NFL season 2012

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
How about we have a go at picking the winners of this weekend's games?

Saints @ 49ers : 49ers

Denver @ The Patriots : Patriots

Houston @ Baltimore : Ravens

Giants @ Green Bay : Packers

So, I agree with you Mellor, but I'd say the 49ers and the Packers are the 2 games that I'm the least confident about in there. Ravens and Patriots look pretty safe picks for me.

D

Deleted member 18477

this is when the NFL season really takes off! hope the giants can cause an upset! really do not know whos going to the superbowl this year let alone whos going to win it! and thats the way i like it!

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Saints @ 49ers : 49ers

Denver @ The Patriots : Patriots

Houston @ Baltimore : Ravens

Giants @ Green Bay : Packers

So, I agree with you Mellor, but I'd say the 49ers and the Packers are the 2 games that I'm the least confident about in there. Ravens and Patriots look pretty safe picks for me.

Firstly, thanks all for the American Football thread which I often read but can rarely be arsed to participate in especially as I would have to contribute on my missus's iphone with fat fingers

As a betting man, I simply cannot believe the Saints are odds on AWAY from home. I'd probably back them to win at odds against but a 13-3 team at odds against at home is simply a must from a gambling perspective. You will surely make money over time backing such opportunities especially as they conceeded less than 11 points a game on average at home.

San Fran, Houston, New England and Green Bay - I'll also be backing Green bay to destroy the giants over a reasonably high points margin. I have a feeling Revenge is in the air and the Kansas defeat was almost a good thing to get the unbeaten monkey off Green bay's back. No idea why i fancy Houston - I just do.

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
Saints @ 49ers - Brees 500 yrds thrown

Denver @ The Patriots - I am a believer

Houston @ Baltimore Very difficult to call but I think the Ravens D will win it for them

Giants @ Green Bay I really hope its not the Giants and I love to watch Rodgers play, even though he may be a bit rusty

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Saints.
Denver (I'm a romantic old fool)
Ravens
Packers, I'm not buying the upset. As I said earlier Woodson, Mathews and/or Bush will make THE play to win the game.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
As a betting man, I simply cannot believe the Saints are odds on AWAY from home. I'd probably back them to win at odds against but a 13-3 team at odds against at home is simply a must from a gambling perspective. You will surely make money over time backing such opportunities especially as they conceeded less than 11 points a game on average at home.

As a betting man myself, I love to back the underdog in the play-offs, as the games are generally so tough to call, the value is generally their on the underdog. This game is no exception. The Saints ARE the better team, but they are a Dome team playing on grass, and that does make a difference, especially on the back of a tough game last week, while the 9ers have been resting up and getting everyone as fit as can be.

It'll come down to whether the 9ers can slow up Drew Brees a bit, as there is no way the 9ers offence could win in a shoot-out. The Championship match-up with teh Saints travelling to Lambeau is the game evryone has been expecting for so long, and yet it rarely turns out that way in teh NFL, there is usually an upset along the way, and I think it's this game at Candlestick (showing my age there, but the current name escapes me).

Jul 7, 2003
The thing is we, in the UK, are not getting the full sense of just how BIG Tebow mania has become in the States to the point where regardless of how he plays, or how he has played at times, there is NO WAY Brady Quinn is coming in, as some were reporting a week ago. The viewing stats for the Steelers game are just off the charts, and just shows how big a story he has become.

Steelers @ Broncos last weekend was:
The largest TV audience for a Wild Card game EVER!
The largest TV audience for any programme in the US since the Superbowl last year!

That is just incredible.

You can see why many other teams and fans are upset at the amount of coverage he gets. As a Broncos fan, even I was finding the continual TB stories on NFL.com a bit over the top. The thing is, TB is used to this as he was treated the same way in college football. I remember going to visit Billy Mays in Florida a couple of years ago and the whole NE Florida area was totally obsessed with the kid. Given all of this, it's amazing how he still seems to keep his feet on the ground - maybe there is something in the faith lark after all!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Out of interest who is doing the half-time show at the Superbowl ?

Saints turned over 4 times already

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Madonna.

What's her face from X factor, Kelly name escapes me, is doing the anthem.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Pats hammering the Broncos 42-10 with Brady showing Tebow how a real quarterback operates by throwing a record 5 first half touch down passes. Tebow was overhyped (not his fault) and has now been shown up as the average QB he is.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I've just watched the highlights of the 9'ers game.
Blimey charlie they looked mightily impressive, esp on defence.

Neither GB or The Giants are a lock for the Super Bowl.

A Green Bay v 49ers match up would be massive.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Comfortable 37-20 win by the Giants after most of NSC’s finest predicted a win by the Packers. With 3 touchdowns by the main man Eli Manning and Hakeem Nicks playing a blinder. Great atmosphere in the bars in New York. Talked with some Packers fans who had a good time despite losing. This was a huge upset as the last time the Packers lost at home was October 2010. Green Bay had a lot of missed oppertunities with 3 fumbles. I think Tom Coughlin's future is secure.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Comfortable 37-20 win by the Giants after most of NSC’s finest predicted a win by the Packers. With 3 touchdowns by the main man Eli Manning and Hakeem Nicks playing a blinder. Great atmosphere in the bars in New York. Talked with some Packers fans who had a good time despite losing. This was a huge upset as the last time the Packers lost at home was October 2010. Green Bay had a lot of missed oppertunities with 3 fumbles. I think Tom Coughlin's future is secure.

Gutted!

Far, far too many mistakes by the Packers last night - as well as the 3 fumbles there were numerous dropped catches, the ball was stripped several times and Rodgers didn't have a great game - too many weeks off?

Having said that the Giants played well, they took their chances and Manning had an excellent game. (And the big calls all went against the Giants too.)

The turning point IMO was the Hail Mary just before half time - 7 points out of nothing - as I said a week ago, the Pakers Defence wasn't good enough.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
You can see why many other teams and fans are upset at the amount of coverage he gets. As a Broncos fan, even I was finding the continual TB stories on NFL.com a bit over the top. The thing is, TB is used to this as he was treated the same way in college football. I remember going to visit Billy Mays in Florida a couple of years ago and the whole NE Florida area was totally obsessed with the kid. Given all of this, it's amazing how he still seems to keep his feet on the ground - maybe there is something in the faith lark after all!

And the Twitter record for highest trending was after he completed the pass to Thomas, with something like 9,500 Tweets per second about Tebow. He is just box office for so many areas of the media, that it's no wonder they highlight him. As you say, the incredible part of this is how grounded he remains, and that's during the highs of teh media love-in, and the lows (relatively) when everyone was dismissing him ahead of the draft due to his throwing action, and particularly the long wind-up. He was a college kid, being absolutely torn apart, and yet he stayed very level-headed, just as he will do after the drubbing from the Patriots this weekend.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports