Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...

Interest rate rises to 3%​

As anticipated, the Bank of England has raised interest rates by 0.75 percentage points to 3%.
It is the biggest single rise in the cost of borrowing since 1989.

The Bank of England's decision means its benchmark interest rates have hit 3% for the first time since November 2008, in the midst of the financial crisis.

Before the economic downturn, the rate for much of the 2000s varied between 3.5 and 6%.

But between July 2007 and March 2009, the Bank's Monetary Policy Committee drastically lowered these rates from 5.75% to 0.5% in response to the crash - and they would remain below 1% until May this year.

And quite frankly, it's madness. Raising interest rates is almost guaranteed to plunge us into a deeper recession.
The reason to raise interest rates is to counter wage inflation. Inflation currently isn't driven by wage inflation, it's supply chain challenges due to Russia and Brexit.
All this does is puts even less money in people's pockets which is not how you stimulate growth in the economy.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

No 10 confirms government wants more countries to sign Rwanda-style deals to take asylum seekers​

Downing Street has confirmed that the government is trying to find other countries willing to follow Rwanda and reach an agreement with the UK to take people crossing the Channel in small boats and hoping to claim asylum.
We have 14 overseas territories where the UK still has responsibility for defence and foreign relations, and where the British monarch is the head of state. I'm surprised Braverman is not advocating using the Falklands as her final solution for these people.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Andrew Bridgen MP, not only told off by a judge for perjury in court, over a family matter, has now been suspended from Parliament, for breaching lobbying rules.
What a shabby shower we have in government at present.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
And quite frankly, it's madness. Raising interest rates is almost guaranteed to plunge us into a deeper recession.
The reason to raise interest rates is to counter wage inflation. Inflation currently isn't driven by wage inflation, it's supply chain challenges due to Russia and Brexit.
All this does is puts even less money in people's pockets which is not how you stimulate growth in the economy.
Inflation has been increasing at a pretty steady rate since Feb 21, albeit more steeply earlier this year, but now back on trend.
Inflation.png

That indicates its primarily not due to the Russian situation (although an issue), or Brexit as inflation is similar everywhere.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
If Labour do get back in it will be such fun watching the Momentum loons taking the party over again as Starmer sits on his hands, there is no way the Unions will give him free rein

If Conservatives do get back in it will be such fun watching the Neo Liberal loons taking the party over again as Sunak sits on his hands, there is no way the ERG will give him free rein.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yep, and someone like me on a crap wage is going to be told by my boss that " times are hard and I'm afraid you can't have a pay rise now...." shit times ahead

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Andrew Bridgen MP, not only told off by a judge for perjury in court, over a family matter, has now been suspended from Parliament, for breaching lobbying rules.

Ah but, Jeremy Corbyn....

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Think he might have to skip the country on his Irish passport at this rate

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Boris Johnson had signed up enough MPs to mount a challenge to Rishi Sunak for the Conservative leadership, senior Tory Sir Graham Brady has confirmed.
Mr Johnson dramatically pulled out of the race amid speculation he did not have the 100 nominations needed.
But Sir Graham, who runs Tory leadership contests, said Mr Johnson had just decided not to stand.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Boris Johnson had signed up enough MPs to mount a challenge to Rishi Sunak for the Conservative leadership, senior Tory Sir Graham Brady has confirmed.
Mr Johnson dramatically pulled out of the race amid speculation he did not have the 100 nominations needed.
But Sir Graham, who runs Tory leadership contests, said Mr Johnson had just decided not to stand.
Well I must admit I didn't think Johnson had the votes, but that's what you get when you're dealing with a perpetual liar. Nice to see the loon list in full...

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Well I must admit I didn't think Johnson had the votes, but that's what you get when you're dealing with a perpetual liar. Nice to see the loon list in full...
He must have been gutted that almost half those alleged MP supporters would not come out in public!

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

I went along to the Newick Bonfire last weekend, and was talking with my mate whos part of the Society. Told him they missed a trick by not having a Johnson or Truss effigy...& his reply was that it wouldn't have gone down at all well in the village if it had been proposed. Hes staunch anti-Tory, but it doesn't sound like the rest of Newick is!

So instead, we had a "safe option" Guy Fawkes being blown up, and a ER2 & Paddington tribute.....meh.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I assume that the non-loonies told Johnson he would be remembered as the man who destroyed the conservative party if he stood (and won the member vote - which he would have done). Half the parliamentary party would have resigned the whip, and plenty would have crossed the floor, had he returned as PM....one would have hoped.....albeit, now we have seen the return of Sue Ellen, the tories appear to have become the party of instant redemption :facepalm:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe the fat oaf can't count?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Tories would have been buried if he had become leader again and was subsequently found to have misled Parliament, for which there seems to be plenty of evidence.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Chris Philp, a Home Office minister, has said it is “a bit of a cheek” for people who he said had “entered the UK illegally” to complain about conditions.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
Whilst Brexit is the cause of a lot of shit right now, I am not too sure that in this instance it is having so much of an effect and blanket blaming takes away from the actual issues it has caused. As you can see, we are far from alone in this, in fact, we are less worse off than many countries still in the EU. I think Russia is without doubt a cause though and maybe the longer term knock on effects of Covid more than Brexit.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 11.29.42.png
    Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 11.29.42.png
    518.1 KB · Views: 24

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here