Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice places to live near Brighton

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Any of these suggestions work compared to Redhill. Have you ever been there? I worked there for two years and its a desperate place.

Burgess Hill has got the good points of Hassocks and Haywards Heath without the downside of both. Its big enough to have a choice of more than two pubs but not as stuck up as the Heath.

Sums up my thoughts on Burgess Hill hence I will be hopefully moving there from Crawley in the next few months. Agree with Redhill plus its full of Pal*ce. LOL

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
:angry: You calling me a chav :angry:

Actually, you are correct, but BH is a large-ish town now, so I guess it comes with the territory.

A negative to BH and HH is the downgrading of the Princess Royal hospital, meaning if you wife goes in to labour, you are looking at Worthing, Brighton, or Reigate for options, which is not ideal.

East Surrey at Redhill I assume?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Any of these suggestions work compared to Redhill. Have you ever been there? I worked there for two years and its a desperate place.

God DEADHILL is sooooo depressing. Its horrible, truly, truly horrible.

Chav central at night. About 4 pubs, a small shopping square, a truly ghastly chav nightclub and is too near Croydon and all those places.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Well, there's only one direct train that gets to London before 9.00, you have to change on the others.

But it's the speed that I was talking about: the direct train is the slowest of them all, taking 1 hour and 36 minutes. In reality, given the number of delays, you're probably talking closer to a two hour journey (and that's before any journey at either end of the station). When we were looking to move, we found a lovely house in Seaford but decided that the train journey was a killer.

I went on a course for three days, got the 7.24 and arrived at London Bridge having changed at East Croydon for 8.30. Came home on the 17.15 at night.
I'm not sure what timetables you were looking at or it may have changed in the last two months but there were at least two direct trains and they didn't take that long.

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Seaford doesn't have a REGULAR direct train service to London though. Lewes, on the other hand, has two trains an hour, not per day! Also, train connections to Brighton are very good with the Ashford service running non-stop between Lewes and Brighton.

Personally, I'd recommend Lewes. It has everything, good pubs, interesting shops and a wide range of things to do from downright barmy to absolutely amazing in the case of Bonfire Night. It can be a bit "Islington" at times but underneath this veneer it's a proper town that refuses to be druv.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Seaford doesn't have a REGULAR direct train service to London though. Lewes, on the other hand, has two trains an hour, not per day! Also, train connections to Brighton are very good with the Ashford service running non-stop between Lewes and Brighton.

Personally, I'd recommend Lewes. It has everything, good pubs, interesting shops and a wide range of things to do from downright barmy to absolutely amazing in the case of Bonfire Night. It can be a bit "Islington" at times but underneath this veneer it's a proper town that refuses to be druv.

Where's your beach though? ???

Dandyman

In London village.

:thumbsup:

Voice of Reason

Jan 7, 2006
Hailsham
Anyone out there got any experience of Hailsham. I know its a no go for this on account of the lack of trains but I wondered what it was like to live there?

Nice quiet town. No parking scheme, no bus lanes, but no train station. Good skools (joke), with 2 new one's being built by the the devil himself, Mr Tesco. It's all gonna go tit's up! Did someone say Plumpton? - everyone is your Uncle there!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Lewes was my home town many years ago but when I travel back every now and again to see my family (I've been away for 24 years) it just seems to be full of "wealthies" who have left the City for the country and lentil knitting and have bumped up the house prices beyond the reach of just about anyone normal. The train station is mobbed at 6.15 in the morning as these ladies and gentlemen commute each day back to the Shitty where they belong!! My family and Harveys are Lewes's only redeeming features!

I still have high hopes of moving back there when I retire but I have a lot of sympathies with that post. If you want to escape the lentil knitters but not be too far away from Lewes's attractions you could do worse than somehwere like Ringmer or Barcombe.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

Hang on Roz. Seaford to Lewes every half hour. Then walk to another platform and you are on your way to connect with the two trains an hour to London Coming home from London the same . The Seaford bound train connects with the incoming train from Victoria twice an hour.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
im looking at returning to Sussex, and thinking maybe Eastbourne Old Town is something to consider? (or have i misjudged it?)

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
It's grim up north !!!!!!!

davidcrocker.jpg

Dandyman

In London village.
Lewes was my home town many years ago but when I travel back every now and again to see my family (I've been away for 24 years) it just seems to be full of "wealthies" who have left the City for the country and lentil knitting and have bumped up the house prices beyond the reach of just about anyone normal. The train station is mobbed at 6.15 in the morning as these ladies and gentlemen commute each day back to the Shitty where they belong!! My family and Harveys are Lewes's only redeeming features!

You'll have to wait until Malling declares UDI. ;)

Lady Bracknell

Handbag at Dawn
Jul 5, 2003
The Metropolis
Hang on Roz. Seaford to Lewes every half hour. Then walk to another platform and you are on your way to connect with the two trains an hour to London Coming home from London the same . The Seaford bound train connects with the incoming train from Victoria twice an hour.

A person wearing an anorak writes....but that's not a DIRECT train service! Admittedly it's not a wholly inconvenient or irregular service, especially if the connections provide enough time to get a cup of tea from the Runaway. But it remains indirect. And if things go pearshaped as they have a habit of doing from time to time on the Southern Railway, connections can only be held for so long before they go without the passengers who'd hoped to connect with them.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
:angry: You calling me a chav :angry:

Actually, you are correct, but BH is a large-ish town now, so I guess it comes with the territory.

Live there myself, so no :thumbsup:

The only thing I can think of to recommend Haywards Heath over Burgess Hill is the mighty fine Nizam restaurant.

HH thinks of itself as a fairly big town, yet has the worst shopping centre in the South. Even similarly sized places like Horsham and East Grinstead are miles better. BH might be filled with Wilko, Peacocks, Lidl and Kadar Wear (Purveyors Of Fine School Uniforms for 50 years), but at least it doesn't pretend to be Bluewater.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here