[Albion] Next Brighton manager

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
Brian Schmetzer's Seattle Sounders FC finished 2nd in the Western Conference of MLS in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 & 2021. Every year they were the most consistent club in all of MLS. They are currently 9th in the Western Conference but could finish a bit higher. The MLS season ends soon, October 9.

Some may remember that Richie Towell had played for the Portland Timbers before he came to Brighton under Chris Hughton. In Portland Towell won an MLS cup with the Timbers. The team that gave Portland the toughest game on their way to the cup was Schmetzer's Seattle Sounders FC.

I was in the USA last year and watched a fair bit of MLS, about a dozen games, as I got bloody Covid. Can't remember teams as I didn't follow one specifically. But the standards were dire. I mean most of the teams I saw wouldn't make it in the Championship. Just truly awful.

No idea on this manager, but the overall standards were shockingly bad imo.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
Knutsen is my preference with Jones right behind him. If we do not get either one, would love Christian Streich.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I was in the USA last year and watched a fair bit of MLS, about a dozen games, as I got bloody Covid. Can't remember teams as I didn't follow one specifically. But the standards were dire. I mean most of the teams I saw wouldn't make it in the Championship. Just truly awful.

No idea on this manager, but the overall standards were shockingly bad imo.

I've seen quite a bit of MLS. Very strange league where you've got some good marquee players (almost always forwards) up against lower league standard defences. Don't think the Americans mind as what they don't want are loads of tight games. I think it makes it difficult to imagine that managing there would be any sort of preparation for the Premier League.

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I've seen quite a bit of MLS. Very strange league where you've got some good marquee players (almost always forwards) up against lower league standard defences. Don't think the Americans mind as what they don't want are loads of tight games. I think it makes it difficult to imagine that managing there would be any sort of preparation for the Premier League.

Better quality than I think some give it credit for, but yes not up to the standards that I hope it can attain one day. As far as the best choice for us in regards to current MLS managers just as a hypothetical, I would take Caleb Porter.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I quite like the idea of Kjetil Knutsen.

Good for headlines; "Kjetil steaming over VAR", "Red Hot Kjetil wins again" - that kind of stuff.

We can have a big banner that says 'The Mutt's Knutsen" if he's brilliant.

If he's hopeless, the surname only needs a couple of letters switched around.

All the important things that I'm sure will figure in the club's thinking.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach

Agreed with that. The defending was woeful in the games I saw and nowhere near the standards and pace of the PL.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I quite like the idea of Kjetil Knutsen.

Good for headlines; "Kjetil steaming over VAR", "Red Hot Kjetil wins again" - that kind of stuff.

We can have a big banner that says 'The Mutt's Knutsen" if he's brilliant.

If he's hopeless, the surname only needs a couple of letters switched around.

All the important things that I'm sure will figure in the club's thinking.

Easy chant of “We’ve got our Knutsen”

Sinister Melon

Jun 15, 2022
People who say that a woman can't manage a men's club should remember that it wasn't that long ago that the idea of a woman PM was seen as far-fetched (Thatcher said it wouldn't happen in her lifetime) and we've now had three. The idea of a woman bishop was seen as completely impossible but the first one has been appointed. Two hundred years ago, the idea that women could be doctors or judges would have been laughed at.

We've had women manage men in other football leagues, we have women referees in the men's game and we've had a female coach in county cricket. I have no idea whether B&B are looking at appointing a female but I'm certain that we'll see a female manager of a league club in my lifetime

I'm sure there will be, but I hope we're not the first to do it. I can already see the media circus accusing the fans of whichever club appoints the first female manager of being every "ism" under the sun as soon as she gets criticised. Which she will no matter how good or bad a job she does, because that's just how football fans are. Just look at how many people on here loved to have a moan about potter (even before the recent events).

It will be like the whole handful of dicks booing after the Leeds game again, but about 100x worse.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I'm sure there will be, but I hope we're not the first to do it. I can already see the media circus accusing the fans of whichever club appoints the first female manager of being every "ism" under the sun as soon as she gets criticised. Which she will no matter how good or bad a job she does, because that's just how football fans are. Just look at how many people on here loved to have a moan about potter (even before the recent events).

It will be like the whole handful of dicks booing after the Leeds game again, but about 100x worse.

Exactly. Look at the flack we got for the CH sacking and the 'racism' accusations. Don't hear anything from those pundits now saying how bad it was to sack him. Though I was shocked at the time.

As an aside, I can't remember how long it took us to appoint Potter, but it was a couple of weeks from memory. Now he jumps ship in less than 24 hours?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I've been busy all day and to save me scrolling back through the posts, any substance to the Gallardo or Knutsen links? Or are we still very much in rumour land?

Sinister Melon

Jun 15, 2022
"Join date June 2022" ???

I don't really see how my join date is relevant to the point I made, but as you seem to be curious, I've been visiting the forum for almost a decade now. I only recently decided to make an account as (a) until earlier this year I lived in Brighton and got all the Brighton related football chat I could want when I went to the pub with my mates and (b) more importantly, someone posted a picture stat graphic I wanted to have a look at but if you don't have an account you can only see a tiny pixelated image.

Is that good enough to satisfy you?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Until after the World Cup?

Been wondering about the world cup timing….it’s so close now has Uncle Tony nailed one of the managers to join us immediately afterwards ? We could muddle through what is now a relatively small number of games. Don’t know who but thought crossed my mind.

Lawros Lip

Sep 16, 2020
Been wondering about the world cup timing….it’s so close now has Uncle Tony nailed one of the managers to join us immediately afterwards ? We could muddle through what is now a relatively small number of games. Don’t know who but thought crossed my mind.

Would open things up for Hjulmand or Martinez.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports