Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice places to live near Brighton

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
It hasnt sucked the life out of 2 generations of my family - well not yet anyway - and the 3rd generation just about to graduate also seem fairly well adjusted.

I've read your posts mate and I'd beg to differ. There's more life in a Morrisons cheese and onion sandwich.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Doesn't it depend on too many criteria? For example, how much do you have to spend? If you haven't got unlimited budget then a lot of places mentioned can be ruled out? How long a journey to London do you want? If you don't want to be stuck on trains all day, you should rule out Seaford. When you say "nice, not shit" what do you mean? Quiet or lively? Beautiful or functional?

Lewes is, as other people have mentioned, a bit pricey. But it is rather quaint, does have good schools and there's plenty to do there - particularly if you're into pyromania, witchcraft or wife-swapping.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
For example, how long a journey to London do you want? If you don't want to be stuck on trains all day, you should rule out Seaford.

Why? It's a direct route to Victoria with no changes?

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Why? It's a direct route to Victoria with no changes?

Well, there's only one direct train that gets to London before 9.00, you have to change on the others.

But it's the speed that I was talking about: the direct train is the slowest of them all, taking 1 hour and 36 minutes. In reality, given the number of delays, you're probably talking closer to a two hour journey (and that's before any journey at either end of the station). When we were looking to move, we found a lovely house in Seaford but decided that the train journey was a killer.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
Someone suggested Steyning which is a very nice town in a stunning part of the county, easy links to Brighton...you might also consider some of the other villages around those parts, such as; Henfield, Partridge Green, Storrington and West Chiltington...dependant on your budget. As for the schools, if you lived in any of the villages that I mentioned the senior school would be Steyning Grammar...I went there for 6 years and only realised afterwards how good it really was, at the time many of the boarders came from the Worthing area which possibly spoke volumes for how good the schools where in that town that parents were prepared to pay for an education at a school only a few miles distant.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I find Saltdean a pretty soulless place. It would suck the life out of you living there.

Haywards Heath is a weird place, very popular with commuters because of the excelent rail links, but ideas above it's station.

Horsham is nice but very expensive, also suffers from a surfeit of weird toffs - politically it's always 1953 for the country's second richest town.

Lewes is beautiful and has the Brewery, plus all the antiques you need for your new place.

Worthing - avoid like the plague, it's a poor man's Eastbourne.

Spot on, could not agree more, especially about Haywards Heath.

Prof P

Sep 22, 2004
Doesn't it depend on too many criteria? For example, how much do you have to spend? If you haven't got unlimited budget then a lot of places mentioned can be ruled out? How long a journey to London do you want? If you don't want to be stuck on trains all day, you should rule out Seaford. When you say "nice, not shit" what do you mean? Quiet or lively? Beautiful or functional?

Lewes is, as other people have mentioned, a bit pricey. But it is rather quaint, does have good schools and there's plenty to do there - particularly if you're into pyromania, witchcraft or wife-swapping.

Yes, fair play. I was pretty vague

The budget is ok, so I’m not ruling anywhere out straight away. Actually, sent this thread to the wife yesterday (forgetting I’d slagged off her mum in the original post. Nice one) and she’s found somewhere she loves in Lewes. Train journey to Ch X looks pretty punishing though, nearly 2 hours in all– I guess that’s the price of moving to somewhere nice from somewhere shit. I live in Deptford. If you’ve ever been to the Den, it’s the rough part.
Going to get myself down to Hassocks, Steyning and a few others mentioned on Saturday.

Thanks for the advise

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent

The budget is ok, so I’m not ruling anywhere out straight away. Actually, sent this thread to the wife yesterday (forgetting I’d slagged off her mum in the original post. Nice one) and she’s found somewhere she loves in Lewes. Train journey to Ch X looks pretty punishing though, nearly 2 hours in all– I guess that’s the price of moving to somewhere nice from somewhere shit. I live in Deptford. If you’ve ever been to the Den, it’s the rough part.
Going to get myself down to Hassocks, Steyning and a few others mentioned on Saturday.

Thanks for the advise

Unless you come up from Hastings you'll need to change at London Bridge (or Victoria and get the tube to Embankment) for Charing Cross. Yes I know Deptford, believe me you'll have a drag of a journey by comparison, what about moving to Kent ? Easy commute.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

Train journey to Ch X looks pretty punishing though, nearly 2 hours in all

It shouldn't take that long: you can get from Lewes to London Bridge in about an hour and 10 minutes (and it's not 45 mins from LB to Ch X). It's quite a nice service too - less crowded than the Brighton trains and you're not using First Crapital.

We were in exactly the same position as you about three years ago and were spending every weekend (and some evenings) dashing down to Sussex to look at places: very tiring it was too.

We did consider Lewes but Mrs G is Catholic (or rather ex-Catholic) and refused to live there after hearing about the Pope-burning. I must say that Lewes is a bit of a weird place but I can see the advantages too.

In the end, we settled on the outskirts of Brighton, but there's plenty of choice out there.

Oh yes, after Deptford, anywhere's an improvement. :)

Last edited:

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Lewes was my home town many years ago but when I travel back every now and again to see my family (I've been away for 24 years) it just seems to be full of "wealthies" who have left the City for the country and lentil knitting and have bumped up the house prices beyond the reach of just about anyone normal. The train station is mobbed at 6.15 in the morning as these ladies and gentlemen commute each day back to the Shitty where they belong!! My family and Harveys are Lewes's only redeeming features!

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Re the Mid Sussex places mentioned...

Hassocks- has the advantage of the station, has Downlands school, which is excellent, ten minutes from Brighton or forty from London, straight up and down the line. Not exactly a picture postcard village, and the shops aren't much, but you can only expect so much from a small place I guess.

Burgess Hill- two stations, has Oakmeeds school which is infinitely inferior to Downlands :p, so you need to choose where in town you live if you want your kids to go to Downlands (Wivelsfield side of the town I believe). Has plenty of variety of housing, and more being built all the time, Jupp's chippy, serving the finest fish & chips in all Sussex, the Triangle leisure centre and a Tesco (or a Waitrose if you're feeling flush). It also has some chavs.

Hurstpierpoint: nicer looking village than Hassocks, bit more olde worlde, but has no rail link. It's only a couple of miles from Hassocks station though. Kids from here go to Downlands so the school angle is covered. Close enough to things like Tesco & the Triangle to make life easy. Didn't want to stay there when I was 20 odd, but I'd say it was a good bet for family life now. Posh school (Hurstpierpoint College) round the corner if you want the Hogwarts experience for them...

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Re the Mid Sussex places mentioned...

Hassocks- has the advantage of the station, has Downlands school, which is excellent, ten minutes from Brighton or forty from London, straight up and down the line. Not exactly a picture postcard village, and the shops aren't much, but you can only expect so much from a small place I guess.

Burgess Hill- two stations, has Oakmeeds school which is infinitely inferior to Downlands :p, so you need to choose where in town you live if you want your kids to go to Downlands (Wivelsfield side of the town I believe). Has plenty of variety of housing, and more being built all the time, Jupp's chippy, serving the finest fish & chips in all Sussex, the Triangle leisure centre and a Tesco (or a Waitrose if you're feeling flush). It also has some chavs.

Hurstpierpoint: nicer looking village than Hassocks, bit more olde worlde, but has no rail link. It's only a couple of miles from Hassocks station though. Kids from here go to Downlands so the school angle is covered. Close enough to things like Tesco & the Triangle to make life easy. Didn't want to stay there when I was 20 odd, but I'd say it was a good bet for family life now. Posh school (Hurstpierpoint College) round the corner if you want the Hogwarts experience for them...

pretty good summation there, I'd say.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
Burgess Hill has more than 'some' chavs though :thumbsup:

:angry: You calling me a chav :angry:

Actually, you are correct, but BH is a large-ish town now, so I guess it comes with the territory.

A negative to BH and HH is the downgrading of the Princess Royal hospital, meaning if you wife goes in to labour, you are looking at Worthing, Brighton, or Reigate for options, which is not ideal.

terrymendez

Nov 22, 2006
Dials
"I find Saltdean a pretty soulless place" i tend to agree , but with with 279 new flats priced high enough to keep out the chavs being built I think the place will improve.

If the rumours are correct - Pizza express and two new bars are opening up on Longridge & Lustrells vale...

I can the see the place taking off in the next few years, it will have more going for it than a half decent beach, decent sized houses with free parking, yes parking for free.....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here