Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Next Conservative Leader - Rishi Sunak

Who should be the next leader of the conservative party?

• Boris

Votes: 48 17.8%
  • Therese Coffey

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Rishi Sunak

Votes: 107 39.8%
  • Penny Mourdant

Votes: 31 11.5%
  • Ben Wallace

Votes: 21 7.8%
  • Jeremy Hunt

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Mick Gove

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • Suella Braverman

Votes: 4 1.5%
  • Chris Grayling

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Matt Hancock

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sir Graham Brady

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Jacob Rees-Mogg

Votes: 18 6.7%
  • Dom Raab

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nadine Dorries

Votes: 11 4.1%
  • Pretty Patel

Votes: 1 0.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
If boris wins I don’t see how they will have a functioning government. I agree with those who have written in the media that it could lead to a wipe out. That would be quite something when it is only 3 years since the biggest tory landslide for decades.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
It’s wrong it goes to the membership, the MPs are the ones that see them up close and what they are capable of.

Doesn’t mean they will get it right, but I would trust them more than the party voting.
But are they ever truly objective? Or just back who they think will win then arse lick in hope of Cabinet job.

I just don't see any way Sunak has any hope in next GE. You could stick anything in a labour rosette and it beats Sunak.

The members don't want him from all I've read, with a lot threatening to leave.

MPs dont have a clue about the country as a whole or constituents. They really are living in a bubble.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Will be slightly surprised now if Boris gets the 100 nominees, or announces his candidacy. In which case, question will be whether his supporters switch on masse to Mourdant, pushing it to the members.

Sunak as PM still seems the least likely outcome to me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I fear this isn't going to end well. The parliamentary party will be very much in favour of Rishi (quite rightly IMHO - through the Covid turmoil years he at least showed he knew what he was doing!) and will offer the 167,000(?)ish Tory party members (less those who are not on Smart phones or t'internet) the choice of Rishi and one other.

The 167,000 will then vote for whichever one isn't non-white. Same reason the worst elements of the Tory party membership voted for Truss, even though she was hopelessly out of her depth (to put it kindly - I wouldn't be so kind!)
So, if the Tory membership are racist, as you imply, presumably you also consider the Labour membership to be both racist and sexist as they've only ever elected white men?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Will be slightly surprised now if Boris gets the 100 nominees, or announces his candidacy. In which case, question will be whether his supporters switch on masse to Mourdant, pushing it to the members.

Sunak as PM still seems the least likely outcome to me.
If it gets to the membership you're right. But there could well be a stitch up, coronation of sorts.

If Boris can pursuade backers not to switch camps, effectively to block Mourdant.

Ben Wallace backing Boris is my main worry, he's done great in Ukraine crisis and just hope Sunak (if it's him) doesn't dispense with him.

And please remove Shapps from Home Office, he's useless.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
A lot of hype engineered by Johnson’s team to drum up support (that isn’t there unless you are a lacking Tory MP on a promise) I don’t see him formally announcing when he establishes that he’s been humoured by the party

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
So, if the Tory membership are racist, as you imply, presumably you also consider the Labour membership to be both racist and sexist as they've only ever elected white men?
I don't think Sunak has anything to do with race. Badenoch was very popular with membership.

I reckon it's that they like Boris and many still do and however capable Sunak may or may not be, he is perceived as the snake who knifed Boris.... "ready4rishi" domain having been registered months in advance.

They don't like/trust him as he was plotting his coup months in advance whilst still chancellor.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But are they ever truly objective? Or just back who they think will win then arse lick in hope of Cabinet job.

I just don't see any way Sunak has any hope in next GE. You could stick anything in a labour rosette and it beats Sunak.

The members don't want him from all I've read, with a lot threatening to leave.

MPs dont have a clue about the country as a whole or constituents. They really are living in a bubble.
apart from the 40-odd% voting for him, selection in a ultra Tory seat to be here in the first place. weird narrative he cant get any votes because racist tories, though there certainly some, its almost as if others are pushing this as applying to the rest of the country.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
They were under Jeremy Corbyn and Anti-semetic as well, but that’s all changed now he has gone. Do try to keep up!

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
There was a caller to LBC who said rishi isn’t British and that is why the tory members won’t vote for him. British is boris Johnson. The irony is that Johnson was born in America and sunak born here. I can’t think what else they meant by not English.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The Tory’s have done it again. Marketing Sunak as a dead cert. Selling him as the man who saved the economy through Furlough.

Sunak is a billionaire who’s billionaire wife only started paying the correct tax when she got rumbled.

Sunak had to pay a fine for attending lock down party’s with Boris and his wife .

