Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NFL season 2012

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Got back on Tuesday from our Midwest trip to the States which included The Lions game at Green Bay.

What a game, and what a fantastic experience!!

The fact that the game ended 45 - 41 to the Packers no doubt helped (with stand-in QB Matty Flynn throwing 6 TDs and 480 yards!) but even if the game had been won by Detroit (which it very nearly was) we would still have had an amazing time.

Lambeau Field is a superb stadium, (we did the the stadium tour the day before the game, I'll get my son to put up some pictures in due course) Stadium has no roof, but filled to the brim with 70,000 fans and a really excellent atmosphere. The snow added to the experience, and the two hours of tailgating pre-match simply brilliant!

Only downside was that Rodgers and Matthews didn't play - saving them for bigger fish - but frankly it really didn'y matter one bit.

I really can't see The Packers winning the Superbowl - if Detroit can score 41 points (and they could/should have scored more!) how many points will a team with a better offence score?

One other fun bit of our trip was watching the Bears @ The Packers in a Bar in Chicago on Christmas Day - great banter with The Bears fans!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Got back on Tuesday from our Midwest trip to the States which included The Lions game at Green Bay.

The fact that the game ended 45 - 41 to the Packers no doubt helped (with stand-in QB Matty Flynn throwing 6 TDs and 480 yards!) but even if the game had been won by Detroit (which it very nearly was) we would still have had an amazing time.

Lambeau Field is a superb stadium, (we did the the stadium tour the day before the game, I'll get my son to put up some pictures in due course) Stadium has no roof, but filled to the brim with 70,000 fans and a really excellent atmosphere. The snow added to the experience, and the two hours of tailgating pre-match simply brilliant!

Only downside was that Rodgers and Matthews didn't play - saving them for bigger fish - but frankly it really didn'y matter one bit.

I really can't see The Packers winning the Superbowl - if Detroit can score 41 points (and they could/should have scored more!) how many points will a team with a better offence score?

One other fun bit of our trip was watching the Bears @ The Packers in a Bar in Chicago on Christmas Day - great banter with The Bears fans!

Good job you aren't a fan of defence! What a game to be at.

As for the Packers chances, I agree with what you say about them giving up too many points, but I think home advantage is big for them, especially with the Saints and the Falcons being dome teams. While the 49ers D will slow the Pack down a bit, I just can't see them scoring heavily enough. The Giants could find form at the right time, they've done it before, and won't be as affected by the cold weather in Green Bay as some, but I can't see it somehow. For me, the Lions - perhaps 3rd time lucky this season - are the biggest threat before the Superbowl, when I reckon they'll come up against the Ravens, who may just be a little too good for them. A defence to slow the Pack up a bit, and an offence who can rack up plenty against that Pack D.

Pleased you enjoyed the trip.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Good job you aren't a fan of defence! What a game to be at.

As for the Packers chances, I agree with what you say about them giving up too many points, but I think home advantage is big for them, especially with the Saints and the Falcons being dome teams. While the 49ers D will slow the Pack down a bit, I just can't see them scoring heavily enough. The Giants could find form at the right time, they've done it before, and won't be as affected by the cold weather in Green Bay as some, but I can't see it somehow. For me, the Lions - perhaps 3rd time lucky this season - are the biggest threat before the Superbowl, when I reckon they'll come up against the Ravens, who may just be a little too good for them. A defence to slow the Pack up a bit, and an offence who can rack up plenty against that Pack D.

Pleased you enjoyed the trip.

Thanks, it was BLOODY brilliant - and I WILL be going back at some time!

One extra plus of being over there was the two College games on TV each day at the moment - spme amazing attendances, and some really good games.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

I was in Arizona Cave Creek and we all watched the game on the computer screen linked to the tv and jebus that was a great game, Shame the Lions fumbled/ turned over three times otherwise they should have won that game. What I do not understand is that the Lions won the previous game and my wifes family were telling me they are in the play offs and how great it was and then after losing to the packers they are a wild card. I guess it meant they were in a play off postion and I should not have taken it to mean that it was defo. am i right ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Eagles win their last 4, end up 8 and 8 and didnt make the playoffs.

:-(

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I was in Arizona Cave Creek and we all watched the game on the computer screen linked to the tv and jebus that was a great game, Shame the Lions fumbled/ turned over three times otherwise they should have won that game. What I do not understand is that the Lions won the previous game and my wifes family were telling me they are in the play offs and how great it was and then after losing to the packers they are a wild card. I guess it meant they were in a play off postion and I should not have taken it to mean that it was defo. am i right ?

6 teams qualify for the play-offs in each conference, the 4 divisional winners, and the 2 teams with next best records, qualify as "wild cards". The Lions had already secured their position as one of the 2 best records from non-divisional winners, while the Packers were too far ahead to be caught in the division. So, yes, they are in the play-offs, as a "wild card", and that was already secured prior to the game.

