Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I would suggest a LOT of it has to do with 'Boris' announcing he was going, having been invited by the organisers.

A whole load of ego at stake with politicians.

Mind you, it'll be interesting to watch the 'it's just all for show – world leaders don't need to be there' people who came out in support of Sunak's original decision flip-flop in support of him changing his mind... :lolol:
Exactly. World Trade isn't as much as what you have to sell as who you know. and hob nobbing with world leaders is essential. There's no way Sunak is going to let Johnson upstage him, but I'm sure he will.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It is, but to be fair to Titanic, he needs to celebrate his party's victories where he can, no matter how negligible they are :shrug:

Although I did think he had given up trying to defend Johnson's Brexit cabal, given his comments about who he was voting for at the campaign for the last Conservative leader before this one ???
not the trussterfuck?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Apparently Downing Street has now said that Sunak is no longer committed to any of the promises he made in his summer leadership campaign. As reported by the BBC:-

Downing Street has said all of Rishi Sunak’s campaign promises over the summer are under review - meaning he is no longer committed to the specifics of any of them

Looks like we've got ourselves another untrustworthy loony at the top.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It’s the ultimate do as we say summit, flying across the world, massive convoys of SUVs telling the plebs they need to do more.
Quite. Nothing any of them say do will make any meaningful difference compared to the volume of polluting shite being churned out by the Chinese which isn’t changing any time soon. This is all about politics, egos and appearances - from a priorities and practical point of view was fair to say he wasn’t going IMO.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Apparently Downing Street has now said that Sunak is no longer committed to any of the promises he made in his summer leadership campaign. As reported by the BBC:-

Downing Street has said all of Rishi Sunak’s campaign promises over the summer are under review - meaning he is no longer committed to the specifics of any of them

But he lost?

Why would any of those things be in place? It was rejected by the select few that could vote.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

which policies were you keen to see?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was that the same Sir Lindsay Hoyle who allowed Johnson to go unreprimanded in the HOC for regular lies, and, to defame Starmer by saying he failed to prosecute Saville ?
The same Sir Lindsay Hoyle who is waiting for his peerage?

I prefer to listen to someone who was there as well as the Labour MP Chris Bryant.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

which policies were you keen to see?
I have no recollection now of the policies he was espousing at the time. I doubt I would have been supportive of any of them. But whatever commitments he gave then, he is not necessarily going to stand by now.

Hence, "another untrustworthy loony" who will say any old shit to get himself elected and then abandon it as soon as his craving for power has been satiated.

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Despite all the hysteria and grandstanding from the opposition at the time (Chris Bryant posting photos on Twitter etc...) it turns out to be a bit more fake news:

An internal investigation has found no evidence of bullying during a vote on fracking last month, the House of Commons speaker has said.
Sir Lindsay Hoyle said the atmosphere was "tense" but there was no evidence of "undue influence" on MPs.
He added that the report about the incident would be published shortly.
So the Speaker has de facto accused Chris Bryant of lying and making it all up. Hmmm.

Now who do I trust I wonder?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It was more an observation on the hysterical nature of some of the opposition than a defence of anyone.
How do you feel about the "Hysterical Nature " of Sunak desperately trying to rally his troops by trawling up Corbyn at PMQ's as a distraction? That was TRULY hysterical!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I have no recollection now of the policies he was espousing at the time. I doubt I would have been supportive of any of them. But whatever commitments he gave then, he is not necessarily going to stand by now.

Hence, "another untrustworthy loony" who will say any old shit to get himself elected and then abandon it as soon as his craving for power has been satiated.
" These are my principles and, if you don't like them, well, I have others! " Marx, Julius.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If Labour do get back in it will be such fun watching the Momentum loons taking the party over again as Starmer sits on his hands, there is no way the Unions will give him free rein

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
If Labour do get back in it will be such fun watching the Momentum loons taking the party over again as Starmer sits on his hands, there is no way the Unions will give him free rein
Another one who thinks he knows exactly what the Labour bogeyman will do instead of concentrating on the absolute clusterfuck of Tory rule.

Inflation, higher mortgage rates, the possibility of £4000 energy bills and rolling power cuts, no Northern Irish power sharing or government, tens of thousands arriving via dinghy despite “controlling our borders”, key workers leaving in droves, strikes in almost every industry, three PMs since July, a twice reappointed Home Secretary who leaks like a sieve, leaders of the country chosen by 80000 geriatrics, police convictions for breaking rules introduced by themself, prorogue of Parliament and an ongoing enquiry into misleading of parliament and the problem is the f***ing unions?

My granny could run the country better and she’s been dead since 1999.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
bac1eef9018ecffe3d8365371c7b8e6c.jpg

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
D12F3E28-D231-4719-A4E2-7E04D53A3065.jpeg

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I would suggest a LOT of it has to do with 'Boris' announcing he was going, having been invited by the organisers.
Well I suggest that it has everything to do with The bungle**** saying he was going. He couldn't have him taking all the limelight and potential increase in popularity could he?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex

Interest rate rises to 3%​

As anticipated, the Bank of England has raised interest rates by 0.75 percentage points to 3%.
It is the biggest single rise in the cost of borrowing since 1989.

The Bank of England's decision means its benchmark interest rates have hit 3% for the first time since November 2008, in the midst of the financial crisis.

Before the economic downturn, the rate for much of the 2000s varied between 3.5 and 6%.

But between July 2007 and March 2009, the Bank's Monetary Policy Committee drastically lowered these rates from 5.75% to 0.5% in response to the crash - and they would remain below 1% until May this year.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The Bank of England has warned the UK is in its longest recession since records began, as it raised interest rates by the most in 33 years.

In its outlook for the UK economy, it said the country would face a "very challenging" two-year slump.

It also warned the unemployment rate will nearly double.

The Bank lifted the UK interest rate to 3% from 2.25%, the biggest increase since 1989.

It takes borrowing costs to their highest since 2008, when the UK banking system faced collapse

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013

No 10 confirms government wants more countries to sign Rwanda-style deals to take asylum seekers​

Downing Street has confirmed that the government is trying to find other countries willing to follow Rwanda and reach an agreement with the UK to take people crossing the Channel in small boats and hoping to claim asylum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here