Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] NHS CV19 tracing app.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Have got the same problem with my iphone6. Heard on BBC that some 30% of Iphones are too old to update to the required operating system which seems a lot. Don't know about Android phones but clearly some have that problem too.

Wonder why the problem? Don't recall ever downloading an app which required the latest iOS system!

happens often, depends on apps. Apple/Google only support the lastest few versions, and so many developers only support the same. they cant get help if its before that. often there is no need, no features being used, its just good etiquette of development world. others, esp games, dont follow because theyd rather have the larger number of users.

in case of covid trackers, Apple/Google created a new API to allow direct access to the Bluetooth hardware while running in background (normally prohibited), which is only pushed to supported OS.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The wife and I went out for a meal in Shoreham last night for only the 2nd time since lockdown (her birthday treat), and we don't have a modern smart phone so we happily signed the book/register with name and home phone contact details. Looking briefly at the list apparently in the last couple of days a B Bunny, E Presley, and one Lionel Messi had apparently signed in with their details!

Who ultimately checks that any of the details provided are accurate as where we were last night it seemed there were pages upon pages of hand written numbers and names from the last couple of weeks - many at a cursory glance looking very suspicious (even a John Doe was apparently in last night)? I'm sure many people will use their modern phones to log in or register but it seems pretty daft if you can put a fictitious name and number down if you so wish.

Covidiots. Hopefully they’re the ones that get it. Gene pool definitely needs tidying up.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
So I recently got an iphone 6 which I've been delighted with. Downloaded ALL the apps I want without issue. Government brings out an "essential" app .... and, of course, it's not compatible. As I'm not in work and I'm giff gaff sim only sorry but i won't be buying a new phone. Even my sister's work phone (big American insurance company) is only an iphone 6.

Last edited:

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Covidiots. Hopefully they’re the ones that get it. Gene pool definitely needs tidying up.

Agreed - but if that's representative of just 1 establishment, how many other places is this happening at all over the country? Listening to the Jeremy Vine show last week when they discussed issues such as this (and general safety of peoples personal details) a number of people openly phoned in saying they would't leave their correct number as they felt it was an invasion of their personal liberty!

Sadly it seems the information gathered is only going to be as good as that is provided and one wonders how effective this will be if people leave incorrect details. The current test and trace system which was only running at about 69% success rate is going to struggle to get better if idiots continue to leave false names and numbers. We haven't been out much since the lockdown but I was surprised to see this so blatently going on in the times we are going through.

Last edited:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
So I recently got an iphone 6 which I've been delighted with. Downloaded ALL the apps I want without issue. Government brings out an "essential" app .... and, of course, it's not compatible.

Unfortunately, that's the result of using the privacy-first Apple-developed component that was being called for, and the one used by most/all other countries.

Everything from the iPhone 6s, released exactly 5 years ago today as it happens, can use the app.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Unfortunately, that's the result of using the privacy-first Apple-developed component that was being called for, and the one used by most/all other countries.

Everything from the iPhone 6s, released exactly 5 years ago today as it happens, can use the app.

I think that trying to code 'under' the Apple and Google components was never a starter (despite Cumming's mate's ideas to the contrary), so these are the limitations of any Track and Trace app. I can't see Apple and Google retro fitting these to previous OS's although, if technically possible and enough Governments paid for it ?

I think we just have to be happy that we have finally got one that works :thumbsup:

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Worked well at my gym today who had the NHS QR code up already. Nice and easy to just scan it and off you go, no more form filling

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

On the Android side, anything with at least Android 6 Marshmallow, released in October 2015, and a Bluetooth LE 4 chip will be compatible.

This includes this brand new* phone for £49.95 - https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7239135

*but, of course, a bit rubbish.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The wife and I went out for a meal in Shoreham last night for only the 2nd time since lockdown (her birthday treat), and we don't have a modern smart phone so we happily signed the book/register with name and home phone contact details. Looking briefly at the list apparently in the last couple of days a B Bunny, E Presley, and one Lionel Messi had apparently signed in with their details!

Who ultimately checks that any of the details provided are accurate as where we were last night it seemed there were pages upon pages of hand written numbers and names from the last couple of weeks - many at a cursory glance looking very suspicious (even a John Doe was apparently in last night)? I'm sure many people will use their modern phones to log in or register but it seems pretty daft if you can put a fictitious name and number down if you so wish.
Perhaps the restaurant should ask for identification? There's a thousand and one things you can't do without a passport or photo driving licence these days, so shouldn't be a hardship to provide it to get a meal out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Fair enough, your choice.
Personally, with several underlying health problems myself, that led to me having an authentic shielding letter during the lockdown, and having quite a few customers who are elderly, several over the age of 80, my choice is to ask customers who refuse to wear a mask or face shield for the short amount of time they would not be seated in my cafe, to take their custom somewhere that cares less for their fellow customers welfare.

Ever heard of the Equality Act ?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Ever heard of the Equality Act ?

Yep, I still do not have to serve people I don’t want to, and I don’t have to give a reason.

As it happens, I have served a gentleman this morning who has health problems and is carrying an authentic exemption lanyard. I know this fella, I know his exemption is valid.
I will not serve people who I believe either have false exemption credentials, or have ‘left them at home’

Sue me.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
dont believe mask-aversion is a recognised impairment under the act.

I would agree but there are disabilities ( many hidden ) that prevent someone from wearing a mask. Those disabilities are protected under the Equality Act and a business turning away someone protected under the Equality Act is illegal. EDIT - if they turn them away because of their disability - which doing so because they weren't wearing a mask is.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here