Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
The Tory’s have done it again. Marketing Sunak as a dead cert. Selling him as the man who saved the economy through Furlough.

Sunak is a billionaire who’s billionaire wife only started paying the correct tax when she got rumbled.

Sunak had to pay a fine for attending lock down party’s with Boris and his wife .

Sunak believes scientists had too much say during Covid. Let us not forget how many lives were lost while the Tory’s dithered and ignored the problem.

Sunak is the richest MP in Parliament. His constituents are amongst the lowest paid in the U.K.

Sunak deliberately and proudly redirected funds from poor areas of the U.K. to richer, Tory populated areas.

He is not to be trusted. No Tory is to be trusted. They are all spineless, soulless, witless. highwaymen without a shred of moral fibre among them.

Plough them all into a pit.
All of that is true, but just look at the alternatives 🤢🤢🤢🤢🤢

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Blimey the return of all the sycophants for Johnson, Mogg, Dorries, Zhawi, Braverman Wallace, Sharma (FFS i really thought better of you)

Its tragic to watch at home and abroad...
Any Tory MP who publicly backs BJ is a large part of the problem and should play no part in the political future come the next election. It really is beyond pathetic now

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I don't think Sunak has anything to do with race. Badenoch was very popular with membership.

I reckon it's that they like Boris and many still do and however capable Sunak may or may not be, he is perceived as the snake who knifed Boris.... "ready4rishi" domain having been registered months in advance.

They don't like/trust him as he was plotting his coup months in advance whilst still chancellor.
Yes there is the cult (careful how you say this) element they love in Johnson. The racist minority (around 10-15% IMO, mostly English nationalists) in the membership will tip it in favour of Johnson if we get there.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Blimey the return of all the sycophants for Johnson, Mogg, Dorries, Zhawi, Braverman Wallace, Sharma (FFS i really thought better of you)

Zahawi (when harbouring his own ambitions) twisted the knife saying he absolutely had to go, and now he says he saw the new Boris 2.0 before he stood down, the contrite, understanding of mistakes etc.

What a repugnant creature Zahawi is...... not an ounce of integrity.

Where are the conviction politicians who say what they really think however hard, rather than only what they want you to hear in that moment. It's all hot air.

Rotten.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Your perogative my friend. But alas I don't agree, there's good and bad people in all parties.

To take Labour, the policy positions of Blair and Starmer are far nearer in the political spectrum to many of those of Cameron and Johnson, than they ever were of Corbyn.
And yet a Labour tribalist voter sees no contradiction in moving miles from hard left to centre left. It's a different political party now except the badge (and much better too imho), but back towards Blairite centrist and much nearer to many Tory administrations than Corbynism. I agree with you to an extent. Starmer is too right wing f I’m
Your perogative my friend. But alas I don't agree, there's good and bad people in all parties.

To take Labour, the policy positions of Blair and Starmer are far nearer in the political spectrum to many of those of Cameron and Johnson, than they ever were of Corbyn.
And yet a Labour tribalist voter sees no contradiction in moving miles from hard left to centre left. It's a different political party now except the badge (and much better too imho), but back towards Blairite centrist and much nearer to many Tory administrations than Corbynism.
I see Starmer as quite right wing. He concerns me.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Any Tory MP who publicly backs BJ is a large part of the problem and should play no part in the political future come the next election. It really is beyond pathetic now
Labour tribalists really should root for Bojo imho.

He'll either be kicked out again in weeks after ethics committee, or will lead the Tories to a Canada style wipe out and total realignment in 2 years that will lock them out for decades.

Bojo as PM was like Pardew at the end in Palace!

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Zahawi (when harbouring his own ambitions) twisted the knife saying he absolutely had to go, and now he says he saw the new Boris 2.0 before he stood down, the contrite, understanding of mistakes etc.

What a repugnant creature Zahawi is...... not an ounce of integrity.

Where are the conviction politicians who say what they really think however hard, rather than only what they want you to hear in that moment. It's all hot air.

Rotten.
I really like to try and see the best in people, Nadim is another one I used it think was a good egg in rotten cabal. I was so wrong

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
He is just trying to get elected and has been keeping his mouth shut whilst the Tories implode.

However, his policy indications on Kuenssberg this morning such as going after non-doms and making public schools pay tax are very encouraging.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Its where the Labour Party needs to be to carry the country, hard left like hard right in not where most reside nearer centre.

And the thing that makes his Labour party more appealing is same as Blair, he gets that they need to be not only focused on redistribution but on business and growing the economy. They need to be business friendly and growth focused more than ideological. Social justice costs real money!

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
I fear that there are a load of political shenanigans going on behind the scene to ensure Johnson ends up in a mix where he may get back in. If this is the case I hope that the investigations into him aren’t dropped. I hope that the case against him is proved and he has to step down again. At that stage I don’t see anything other than a general election which the Tories will lose by a landslide (Which will happen later anyway if Sunak or Mordaunt get selected).
Personally, I’d hate it if Johnson and his cronies get in.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
He is just trying to get elected and has been keeping his mouth shut whilst the Tories implode.

However, his policy indications on Kuenssberg this morning such as going after non-doms and making public schools pay tax are very encouraging.
Sorry slight off topic! I think the closing public school tax "loop hole" is an ideological driven policy, that sounds very Labour, that is not going to be economically beneficial.

The argument that everyone should have access to better education is valid, but is a different argument of government funding and that shouldnt affect private school availabity or reducing what is often better to the lowest common denominator, any more than us insisting Albion should be at the level of the Dog&Duck as that's the level of most of us and we dont get paid to play.

I went to state school but I know 2 friends who send their kids to a private school, neither is by definition rich, both working couples, who sacrifice much, (1 hasn't had a holiday in 7 years) to put nearly all disposable income into their kids education at a school with higher attainment standards.

The reality is Starmers nice sounding idea will close off the opportunity for many working non millionaire couples, who rely on the tax break (don't forget that the state is now not paying for state school) such kids will now have no choice but state education. That burden will now fall on the state and not parent. The loss of revenue in private education establishments will push prices up making them more and not less elitist as the very well off can still pay , only working middle earners now can't and will these kids attain the same level of education that adds a similar amount back in taxes over a working lifetime?

If I can't have it neither can you is not a valid argument.

Maybe means testing is more reasonable rather than banning.

Any valid way to increase funding and opportunities/standards for all is always welcome but a different argument.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry slight off topic! I think the closing public school tax "loop hole" is an ideological driven policy, that sounds very Labour, that is not going to be economically beneficial.

The argument that everyone should have access to better education is valid, but is a different argument of government funding and that shouldnt affect private school availabity or reducing what is often better to the lowest common denominator, any more than us insisting Albion should be at the level of the Dog&Duck as that's the level of most of us and we dont get paid to play.

I went to state school but I know 2 friends who send their kids to a private school, neither is by definition rich, both working couples, who sacrifice much, (1 hasn't had a holiday in 7 years) to put nearly all disposable income into their kids education at a school with higher attainment standards.

The reality is Starmers nice sounding idea will close off the opportunity for many working non millionaire couples, who rely on the tax break (don't forget that the state is now not paying for state school) such kids will now have no choice but state education. That burden will now fall on the state and not parent. The loss of revenue in private education establishments will push prices up making them more and not less elitist as the very well off can still pay , only working middle earners now can't and will these kids attain the same level of education that adds a similar amount back in taxes over a working lifetime?

Any valid way to increase funding and opportunities/standards for all is always welcome but a different argument.

That's not really the argument though is it? It's a case of you can have it but you should be paying the right price. That will obviously mean those on the cusp of affording it now will miss out but that happens in life. They cling to the charitable status due to the scholarships they hand out. For example at Eton, I believe it works out at about 3% of the school have scholarships!!! I wonder whether they save more in VAT than the cost of those scholarships!!!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard

Braverman has actually backed Sunak. Reading all the Boris fanatics commenting on Conservative twitter sites (mainy Guido Fawkes) is actually quite interesting. For all of them BoJo is a hero and Sunak is a snake - if he wins then they'll never vote Conservative at the GE. Anyone who backs Sunak is a stooge of the World Economic Forum apparently and someone to hate. They're really quite upset Badenoch and Braverman have backed Sunak, very disappointed in them, but into the 'hated' column they must go, only Boris supporters are tolerated.

Which is an interesting thing. These rabid Boris supporters on the twitter tend to be right wing, anti-woke, anti-tax, libertarian types, which isn't very close to Boris' actual positions. They're far more aligned with the likes of Badenoch and Braverman, but because they idolise Boris so much they are fervently in his corner regardless.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Braverman has actually backed Sunak. Reading all the Boris fanatics commenting on Conservative twitter sites (mainy Guido Fawkes) is actually quite interesting. For all of them BoJo is a hero and Sunak is a snake - if he wins then they'll never vote Conservative at the GE. Anyone who backs Sunak is a stooge of the World Economic Forum apparently and someone to hate. They're really quite upset Badenoch and Braverman have backed Sunak, very disappointed in them, but into the 'hated' column they must go, only Boris supporters are tolerated.

Which is an interesting thing. These rabid Boris supporters on the twitter tend to be right wing, anti-woke, anti-tax, libertarian types, which isn't very close to Boris' actual positions. They're far more aligned with the likes of Badenoch and Braverman, but because they idolise Boris so much they are fervently in his corner regardless.
Quite, but right wing Tories know that Johnson is first interested in Boris Johnson. Thus he can get what he wants, do his clown thing, and appeal to whom he appeals.

In the background they can do their thing and pull the strings.

He was never PM, he was the public face.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The most peurile aspect of all is the myth that BoJo 'delivered Brexit'. Did he f*ck. Dominic Cummings delivered Brexit. By simply super-imposing General Election voting template on top of Brexit voting template. That Red Wall thing? That was a one-off to force politicians to enact the Brexit decision that they were individually unwilling to do because they clearly thought they knew better than those who voted for them. That was then, this is now, Clowntime Is Over :wave:

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Labour tribalists really should root for Bojo imho.

He'll either be kicked out again in weeks after ethics committee, or will lead the Tories to a Canada style wipe out and total realignment in 2 years that will lock them out for decades.

Bojo as PM was like Pardew at the end in Palace!
They do that in the US, in the form of backing a nutty candidate in the other party's primary with the idea that they'd be easier to defeat in the general election. They even have a word for it "rat f***ing".

It always stuck me as extremely dangerous.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
They do that in the US, in the form of backing a nutty candidate in the other party's primary with the idea that they'd be easier to defeat in the general election. They even have a word for it "rat f***ing".

It always stuck me as extremely dangerous.
That's two words.
But yes, you're right. It's both dangerous and undermines the whole system if people aren't engaging in good faith.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I reject your premise that private schools offer better education. Prospects, yes, because they are all about networking and passing exams but in terms of giving a child a well rounded education, most are well below equivalent state schools, the teachers need no qualifications (other than having attended private school themselves so that they understand elitist culture). They do generally have fantastic facilities though.

I think I would be a horrific father if I worked two jobs to in order to get my kids into a private school, possibly a boarding school and then end up never seeing them but if money was the most important thing in my life rather than spending time with my kids, I suppose I would.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I reject your premise that private schools offer better education. Prospects, yes, because they are all about networking and passing exams but in terms of giving a child a well rounded education, most are well below equivalent state schools, the teachers need no qualifications (other than having attended private school themselves so that they understand elitist culture). They do generally have fantastic facilities though.

I think I would be a horrific father if I worked two jobs to in order to get my kids into a private school, possibly a boarding school and then end up never seeing them but if money was the most important thing in my life rather than spending time with my kids, I suppose I would.
Reject all you like mate. It has nothing to do with elitism or networking even. In most county school league tables exam attainment is higher in some private schools than most state in county. That's the only reason and doesn't have to involve boarding nor places like Eton which are obvs elitist.

I'd never send my lad to boarding school either.

Class sizes, facilities make a difference and it isn't true that teachers don't require qualifications in job decriptions.

There are always exceptions and poor private and outstanding state schools.

Personally I can't afford a private school but I moved to area with better school catchment, but no probs (if i could afford it) putting my son in best local school I could manage with best overall pass averages. If that was private and I had money I would.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here