Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
This 'race' has been far too much about the person – and, to an extent, the party – than what is actually best for the country. That, to me, speaks volumes. Party members and MPs looking after themselves and everyone else can get tae fcuk.
This is the Tories Gordon Brown moment.

They've binned off a popular person who many in the party wanted and still had some wider support, and parachuted in a new leader who nobody except some MPs want.

It was the beginning of the end in new Labour, short lived and resulted in over a decade in opposition.

The Tories now face the same.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This is the Tories Gordon Brown moment.

They've binned off a popular person who many in the party wanted and still had some wider support, and parachuted in a new leader who nobody except some MPs want.

It was the beginning of the end in new Labour, short lived and resulted in over a decade in opposition.

The Tories now face the same.
Instead of being binned off, I thought Blair had agreed with Brown to step down? I'm probably wrong as back then I had even less of an interest in politics than I do now, but I do recall some kind of pact between them. Johnson was forced to go, but it was of his own doing – as I've said, if he'd have done nothing wrong, he would still be there now – but that's not how he rolls, as everyone knows.

But, to your wider point, I agree that unless Sunak can miraculously bring the Tory party and the country together, Labour will win the next GE. At which point, according to some people I know, the situation will get even worse :shrug:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I said that Boris Johnson would be back as prime minister.

I was wrong.

If anyone wants to keep reminding me I was wrong please do so.

I need to know I am wrong, and that I will continue to be wrong. Just so that I don't worry about it happening.
I think he'll be back as opposition leader, which means he *could* be back as Prime Minister at some point, but I think it's unlikely. He's even managed to piss off and/or let down the people who were supporting him, which has, in turn, made them look a bit silly. They won't forget that!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
I said that Boris Johnson would be back as prime minister.

I was wrong.

If anyone wants to keep reminding me I was wrong please do so.

I need to know I am wrong, and that I will continue to be wrong. Just so that I don't worry about it happening.
BL, your nightmare is over. You were wrong.
I had an early night and didn’t hear the news until I had my early morning pint of tea. The tea and that news really set me up for the day……….and it’s not pissing down with rain.
Yippee 😁👍

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Of course. And Keir Starmer is a lizard distantly related to the royal family, didn't you realise? They all own unicorns, you know...........

Fair enough, I just find it interesting that you assert that the Tory members essentially will not "vote for a darkie", but the best man for the job of Labour leader has always literally been a man. And white. Is it just a freak happening that someone with dark skin and/or female has never been the best person to lead the Labour Party?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Fair enough, I just find it interesting that you assert that the Tory members essentially will not "vote for a darkie", but the best man for the job of Labour leader has always literally been a man. And white. Is it just a freak happening that someone with dark skin and/or female has never been the best person to lead the Labour Party?
The fact you appear to be confusing GT49er as a Labour fanboy is amusing to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The fact you appear to be confusing GT49er as a Labour fanboy is amusing to me.
I'm not though. I have no idea where he aligns politically, because my visits to the political threads are very few and far between.

I'm not sure how it's relevant to the question, either.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
bumble**** on his way to power, rode roughshod over the traditional Tory MP’s and so revenge is the order of the day the knives will be out. They know he‘s down but not out so I fully expect every closet to be emptied and every nasty little secret to be aired.
He’s toast and it will be humiliating.
In my over active imagination he was given an envelope of photographs and asked if he really wanted to come back. Lol.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I may week be wrong on this but with the exception of Shirley Williams no female has gone for leadership. I also believe that no one of colour has gone for leadership. You can’t vote in someone who isn’t standing. There is of course the question of why no female or person of colour has stood previously.

When two very senior people of colour in the Tory party are virulent anti immigration, even though they are offspring of immigrants you do have to wonder on the mind set of the party in general.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
In my over active imagination he was given an envelope of photographs and asked if he really wanted to come back. Lol.
Very much this. I also like to think that if bumble**** did get the vote, King Charlie would have said ‘Afraid not, he who lied to my mother, let the people decide’ which he is entirely within his mandate to do.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I may week be wrong on this but with the exception of Shirley Williams no female has gone for leadership. I also believe that no one of colour has gone for leadership. You can’t vote in someone who isn’t standing. There is of course the question of why no female or person of colour has stood previously.

When two very senior people of colour in the Tory party are virulent anti immigration, even though they are offspring of immigrants you do have to wonder on the mind set of the party in general.
been many female candidates. including Diane Abbott on one (only black candidate i think), last time there was Nandy and Long-Bailey, before that Cooper.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
been many female candidates. including Diane Abbott on one (only black candidate i think), last time there was Nandy and Long-Bailey, before that Cooper.
I’m not a labour voter (or Tory for that matter) so was going on an obviously dry poor memory.
Hence the maybe wrong comment.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

I think there's been a fair few - last time Starmer was up against Lisa Nanny and Rebecca Long-Bailey in the final run-off, with Jess Phillips and Emily Thornberry already eliminated.

Anyway, this is all a bit tangential, so back on topic...

Will Morduant get to 100 backers? It's looking unlikely isn't it, unless some MPs will side with her in order to ensure the membership do get to vote.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Will Morduant get to 100 backers? It's looking unlikely isn't it, unless some MPs will side with her in order to ensure the membership do get to vote.

She might do, but I really can't see the vote going to the membership, Mordaunt will bail today IMO.

arewethereyet?

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
It really should not go to the membership to vote, look at the complete hash they made 6 weeks ago. If Mordaunt wants party unity and put the country first then she should give way and let Dishi get on with job.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
I think there's been a fair few - last time Starmer was up against Lisa Nanny and Rebecca Long-Bailey in the final run-off, with Jess Phillips and Emily Thornberry already eliminated.

Anyway, this is all a bit tangential, so back on topic...

I think the Tory grandee’s have made the decision to go with Sunak and will do what’s needed to ensure Mourdant doesn’t get the required 100 votes as she is just as much of a basket case as Truss.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
This 'race' has been far too much about the person – and, to an extent, the party – than what is actually best for the country. That, to me, speaks volumes. Party members and MPs looking after themselves and everyone else can get tae fcuk.
Mordaunt’s interview with Kuenssberg yesterday, stressing and stressing how it wasn’t about the person and all about the people, while her unconvincing tone, body language and general egotistical transparency relayed quite the opposite message.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea

Boom boom

maxresdefault.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here