Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] NHS CV19 tracing app.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Let me get this right:

You appear to be materialistic? Your wife obviously isn't.:D

You seem to want to jet off on regular holidays abroad.

The next thing you will tell me you are not living in a council house.

Are lefties just kidding themselves nowadays, they seem to want the life of an active capitalist?

Perhaps their red has turned to purple???

Materialistic? You must be confusing me with someone else.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
Sorry, I'm not making myself clear.

As I understand, prior to the app, when you 'checked in' manually you said how long you expected to be there, and this was then used to decide whether you were in the venue at the same time as someone who later tested positive, (the two of you showing overlapping times at the same venue).

When you use the app, the assumption is that from the time you scan in, until midnight the same day, you are in that venue (unless you scan another venue). Therefor, if someone comes in later, checks in manually, and then later reports positive (manually) you will be contacted (manually, not through the app) and told you were in the same venue as someone who tested positive. (Even though you may have left some hours before).

The point being that the app doesn't record the same information that was being recorded manually (unless my daughter is winding me up and you never manually said how long you were there :wink:)

I think you’re correct. If you went to one pub at lunchtime and went home two hours later, the app assumes you were in that pub till midnight (or 10pm if it’s built in the curfew).

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
My understanding is you obviously use the app to 'check in' but there is also the bluetooth / BLE element that looks to who you were in close proximity to. So almost 2 levels of checking of exposure to anyone that may have caught it.

zeemeeuw

Apr 8, 2006
Somerset
Looks like the BBC have tried to answer my question:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-54326267

"If the location is later identified as a virus hotspot then an alert may be sent out to anyone who scanned a QR code there - not to self-isolate, but to be on the lookout for any symptoms of the virus."

I have the app and get the 2m for 15mins thing but I must admit I'm struggling to see the point of scanning in. Someone decides if location it counts as a hotspot!?, you may (or may not) get an alert which will only tell you to get a test if you develop symptoms (which you have to do anyway), no isolation required otherwise. The cynic in me thinks the only reason for scanning in can be for data gathering purposes, if so, why not just be up front about that?

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
I think your tin foil hat may have slipped off....

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
As an aside I went to a jazz and wine bar last night and woke up with “4 encounters with low risk” this morning? Only had the occasional single low-risk encounter before. Are jazzers dirtier than other people?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
We came home late yesterday afternoon after a few days away with the kids in London. Really nice to have a change of scene after so long at home.

Then, around 11:30pm, Mrs B's phone alerted her she needed to self-isolate for 10 days as, on Tuesday, she was close enough to someone who has since tested positive.

We thought it was strange how she had that, and I didn't.

Half an hour later that all changed as I got the same notification.

It's intriguing to try and figure out when and where this close contact happened. We can only deduce it must be one of...

- Breakfast in the hotel restaurant
- 5 Guys, where we stopped for a milkshake on our way to the British Museum
- A pub on South Bank in the evening, where we sat outside throughout

Mrs B works in a school so tests regularly anyway and, as it happened, had tested yesterday before we received the alerts and got a negative result. She's been one-dosed AZ so far, whilst I had my second jab of Pfizer some weeks back.

All slightly annoying as we now need to hurriedly find someone to walk our lab 3/4 times a day for us, my 489 day running streak will have to continue with laps of the back garden and young master B will miss a cub "camp in a day" this weekend as well as having a week out of school too.

I guess it proves the app is still working, doing its thing to protect us all though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here