Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Next James Bond?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm not sure there is much of a story left to tell, is there? Craig saved the franchise from the doldrums. And let's face it, most Bond films before Craig were either arse achingly dull or ridiculously over the top. Craig's tenure had some genuinely great films in it. But the story is over now.

Making Bond anything but a white male would kill the franchise. End it.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I'm not sure there is much of a story left to tell, is there? Craig saved the franchise from the doldrums. And let's face it, most Bond films before Craig were either arse achingly dull or ridiculously over the top. Craig's tenure had some genuinely great films in it. But the story is over now.

Making Bond anything but a white male would kill the franchise. End it.

Why?

Sounds a little bit racisty.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
You know, I think you will find that today, they let Black people join the Navy too. They even allow some at Eton!
Truly, white people are never going to be accepted in US 1970's black ghettos. But Bond films are not set in the past, even if the character was originally from a different time, in modern Bond films, Bond is modern, so it is not the same ting blud.

I find it amazing that after 25 or so films , films watched and loved all over the world , and which unless you have lived in a cave for the past 50 years know exactly who and what to expect from James Bond , there appears this unfathomable belief that he should now be a different race,gender or sexual orientation . WHY ?????

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Ian Flemings Bond could not have been black, no. Not a chance you could send a black guy to most foreign countries to do spionage and secret agent things in the 1950s as it would scream "American agent". But if they keep him in the modern era, I don't see why not - Craig, Brosnan or Daltons Bond could have been black without making the movies (even more) unrealistic.

So change for change sake ?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
1205051_full.jpg

I think Chris Hemsworth would be a good fit. He did a terrific James Hunt in Rush (and no, that wasn't a euphemism). Nailed the posh Brit accent.

He gets my doris leaking like a busted fridge.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
You can make 007 anything you want.

You can't make James Bond anything but how he's always been because that's who he is.

He is a fictional character and therefore can be anything we want him to be.

Was the colour of Daniel Craig's hair a barrier to him playing the part? I think not. Afterall the character was described as dark by fleming and all the previous actors had dark hair. But a blond was still cast in the role.

So why should the colour of someone's skin be a barrier?

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Was the colour of Daniels Craig's hair a barrier to him playing the part? I think not. Afterall the character was described as dark by fleming and all the previous actors had dark hair? But a blond was still cast in the role.

Completely agree. Fiction - does what it says on the tin.:thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just saw this story about an awesome corn maze with a Bond design(See below), and got me thinking again about who the next Bond will be. Never really a fan of Daniel Craig tbh, and hard to beat Connery or Moore
I can understand you preferring either Sean or Roger, but preferring them both makes me wonder if you're just being nostalgic. I thought Daniel was excellent.

I don't think they've decided what they're doing with the next Bond yet, so they won't know who to cast.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
From Russia with Love the best Bond Film
Connery clearly the best Bond.
The only new Bonds I could think of would be joke ones and would probably upset or annoy someone, so I won’t.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
You can make 007 anything you want.

You can't make James Bond anything but how he's always been because that's who he is.

If you "can't make James Bond anything but he's always been", then why is he now all of a sudden now a some kind of tearful insecure self-doubting non-smoking feminist in the last couple of movies?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Was the colour of Daniel Craig's hair a barrier to him playing the part? I think not. Afterall the character was described as dark by fleming and all the previous actors had dark hair. But a blond was still cast in the role.

Because there's 50 years of him being a White Scotsman as part of his backstory. Pretty obvious really.

Why exactly would you change the canon of the character named James Bond however?

There's literally no reason too. Makes zero sense as part of his history.

The fact you're asking why would changing a character skin colour when the character is well established probably means you'll watch any old rubbish.

I mean should they change Black Panther to an Asian actor because no Asian has played the role? Personally I think that would be an idiotic decision and would make the character laughable.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
If you "can't make James Bond anything but he's always been", then why is he now all of a sudden now a some kind of tearful insecure self-doubting non-smoking feminist in the last couple of movies?

He's always been a white Scotsman.

We know why he's like he is now. It's called shit writers with agendas.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Completely agree. Fiction - does what it says on the tin.:thumbsup:

Wrong. Just because its fiction doesn't mean it doesn't have its own established characters, worlds and customs within it.

Just because Star Trek is fiction doesn't mean you can go and make Dr Spock a Klingon who thinks rashly. That's just screwing with an established character because the writer is a wanker.

Rambo

Don't Push me
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
I have always been a massive Bond fan, but after the last film for me it’s time to let him go and put the character to rest, along with Star Wars. You can have too much of a good thing.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I have always been a massive Bond fan, but after the last film for me it’s time to let him go and put the character to rest, along with Star Wars. You can have too much of a good thing.

Have to agree.

The longer they draw these franchises out for nothing more than money the worse they get and move away from what made the originals classics.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He's always been a white Scotsman.

We know why he's like he is now. It's called shit writers with agendas.

He's always been a white Scotsman? Except when he was English (Moore, Craig), Welsh (Dalton), Irish (Brosnan) and Australian (Lazenby). Otherwise, you're spot on. All about agendas rather than the best actor the time. Except... You know the original "white Scotsman" only got the role as a placeholder for an Englishman?

Even with Fleming, he always intended for him to be English but after seeing Sean Connery he was compelled to write Scottish origins into James Bond's background. I guess it means that a fictional character, you can make it up as you go along.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here