Sunak believes scientists had too much say during Covid. Let us not forget how many lives were lost while the Tory’s dithered and ignored the problem.

Sunak is the richest MP in Parliament. His constituents are amongst the lowest paid in the U.K.

Sunak deliberately and proudly redirected funds from poor areas of the U.K. to richer, Tory populated areas.

He is not to be trusted. No Tory is to be trusted. They are all spineless, soulless, witless. highwaymen without a shred of moral fibre among them.

Plough them all into a pit.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
A lot of hype engineered by Johnson’s team to drum up support (that isn’t there unless you are a lacking Tory MP on a promise) I don’t see him formally announcing when he establishes that he’s been humoured by the party
I think he's going to do it.

And I wouldn't mind betting there is a lot of bullying and threats going on.

I think he will be crowned again next week. I so want to be wrong.

The Standards Committee has a Tory majority. How can we be sure they are truly independent ? And if they were, how can we be sure that they won't be threatened by various dark forces ?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
They were under Jeremy Corbyn and Anti-semetic as well, but that’s all changed now he has gone. Do try to keep up!
Again that's a generalisation.

There are many on the hard left who are pro Palestine and were elevated to the mainstream under Jezza- anti semitism wasn't cracked down on sufficiently.

I'm not convinced loads of any mainstream party Labour, Lib Dems or Conservative are institutionally racist. (There's always a minority element in all)

BNP, EDL even Farage's mob have higher racism. (Accepting none is ever acceptable)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Boris Johnson is their best chance of winning a GE so he’s already a shoo in.

Working class Tory voters think he’s a hero.

A lot of Torys and Tory voters don’t like brown people, so Sunak is out.

Boris Johnson has muck on a lot of people, he’ll blackmail people into voting for him as leader.
It’s probably why he had lockdown party’s and allowed photographs of so many Tory members, staff and MP’s to be taken. Instant dirt on swathes of his party. I’m not joking.

Anyway, I reckon he’ll win.

We, the public lose, whoever wins. They’re all crooks.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It needs to be Nadine!

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
No Tory is to be trusted. They are all spineless, soulless, witless. highwaymen without a shred of moral fibre among them.

Plough them all into a pit.
With greatest respect, and whilst you'll probably find many advocating likes on NSC, this is tribalist generalised bollox.

There's many decent people in all parties. They may have vastly opposing views on many subjects that doesn't make them any less human or capable of both good and bad as individuals.

My local MP is Tory backbencher, she's a fantastic consticuency MP, done a lot for the area, and has helped directly in 2 personal matters that made a huge difference to outcome. I had similar one time in 2009 when my MP was labour. They were both very helpful and approachable.

Sleaze and lies is something both major parties have had their fair share of and that's individual character and endemic in politics. Blair, Mandelson, Corbyn were moral character deficient too!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I don't think Sunak has anything to do with race. Badenoch was very popular with membership.

I reckon it's that they like Boris and many still do and however capable Sunak may or may not be, he is perceived as the snake who knifed Boris.... "ready4rishi" domain having been registered months in advance.

They don't like/trust him as he was plotting his coup months in advance whilst still chancellor.
Someone from the Johnson Brexit cabal actually planning something in advance ? Shirley not :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
With greatest respect, and whilst you'll probably find many advocating likes on NSC, this is tribalist generalised bollox.

There's many decent people in all parties. They may have vastly opposing views on many subjects that doesn't make them any less human or capable of both good and bad as individuals.

My local MP is Tory backbencher, she's a fantastic consticuency MP, done a lot for the area, and has helped directly in 2 personal matters that made a huge difference to outcome. I had similar one time in 2009 when my MP was labour. They were both very helpful and approachable.

Sleaze and lies is something both major parties have had their fair share of and that's individual character and endemic in politics. Blair, Mandelson, Corbyn were moral character deficient too!
Never trust a Tory. Sorry, I don’t trust any of the bastards.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Never trust a Tory. Sorry, I don’t trust any of the bastards.
Your perogative my friend. But alas I don't agree, there's good and bad people in all parties.

To take Labour, the policy positions of Blair and Starmer are far nearer in the political spectrum to many of those of Cameron and Johnson, than they ever were of Corbyn.
And yet a Labour tribalist voter sees no contradiction in moving miles from hard left to centre left. It's a different political party now except the badge (and much better too imho), but back towards Blairite centrist and much nearer to many Tory administrations than Corbynism.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Blimey the return of all the sycophants for Johnson, Mogg, Dorries, Zhawi, Braverman Wallace, Sharma (FFS i really thought better of you)

Its tragic to watch at home and abroad...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here