Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice places to live near Brighton

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
If you want to be right next to the sea, I do lurve the Saltdean & Rottingdean area, which is only 5 miles from the city centre.

It has very good local schools, solid family houses at reasonable prices, and Rottingdean has some excellent village pubs.

It's far enough away from the *cosmopolitan* delights of central Brighton for loads of peace and quiet - incidentally it has one of the lowest crime rates in all of B & H - but the city centre with all its facilities is only 10 minutes drive away if you need it.

:thumbsup:

It may only be 5 miles but it would take 40 mins to get to Btn station to commute to London. The coast road is terrible when the schools are back.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
To add to my previous post, I wrote these words of wisdom on another thread last week

Seaford does not have the cosmopolitan lifestyle of Brighton & Hove or the more refined style of entertaining Eastbourne. Seaford is not a resort it's an unpretentious town by the sea. It has the lovely South Downs all around culminating in the maginificent Cuckmere Valley and Seaford Head. The shops are still small town with independent shop owners running butcher/fish/greengrocer/ lighting/ camera/ electronics plus a small Woolies/ Boots and a reasonable in town Morrisons. Pubs are nothing special but there is a variety to choose from.
Train Service to Brighton/ London is good and the 12 bus service to Brighton or Eastbourne is excellent.
There is a council estate which produces it's usual chavs but the town is predominately private housing. Posh area around Seaford Head golf course and again in East Blatchington .
When we wanted to return to Sussex 10 years ago we looked all the way from Bognor to Hastings and found Seaford to be a very nice place and we could afford the property prices.

Best of Luck

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
It may only be 5 miles but it would take 40 mins to get to Btn station to commute to London. The coast road is terrible when the schools are back.

Not true.

I'm a regular London commuter, and it takes me just over 15 minutes from my front door to the car park at Brighton station.

csider

Dec 11, 2006
Hove
40 mins, do you mean walking??

You can floor it and do it in 10 early morning or 15/20 at busy times.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Not true.

I'm a regular London commuter, and it takes me just over 15 minutes from my front door to the car park at Brighton station.

I leave home at 7.40 and it takes 15 mins just to get from the Badger's Watch to Rottingdean traffic lights.

Last edited:

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
By public transport I think.

I find Saltdean a pretty soulless place. It would suck the life out of you living there.

Haywards Heath is a weird place, very popular with commuters because of the excelent rail links, but ideas above it's station.

Horsham is nice but very expensive, also suffers from a surfeit of weird toffs - politically it's always 1953 for the country's second richest town.

Lewes is beautiful and has the Brewery, plus all the antiques you need for your new place.

Worthing - avoid like the plague, it's a poor man's Eastbourne.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Steyning?

The train link to London is a bit of a problem there.

Haywards Heath is no good to start a commute to London unless you leave very early or like standing all the way, so I wouldn't really recommend the villages around there.

Hassocks or Burgess Hill are probably still the best bets, and a little cheaper to boot.

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I leave home at 7.40 and it takes 15 mins just to get from the Badger's Watch to Rottingdean traffic lights.

The trick in the rush hour is to avoid the traffic lights, by cutting down through Steyning Road and Rottingdean High Street, and rejoining the coast road up by the windmill/golf course.

Like I said, 15 mins, absolute max , to the station every day .

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
I find Saltdean a pretty soulless place. It would suck the life out of you living there.

It hasnt sucked the life out of 2 generations of my family - well not yet anyway - and the 3rd generation just about to graduate also seem fairly well adjusted.

Lewes is superficially a nice town - but all those beards and sandals would start to grate after a while - and I'm not too keen on what the men there wear either .

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The trick in the rush hour is to avoid the traffic lights, by cutting down through Steyning Road and Rottingdean High Street, and rejoining the coast road up by the windmill/golf course.

Like I said, 15 mins, absolute max , to the station every day .

I can't persuade the bus driver to do that (I don't have a car park pass and can't afford £9 a day parking)
Newhaven has direct trains to London (the same as Oldman said from Seaford)
I love the glorious views from our house, it is quiet and although the shops need regeneration (which is happening - two new ones opened in a month) I can reach Eastbourne or Brighton for shopping very easily.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here