Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Nice Taster Of A Car-Free Central Brighton Today

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My mate was running against a palace fan, beat him by five minutes, met him in the pub after, missed all the chaos

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Good idea.
Park and Ride would need to cost next to nothing and offer a regular service though. Would need more than the current Withdean option at the moment.
I wonder how many supporters would use the amex park and ride if you had to physically hand over a fiver per person each time?

Withdean isn't a P&R site anymore and isn't big enough anyway. So pray, where are these P&R sites going to be ?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Withdean isn't a P&R site anymore and isn't big enough anyway. So pray, where are these P&R sites going to be ?

Just north of the current by-pass which will be expanded to 5 lanes each side to cope with the east/west west/east traffic as it will be only route to get across the city, at least 20 multi-storey car parks will be built with exit routes from the new super highway.
There will be dedicated car parks for those visiting the city, as well as those that live in the city and currently own cars. they will need to lease spaces from the Council as they will not be able to drive to their own homes.

The green belt become the car park belt

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Was smashing walking through a car-free Brighton town this sunny Sunday due to the Brighton Half Marathon. OK there were a few negatives, like public transport was a pig to use due to detours, and it was stupidly difficult for someone on foot to get from beach side of Kings Road to town side, or vice versa. But take away the Half Marathon element of the day and it was a rare glimpse of what the future could be like if the streets of Brighton were to be reclaimed for pedestrians. Bring it on, sooner the better! :thumbsup:

How are the businesses going to be served?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Like Corbyn, most of his suggestions seem decent. It’s just a shame he is utterly useless at what needs to be done to get them implemented.

You're mad i tell thee.

When a cooler in one of your beardy pubs stops working you'll cry about the fact an engineer can't get to it to repair it.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
There was a lovely quote somewhere on the BBC website in the week that said something along the lines of the days when you can jump in your personal two ton lump of metal to go and buy a pint of milk are numbered. And rightly so. Tho probably take the introduction of a hefty congestion charge to make a large number of private motorists actually stop and think if their journey is actually necessary. A bit like the 5p carrier bag charge really. That decimated usage overnight.

methinks supermarkets removing the carrier bag option has had some impact.

seems to me this is great for those able to wander around town, i like the idea of it, maybe others wouldnt. town becomes recluse for those that can walk? and the tourist element be damn. no one drives in a town like Brighton for giggles, so if we ban cars be sure the car based tourist would leave.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
You're mad i tell thee.

When a cooler in one of your beardy pubs stops working you'll cry about the fact an engineer can't get to it to repair it.

You raise a good point. How do, say electricians, get about in current car-less places?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
You raise a good point. How do, say electricians, get about in current car-less places?

Carless places are few and far between most that do have service roads. That’s the issue with Brighton there isn’t many

I will add a beer technician may need to change the whole remote cooler and that is very common. Trust me it’s bad enough as it is.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I'm in Brighton most weekends of the year.

I manage just fine on train / bus. The replacement bus service is a pain, but only because it is poorly managed and they are incapable of running the buses to anything resembling a timetable.

The £5 Citysaver ticket on B&H buses is a boon. Unlimited travel all day for a fiver.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just come back from Brighton, the city was dead , the shops were empty , yeah let’s ban the cars and we will have no city centre left

Maybe it seemed 'dead' because nobody was forced onto the same narrow path or made to congregate at the same designated place waiting to cross a great expanse of tarmac contain about 20 people.

All studies show a reduction in town centre traffic increases the footfall into shops

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
All studies show a reduction in town centre traffic increases the footfall into shops

I think that will be a bit of a clincher when it comes to making the centre of Brighton car-free. With reductions in government contribution, business rates will become more important so the council will want to see a boost in turnover from retail units. Banning cars will be a big help in doing this.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Maybe it seemed 'dead' because nobody was forced onto the same narrow path or made to congregate at the same designated place waiting to cross a great expanse of tarmac contain about 20 people.

Would be easy enough to test just by making the centre of town car-free on, say, the first Saturday of every month for a trial period. Then ask businesses the effect on their footfall. Could measure the difference in air quality while they're at it.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Would be easy enough to test just by making the centre of town car-free on, say, the first Saturday of every month for a trial period. Then ask businesses the effect on their footfall. Could measure the difference in air quality while they're at it.

I think that's the way to go. If it was introduced slowly, people would see the benefits.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I wouldn't advocate Saturdays, to me its what Sundays are made for, for starters.

There's no point in giving the 'but what abouts' even more reason to be worked up by something that could and should prove beneficial for everyone.

What also needs to be taken into account is what to do with the space that's made available.
There's no point doing it if some antiquated by-law states 'no more than one chair outside a premise' or other such nonsense.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I wouldn't advocate Saturdays, to me its what Sundays are made for, for starters.

There's no point in giving the 'but what abouts' even more reason to be worked up by something that could and should prove beneficial for everyone.

What also needs to be taken into account is what to do with the space that's made available.
There's no point doing it if some antiquated by-law states 'no more than one chair outside a premise' or other such nonsense.

You also need to take public transport into account. It's no use having it on Sundays if the rail network is closed and we have a limited bus service. The whole point of making areas car-free is to move people to public transport - we'd need more buses, not fewer.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You also need to take public transport into account. It's no use having it on Sundays if the rail network is closed and we have a limited bus service. The whole point of making areas car-free is to move people to public transport - we'd need more buses, not fewer.

Thank God we've got Southern Rail.

...oh I see what you mean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here