Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Clad it in wood, throw down some sawdust and hay and it’s an allowable expense apparently
You'd guess guardian etc are already lining up weeks worth of damning stories.

The pool, knifing Boris, illegitimate, party gate fine, wife non dom tax avoider, billionaire out of touch, father in laws influence, sunaks links to globalist cabals etc.

It's going to be a field day, the tory MPs are going to get wiped out clinging to fishy rishi.

Let the games begin!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I vote for the candidate that I think will do a good job for my constituency. Then I look at the wider picture of the country.
As it happens, the candidate I will vote for next time, reflects both.
Similar and it grates me tbh, as my local mp is a Tory, she's been great as a constituency mp, never been in government, is now in mourdant camp (which for me is the least worse of the options). I will feel bad not voting for her, but I just couldn't vote for a Tory national govt after all the lies. If i could vote for her locally and labour nationally i would, but alas, the country needs change more.
She is a decent local MP who will go down because of her party.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
That’s why I said naively.

but Sunak was also one of the first to resign when it got too much. I don’t like his politics, but I think he’s much more likely to do things properly and be honest.

my interpretation of what has happened over the weekend and Johnson’s conversations with Sunak and Mordaunt is that he was only on about 60 votes, was trying to persuade one or the other to stand aside for him, and that they both told him to do one. Reading his statement last night, it really is a (short) essay in entitlement and delusion.

but the Daily Mail apparently has said it is an example of wisdom and statesmanship, or something similar.
Boris has worked from the same playbook he used back when the race to replace Cameron was on: He stayed in until it became clear to him he wasn't going to win, at which point he pulled out. Because Boris is very good at avoiding "defeat" by recognising when he's beaten early. Back then, he knew the race was up the moment Gove stabbed him in the back. This time, yet again, he's not pulling out because of any altruistic "it's better that I don't run" wisdom, but rather because he doesn't think he'll be able to win (and/or doesn't think he'll get to 100 in reality and has therefore pulled out while he can still plausibly claim he would).

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
I appreciate it should, but it doesn't work that way. You know it. We all do. Idealism doesn't win votes. It's perceived connection from voter perpective as well as policy.

You think Johnson is a good politician? Trump, Blair, Farage? It's a lot about charisma and story telling. Connecting with sections of voters.

Feel sure I'll vote red at next GE (as cons have become toxic) but Starmers lack of personality and the fact he is not able to easily talk normally without deviating from highly scripted talking points (which makes him bland & robotic) isn't going to retain him much support outside traditional labour voter base when light is on him constantly and the problems dont all go away. Labour base will vote for him regardless.

Floating voters decide elections and leaders personality/charisma is a factor.

You are correct, but wouldn't it be nice if they didn't and behaved like grown ups.

Maybe check the manifesto see if they a line with what they believe in. They are not going to have the PM around for drinks or go have lunch with them, so what does it matter, as long as he/she is doing a good job. I don't get it.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Sunak is the worst option for Labour, he’s actually sensible and him being correct over truss’s approach helps a lot.

Johnson coming back would have been a gift

Not really the Johnson supporters of the last election despise him for "stabbing Johnson in the back" as they see it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sunak is the worst option for Labour, he’s actually sensible and him being correct over truss’s approach helps a lot.

Johnson coming back would have been a gift
I wonder how many first time Labour voters in places like Burnley will be backing Sunak? He hits a completely different target in terms of popular support.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I appreciate it should, but it doesn't work that way. You know it. We all do. Idealism doesn't win votes. It's perceived connection from voter perpective as well as policy.

You think Johnson is a good politician? Trump, Blair, Farage? It's a lot about charisma and story telling. Connecting with sections of voters.

Feel sure I'll vote red at next GE (as cons have become toxic) but Starmers lack of personality and the fact he is not able to easily talk normally without deviating from highly scripted talking points (which makes him bland & robotic) isn't going to retain him much support outside traditional labour voter base when light is on him constantly and the problems dont all go away. Labour base will vote for him regardless.

Floating voters decide elections and leaders personality/charisma is a factor.

3rd time lucky :wink:

But it's this whole personality and charisma, X factor politics and the lack of 'serious' politicians that you were raging about a few pages ago. It's what the public wants and has proven successful over the last few years, so it's what they get. I can't believe anyone really voted for Boris Johnson to lead us to a new 21st century of 'sunlit uplands' of economic prosperity, growth and independence and then set out the political and economic agenda of Britain for the next 5 years in order to deliver it, did you ?

Toute nation a le gouvernement qu'elle mérite. Never truer than today :shootself

Last edited:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
He is also privately fuming that the party grandees set the bar so high (100 MPs) to get on the ballot. This again shows he didn't have the 102 MPs he claims he had, and still claims he had.
I must say that the 1922 Committee have played a blinder here. I guess they had privately worked out the rough number The Liar would get backing him, and set the bar high enough above that to make sure he wouldn't be able to be in the members vote.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
For me, the evidence that Boris didn't get the 100 nominations is contained in his statement:

'and tonight I can confirm that I have cleared the very high hurdle of 102 nominations'.

He's complaining about the height of the barrier to entry he encountered. Why would he have complained about it if he had cleared it?
Nobody else has complained about it. He's complaining about it because he didn't clear it.

I wonder if this travesty of justice will fester inside him?

Edit: Just realised that @HWT has said much the same thing !

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Really? Even Tory members fancied Truss over him.
And the last time they went for a coronation with Theresa May, without consulting members caused massive member backlash.

So it will be now.

The party is fractured & ungovernable

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I must say that the 1922 Committee have played a blinder here. I guess they had privately worked out the rough number The Liar would get backing him, and set the bar high enough above that to make sure he wouldn't be able to be in the members vote.
As I mentioned before, they definitely didn't want a members vote, purely for the logistical reasons (hacking, elderly membership, trying to set up a secure method of voting etc). Looks like they won, at least.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
As we’ve seen, Johnson supporters are not as great as being made out

How many more would have gone if suspended in a few weeks?
Obviously true in the Parliamentary party, but for some strange reason there is still an enormous bulk of support for him in the country, especially in the Tory membership.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
3rd time lucky :wink:

But it's this whole personality and charisma, X factor politics and the lack of 'serious' politicians that you were raging about a few pages ago. It's what the public wants and has proven successful over the last few years, so it's what they get. I can't believe anyone really voted for Boris Johnson to lead us to a new 'sunlit uplands' of economic prosperity, growth and independence and then set out the political and economic agenda of Britain for the next 5 years in order to deliver it, did you ?
No, and I know more people who voted tory in 2019 that did so primarily to stop Corbyn than did so based on Tory manifesto.

Johnsons majority was less about his popular appeal, than him being "not Corbyn" plus clever sloganeering with "get brexit done" that appealed to simpletons in the red wall and others sick of parliamentary shenanigans of the previous few years.

His was a gift of timing and backdrop.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
This 'race' has been far too much about the person – and, to an extent, the party – than what is actually best for the country. That, to me, speaks volumes. Party members and MPs looking after themselves and everyone else can get tae fcuk.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I said that Boris Johnson would be back as prime minister.

I was wrong.

If anyone wants to keep reminding me I was wrong please do so.

I need to know I am wrong, and that I will continue to be wrong. Just so that I don't worry about it happening.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here