.

the point highlighted that we already have a difference on what "car free" means. anyway, im glad all the problems are sorted elsewhere and look forward to car free Brighton.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
the point highlighted that we already have a difference on what "car free" means. anyway, im glad all the problems are sorted elsewhere and look forward to car free Brighton.

Some have done it better than others:-

D0RKi9kXcAA8Du9.jpg

:lol:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Yes, that's the salient point. It's not enough banning cars from the city centre is some radical step that no-one has ever done, there are countless examples of cities and towns that have done this.

The residents of all the places in the US, Netherlands, Germany, Spain etc that have gone down this route will have had cars. There'd have been car parks, there'll be shops to supply - all these questions will have been answered.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Blimey I'm now rather kicking myself for following you in a literal interpretation of Schrodingers Road Space.

The point isn't compressing 12 lanes down to 3.
The point of the illustration is to show just how much space cars take up and how valuable that space is in a urban environment.

This is exactly the same message just without the extra lanes:-

View attachment 104970

I love this one, the message of the ad couldn't be more at odds with the actual advert:-

[tweet]1094594698000388096[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
:lol: - He's got a point

[tweet]1101396011782615040[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here