First round of the play-offs is the "wild card round" which the 2 divisional winners with the best records get a bye through, leaving the other two divisional winners being paired against the two wild card teams.

Is that at all clear?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
6 teams qualify for the play-offs in each conference, the 4 divisional winners, and the 2 teams with next best records, qualify as "wild cards". The Lions had already secured their position as one of the 2 best records from non-divisional winners, while the Packers were too far ahead to be caught in the division. So, yes, they are in the play-offs, as a "wild card", and that was already secured prior to the game.

First round of the play-offs is the "wild card round" which the 2 divisional winners with the best records get a bye through, leaving the other two divisional winners being paired against the two wild card teams.

Is that at all clear?

So ok

The packers are in the semi finals as such and the Lions are in the 1/4 finals ?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Eagles win their last 4, end up 8 and 8 and didnt make the playoffs.

:-(

The problem was losing 2 of the 3 games prior to that when Vick was out injured ... and Vince Young played.
Well, that and teh pressure heaped on teh Eagles before the season even started, by being labelled the Dream team .... by Vince Young.

Blimey, and the Eagles used to think TO was detrimental to have around the place. He'd have done less damage than Vince.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
So ok

The packers are in the semi finals as such and the Lions are in the 1/4 finals ?

As far as the NFC Championship is concerned, but overall, it's one round further back than that.

Wild Card - Divisional - Conference - that takes place in the AFC and the NFC, with the winner of each playing in the Superbowl.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The problem was losing 2 of the 3 games prior to that when Vick was out injured ... and Vince Young played.
Well, that and teh pressure heaped on teh Eagles before the season even started, by being labelled the Dream team .... by Vince Young.

Blimey, and the Eagles used to think TO was detrimental to have around the place. He'd have done less damage than Vince.

as were the phillies!!!

expectation over achievement unfortunately.

Still fantastic effort over the Giants will live long in the memory

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Well the Skins sucked for all but about a third of the year so glad to see the end of the regular season really. Some good rookie bright spots with Kerrigan, Helu and Royster all doing well. As long as Cleveland don't take a QB in the draft RG III will hopefully still be available at 6 and the rebuilding can finally begin.

The defensive frailties of the Packers and Patriots make for an interesting postseason I think, there could well be surprise Superbowl line-up.

On a collegiate note the bowl games have been pretty spectacular and I'm delighted that Oregon got the Rose Bowl monkey off their back. They definitely have a shot at the BCS championship game next year if they can overcome USC in the Pac-12 next year.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I know I'm biased but I'm not buying the Packers defensive 'frailties'.

Yes they give up a sh*t load of yards, but how many of them are in the middle of the park.
Or, 'nothing' yards when we are 40+ points in front.

This is a defence with Mathews, Woodson, Bush, to name but 3.

The NFL has changed, isn't not about defence, it's all about scoring points, and GB will score 7 to your 3.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Oh and I'm still not talking to you, Mellor.
My jealousy is still burning deep! :lol:, not helped by the game itself rockin along.

(I'm pleased you had a good trip)

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
The defensive frailties of the Packers and Patriots make for an interesting postseason I think, there could well be surprise Superbowl line-up.

The thing with the Patriots is that the 13-3 record MASSIVELY flatters them. In tehir 16 games, they played just 2 teams with winning records (Steelers and Giants) and LOST to them both! Their 3rd, and only other loss was to the Bills in week 3, who were flying at the time. So, basically, they have been rarely tested this season, and whenever they have been, they've come up short.

Tiptop24

Jan 23, 2007
Chicago, USA
I know I'm biased but I'm not buying the Packers defensive 'frailties'.

Yes they give up a sh*t load of yards, but how many of them are in the middle of the park.
Or, 'nothing' yards when we are 40+ points in front.

This is a defence with Mathews, Woodson, Bush, to name but 3.

The NFL has changed, isn't not about defence, it's all about scoring points, and GB will score 7 to your 3.

Being a Milwaukean and GB fan, I love this quote. Honestly, I have yet to see anyone stop Clay Mathews from putting pressure on a QB, and Woodson is on of the best covering players in the league.

And if Rodgers goes down, we now have Matt Flynn (through this season at least!)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
The Giants have a chance in Sunday’s game against the Falcons. The Falcons play their home games in a dome so playing outside at the MetLife stadium should mix things up a bit. Teams that play indoors like the Saints and the Lions have not traditionally done well in outdoor playoff games. But the Falcons lead by Mike Turner are the more effective running team and although the Giants are favoured its 11 years since they’ve won a playoff game at home.

Meanwhile the Jets have gone into meltdown since their exit from the SB with Rex Ryan, Santonio Holmes and Greg McElroy all trading insults.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here