Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Risky yes, now it seems with all the names in the hat it’s into take a punt territory anyway.

Who wouldn't be a punt in your opinion?

Do you really think Martinez would be number 1 candidate? I'm not sure about him at all. Although if he brought Henry as his assistant I'd be all for it!

Yes, right philosophy, right personality, right experience, educated in the same school bench as Gus Poyet and Graham Potter. I think absolutely he would be the top candidate.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Either Gallardo and Martinez are so out of our league that we wouldn't even consider them or it's very quiet on those fronts. Why would you not approach the absolutely best managers that you have even a (albeit VERY) small chance of getting?
We seem to be being linked with almost reassuringly realistic options. I wonder if Bloom has a little more ambition than that.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Svensson & Haise distanced themselves from the job then ?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Either Gallardo and Martinez are so out of our league that we wouldn't even consider them or it's very quiet on those fronts. Why would you not approach the absolutely best managers that you have even a (albeit VERY) small chance of getting?
We seem to be being linked with almost reassuringly realistic options. I wonder if Bloom has a little more ambition than that.

Our manager salary budget is £X.

Managers requiring £>X aren't on the list. It probably is that simple.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Again it’s remarkable how - cos it’s not wrapped up in a few days = club don’t know what they’re doing, they might as well just make a “punt”, go with Lallana , “anyone”.

I agree with the thought process of the poster you quoted.

The prospect of the new manager being someone with a consistent and proven record in English football or a comparable league is receding. That means we are taking a punt with a new manager. Personally i'm fine with that, we take a punt of up and coming players all the time and it mostly works out. But we are taking punt.

The line of logic continues that if we're taking a punt, it may as well be on someone, we know the characteristics of and who would represent a certain level of continuity.

I think it's what I would do. I would try to get through until after the world cup with Crofts and Lallana. See how they do. But I say that as someone who knows nothing about De Zerbi, Knutsen etc etc. I don’t know if we can get them, I don’t know what English they speak, I don’t know if they would demand players we won’t pay for. I guess the club know this stuff more than I do. I still think the most likely scenario is we appoint someone who (incredibly) hasn't been mentioned so far on this thread

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Again it’s remarkable how - cos it’s not wrapped up in a few days = club don’t know what they’re doing, they might as well just make a “punt”, go with Lallana , “anyone”.

Paul Barber very clearly talked about "the process" and "having time on our side" in his press conference. It meant I wouldn't be expecting a name until late next week at the earliest. Just thinking about Knutsen for example, we'd have to get permission to speak to him, he'd have to want to, his backroom would all be in a position to leave Norway (or else he also has to recruit) and even then he might not pass the interview process, which will be rigorous. And that's ONE candidate. However.......

I don't think there is any chance that Martinez will not take Belgium to the World Cup finals, one of the favourites to win the cup with an easy group to qualify from.
Dream on I reckon.

If we've had a word with Martinez to take over after the WC then it makes perfect sense to stick with Crofts and Lallana until then, who know the club and system well enough. That's not information we're going to shout about all over. Martinez would be ideal IMO. Probably the best manager out there still in a job where we might have a reasonable chance. However, it would need some kind of pre-agreement. If he wins it (and Belgium could) we'd probably get gazumped.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
If we've had a word with Martinez to take over after the WC then it makes perfect sense to stick with Crofts and Lallana until then, who know the club and system well enough. That's not information we're going to shout about all over. Martinez would be ideal IMO. Probably the best manager out there still in a job where we might have a reasonable chance. However, it would need some kind of pre-agreement. If he wins it (and Belgium could) we'd probably get gazumped.

Exactly, it’s very risky. And if I was the Belgian FA I’d probably not want to go in to World Cup thinking the manager is already on his way out and not 100% focussed

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I don't think there is any chance that Martinez will not take Belgium to the World Cup finals, one of the favourites to win the cup with an easy group to qualify from.
Dream on I reckon.

It would have to be after the World Cup.

Gallardo and Martinez are in very different positions. Gallardo is managing his boyhood team, one of the biggest clubs in the world, and doing very well over there. It would take something extraordinary to get him away and I don't think Brighton fits that description.

Martinez on the other hand is only 49 years old and has been managing Belgium for six years and most likely feel the urge to return to club football.

I think he'll look for something suitable in England and the top clubs are unlikely to come calling when he has been out of club football for so long. He likes a dirty good vision, it was one of the major reasons Dan Ashworth managed to bring him to Wigan back in the days.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It would have to be after the World Cup.

Gallardo and Martinez are in very different positions. Gallardo is managing his boyhood team, one of the biggest clubs in the world, and doing very well over there. It would take something extraordinary to get him away and I don't think Brighton fits that description.

Martinez on the other hand is only 49 years old and has been managing Belgium for six years and most likely feel the urge to return to club football.

I think he'll look for something suitable in England and the top clubs are unlikely to come calling when he has been out of club football for so long. He likes a dirty good vision, it was one of the major reasons Dan Ashworth managed to bring him to Wigan back in the days.

could well be in competition with leicester, villa and everton by then!

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna

Taking us to the next level won't be quick and easy and won't be with the staff we have got left with. At best we would be ponderous in attack and vulnerable to a breakaway counter attack whilst holding a single goal lead, and a bit short in strength in depth with the player sales. Pressing is over rated, passing is what counts, which means running around a lot.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
could well be in competition with leicester, villa and everton by then!

Maybe. Think Lampard is pretty safe. Leicester would probably have sacked Rodgers if they could afford to do it and hire a replacement but judging from the summer window it just looks like they can't afford it. Villa could be a candidate I suppose.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Blimey - same old big babies on this thread already spitting out their dummies and assuming the worst because we haven't appointed anyone yet in spite of knowing precisely nothing about who we've approached and what conversations have been had other than a very few tidbits leaked out to Naylor and us having time on our side.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Even if we know our number 1 choice, we will wait and speak to our number 5 people incase they surprise us with some added value. Anyone on our list will have some upside and there is no reason to rush. They probably have different benefits and potential issues as well that need considering and weighing up. If we get to next weekend and still not appointed someone then fair enough to worry or start asking questions but we do things correctly and thoroughly not just snap at the first person we like who turns up for an interview who could ‘do a job’.

It’s horrible waiting but worth it for that extra bit of diligence.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Even if we know our number 1 choice, we will wait and speak to our number 5 people incase they surprise us with some added value. Anyone on our list will have some upside and there is no reason to rush. They probably have different benefits and potential issues as well that need considering and weighing up. If we get to next weekend and still not appointed someone then fair enough to worry or start asking questions but we do things correctly and thoroughly not just snap at the first person we like who turns up for an interview who could ‘do a job’.

If we wait too long we risk Chelsea hiring our target from under our noses

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018

Exactly

I get to experience the hyperbole from our front office (on boarding) on a daily basis working in 2nd line financial crime, asking why it’s taking so long, why are you asking for this, there’s no concerns with their UK footprint etc.

Quite often it’s not until you complete your enhanced due diligence that you actually undercover concerns that need to be considered and addressed if you are to have a business relationship with any longevity or sustainability.

Nathan

Jan 8, 2010
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10390031 said:
If we wait too long we risk Chelsea hiring our target from under our noses

Perfect, Potter and the gang can come back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here