Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Next Brighton manager

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
FWIW Haise is now odds-on and clear favourite
Yes the others have drifted out massively. Haise 1/2 at bet Victor. Obviously can't rely on bookies odds for new managers but this is getting a little exciting now.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Haise seems perfect, hopefully his English will be good enough soon enough.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Seems like pundits and media trawling the globe to find any manager who has turned a pony club into a world beater on assumption that's what we are looking for, resulting in most being 'never heard ofs' except by a few geeks.

Surprising number come up; perhaps GP is not as unique as we think.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
She's managing women, not men.

The levels of egos at the highest level would be huge in the men's game.

Even male managers are faced with "losing the change room" over personality clashes.

Then there's the different cultures that can be at a football club from around the world among the players.

Don't expect they will all have the same attitude to a female coach telling them what to do as female players would.

There's a hell of a lot of complexities at play in a team and this just adds another very different layer to the mix.

So much is made of 'egos' in the world of top footballers' as if these people are impossible to manage. Lots of talk about whether Potter can handle the egos in the Chelsea squad.

I think it's all rubbish really. I think the amount of egotistical people that can make it to the top of a game which requires teamwork and sacrifice is tiny.

I don't see egos in the Brighton squad. Gross, Lamptey, Trossard, Welbeck, Lallana, Mwepu, Veltman, Caicedo - where are the egos? They're ambitious and confident and driven, but few if any have these egos that puts their personal status or whatever ahead of their willingness to succeed.

So yes, a crap manager can lose the dressing room, loose the togetherness. But it's because they're crap. The assumption that an excellent female manager would lose the dressing room because she's not a man is a stretch.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I dunno he sounds pretty uninterested to me (google translated version)

In an interview with Avisa Nordland, Knutsen is asked if he has heard anything from the English Premier League club.

- Firstly, I have Morten Wivestad as my agent. I have been clear that now I stand with my head in a pressure cooker, and things that are outside Bodø/Glimt I am completely uninterested in. I do not want any inquiries, and I do not answer any telephones. Whether it's +35 or whatever. I don't answer +47 either. I only have 100 per cent focus on Bodø/Glimt, says Knutsen to the newspaper.

Knutsen makes no secret of the fact that people wonder if there is anything new about the job situation. He is clear that the focus is only on Glimt.

- Even people in my immediate circle ask if something is happening. The answer is that I have no answers, because I am only focused on what is here.

It means very little.

I'd be absolutely shocked if he had said "ye, I'm like 73% focused on my football team now and 27% focused on possibly moving to England".

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
So much is made of 'egos' in the world of top footballers' as if these people are impossible to manage. Lots of talk about whether Potter can handle the egos in the Chelsea squad.

I think it's all rubbish really. I think the amount of egotistical people that can make it to the top of a game which requires teamwork and sacrifice is tiny.

I don't see egos in the Brighton squad. Gross, Lamptey, Trossard, Welbeck, Lallana, Mwepu, Veltman, Caicedo - where are the egos? They're ambitious and confident and driven, but few if any have these egos that puts their personal status or whatever ahead of their willingness to succeed.

So yes, a crap manager can lose the dressing room, loose the togetherness. But it's because they're crap. The assumption that an excellent female manager would lose the dressing room because she's not a man is a stretch.

There is a chance that the players may gang up on the manager if they think he's a plum. It's called downing tools. Some very alarming examples.....including one of Mourinho's teams....who was that, now? Oh yes....Chelsea!

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I guess we may struggle to get managers to leave projects that are going well.
We aren't a champions league club offering them a step up.
Neither are we offering them a realistic chance of European football, (which they most likely have in their current job)

We are offering them a challenging set of fixtures, in which they may well be compared very unfavourably with our previous coach.

Sure the money will (probably) be better and the Premier League is a better standard.
But I think the idea that we will have our pick of managers, may be slightly exaggerated.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Regardless of who it is, I'm looking forward to reading the insights on NSC of the new überfan (some might say 'stalker') of the gaffer. NooBHA set the bar quite hight but Swansmann smashed through it with regards knowledge of the boss, a willingness to comment on pretty much anything and seemingly bizarre lifestyle choices. I'm expected big things from the next manager's number one fan :)

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Neither are we offering them a realistic chance of European football, (which they most likely have in their current job)

We are offering them a challenging set of fixtures, in which they may well be compared very unfavourably with our previous coach.

Sure the money will (probably) be better and the Premier League is a better standard.
But I think the idea that we will have our pick of managers, may be slightly exaggerated.

If people agree to take the meeting then I think we do have our pick. European football and their current situations may stop them accepting the invitation though.

This is a good job to get for an ambitious looking to make their name. Replicating the success these candidates have had in their respective leagues in the EPL will be a very tempting lure.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Having read what I can on the seemingly primary candidates, my preference is for De Zerbi or Haise. Knutsen seems to be a great developer of talent, but gets criticism from his own fans for only having one tactic (a form of 4-3-3) and simply trying his one tactic harder if things aren’t going to plan. In the PL you have to be able to mix and match.

Have actually gone from total despair to feeling excited for the future.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Disagree - fantastically well-run club in the 'best league in the world', and a clear and proven stepping stone to the top 6. As Barber says, the levels of interest will be enormous.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
There is a chance that the players may gang up on the manager if they think he's a plum. It's called downing tools. Some very alarming examples.....including one of Mourinho's teams....who was that, now? Oh yes....Chelsea!

That I don't doubt. Of course it comes from one if the more egotistical names in football, who's playbook seems to be about challenging players egos rather than working for togetherness

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Having read what I can on the seemingly primary candidates, my preference is for De Zerbi or Haise. Knutsen seems to be a great developer of talent, but gets criticism from his own fans for only having one tactic (a form of 4-3-3) and simply trying his one tactic harder if things aren’t going to plan. In the PL you have to be able to mix and match.

Have actually gone from total despair to feeling excited for the future.

That seems a tad harsh on Knutsen given the quality of players he has had to work with thus far. Haise looks to be an interesting option.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
Disagree - fantastically well-run club in the 'best league in the world', and a clear and proven stepping stone to the top 6. As Barber says, the levels of interest will be enormous.

Yup, there is no better advert than having had your previous manager poached by one of football’s financial behemoths. It does mean of course that we’re going to be on this merry go round every 2-3 seasons, but as long as our trajectory is in the right direction, I’ll take it. It prevents boredom.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
My money (which is bollocks actually, as I never gamble) is on someone who isn't even on the betting radar - a random appointment out of nowhere just seems more likely than all of us all knowing loads about the next manager by the time the photoshoot is commissioned.

I'm ruling out De Zebri, as he's too keen... also, I would have expected his appointment quickly as he's available...
Im ruling out Knutsford, as his name sounds too much like a small rural market town in Cheshire - which is confusing.
I'm ruling out the French coach.
I'm ruling out the Brazilian, as he's ruled himself out.

I'm ruling out the rest too.

But, I'm not ruling out pretty much anything else.

Exciting times.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Franck Haise might be my favourite now but really it would help to know how much English the leading 3 or 4 candidates speak. It could bump the Celtic Aussie up from 4th or 5th on my list to a contender if the others really don’t speak a word (but I imagine some/most of them do).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here