Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] NHS CV19 tracing app.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
As a business you have to join via the NHS website. You give all the business details, and within 30 minutes they email a bespoke QR poster which you print off and display at the entrance.

Maybe the venue you visited hasn't registered yet.

So I assume when and if football restarts with a few spectators you are going to have to scan the venue QR along with your ticket? That might be interesting when it comes to some of the "not going to get it but definitely going to defy lockdown" crowd. Like I said on the main thread it would appear your main option when it comes to defying the rules is to wander round aimlessly and maskless with a placard.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
As a business you have to join via the NHS website. You give all the business details, and within 30 minutes they email a bespoke QR poster which you print off and display at the entrance.

Maybe the venue you visited hasn't registered yet.
I'm in a greene King pub and they have their own qr code. Maybe they will have to have 2...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
I've just downloaded the app, tried to check in to the venue that I'm at but their qr code is not an NHS one, so doesn't work. How many pubs or restaurants are going to have the specific NHS qr code? This has failed in the first minute of me using the app!

Our local is in a low spot and unless you are O2 you simply cannot get a signal so then what ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sorry if this has been mentioned but a woman on the radio this morning was talking about driving her car in a congested city street and finding herself stopping alongside a bus. If a passenger on her side of the bus was shown to have CV then her presence would be flagged up and she would have to go into isolation for however many days it took to get a test. Is that right?

its a credible but unlikely scenario.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Tried to download this morning. The app store says my phone is compatible [Iphone 6] yet when try to download it says I require IoS 13.5 or later. I checked in the Iphone update area and it shows my phone as 12.4.8 which is the latest IoS I can get

I've never thought of my phone as being old, I use as payment card, bus ticket, dual verify to log into my work laptops, have used for boarding passes for flights. Surely the track and trace shouldn't need more processing power than those other apps

My phone's a couple of years old (time for a new one), and I too was surprised and a little disappointed that it required an iOS update. It's the first time in ages a new app has prompted me to update.

However, having read up on some of the challenges faced by track and trace apps previously, I think the major issue which has to be circumvented is the impact on battery usage. Whilst in principle what the app is doing seems quite rudimentary, it is in fact having to constantly 'talk' to other devices (potentially a reasonable number at a time), and then cleverly use bluetooth to estimate the distance between two or more individuals.

It's a real shame that people might be unable to use the app because of outdated software / hardware, however I think it would have been a bigger issue in terms of take-up if it depleted people's battery life in 15 minutes. Phones weren't built to do this, so developers are having to work quickly to create something which is as close to perfect as possible but not infallible. It's better than nothing, I guess.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The other issue is from a development point of view, it is extremely difficult and labour intensive to manage lots of different software versions in parallel. The amount of QA, regression testing etc involved to maintain even a few releases is difficult enough.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Struggling to find the app on our phone!

phone.jpg

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I'm in a greene King pub and they have their own qr code. Maybe they will have to have 2...

We have two. Our own one is used constantly, and anyone who has the app is requested to do the NHS one.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
So I assume when and if football restarts with a few spectators you are going to have to scan the venue QR along with your ticket? That might be interesting when it comes to some of the "not going to get it but definitely going to defy lockdown" crowd. Like I said on the main thread it would appear your main option when it comes to defying the rules is to wander round aimlessly and maskless with a placard.

I wouldn't of thought so as the club will have your details already when you buy your ticket. People will probably be encouraged to do the NHS one though. I can't imagine the club not registering for the scheme tbh.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Our local is in a low spot and unless you are O2 you simply cannot get a signal so then what ?

I think it's fine as long as you don't want to book a test or check the current status in your area from the pub. The checking who you are close too bit (which is the important continual bit) uses bluetooth AFAIK,

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
its a credible but unlikely scenario.

Not sure it is credible unless you are sat next to one another in a traffic jam for 30 mins at less than 4m distance.

*edit*

Credible as oppose to incredible :thumbsup:

Last edited:

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Not a chance in hell I'll be downloading it. The government has quite enough control over our lives already thank you.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

This, and won’t they look silly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

D

Deleted member 2719

Already done.

I will do all I can to stop the spread of this vile disease.

Who would not download it?

It needs a poll attached.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Already done.

I will do all I can to stop the spread of this vile disease.

Who would not download it?

It needs a poll attached.

Are you a Marshal? Will you be popping round to tick us off if we haven't?

Maybe fix us with a tracking device.

D

Deleted member 2719

Are you a Marshal? Will you be popping round to tick us off if we haven't?

Maybe fix us with a tracking device.

I can't do that Hamilton, keep up NSC said it was not correct policy. So I will obey the rules.:angel:

If your marriage ever falls through, perhaps you should just think it was because you are a #Portsmouth fan, yes you would be beyond help.

Have you downloaded yours yet???

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
I can't do that Hamilton, keep up NSC said it was not correct policy. So I will obey the rules.:angel:

If your marriage ever falls through, perhaps you should just think it was because you are a #Portsmouth fan, yes you would be beyond help.

Have you downloaded yours yet???

I downloaded the Scottish one by mistake and keep getting angry messages from one of the Krankies telling me to f*ck off back to England.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'm a person who believes there should be fewer restrictions as I believe the pandemic is now less dangerous than initially feared and we must live with it.

The above is a pretty unpopular opinion and I'm aware of that.

However there is absolutely no argument for not downloading this app if able. It is simply a novel attempt to control the virus that is absolutely no inconvenience to anyone using it. Why would anyone choose NOT to download it if it could help reduce infections? Very selfish in my view, regardless of beliefs and opinions about the virus.

I've downloaded it and it is very user friendly. Will be interesting to see if I get any alerts. Hope it helps.

I can't believe you haven't come across [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION] before :wink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here