Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Newcastle

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
Yep. Problem with us (bar losing a generation of fans through the Gillingham/Withdean era) is being so close to all the London clubs as well as having a hefty chunk of londoners with other alliegiences living in the city. We don't do too bad at all imo considering that

yes definitely

barring students not many people move to Newcastle from other major cities compared to Brighton & Hove

you also have the fact that for a long time a lot of people born in B+H would support a "premier league team". At school I was very much in the minority of people who supported Brighton, with most supporting Man U or Arsenal (some Liverpool as well)....most of them are now 'massive Brighton fans' of course.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The transfer window has 20 more days to run, if they get half a dozen more signings at the level of Keiran Trippier, they may well start winning EPL games, they play Watford and Leeds next, two wins changes everything.

The Watford game is just 5 days away, now. If they don't get a couple of signings over the line in the next 48 hours, no doubt they'll magic up a few new covid cases and get it shunted back until after the cavalry arrive.

I note that they made a point of playing zero fringe / U23 players against Cambridge (as those players would then subsequently 'count' towards the number of players deemed available for PL fixtures...)

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

[tweet]1463128959235899393[/tweet]

https://twitter.com/0ContextNUFC/status/1463128959235899393

sinatras_new_500.jpg

Bars in Benidorm The Touch of Class Group

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The Watford game is just 5 days away, now. If they don't get a couple of signings over the line in the next 48 hours, no doubt they'll magic up a few new covid cases and get it shunted back until after the cavalry arrive.

I note that they made a point of playing zero fringe / U23 players against Cambridge (as those players would then subsequently 'count' towards the number of players deemed available for PL fixtures...)

Sneaky little shites, but what do you expect from the top to the bottom with that club now.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I note that they made a point of playing zero fringe / U23 players that lost at home to League 1 Cambridge (as those players would then subsequently 'count' towards the number of players deemed available for PL fixtures...)

Sorry Hans but that post required the necessary cherry on top.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Some excellent bits in that article:

"A different reading of Wood’s switch was as follows: the best a recruitment team armed with more liquidity than any other club in a distressed transfer market could show for months of searching for an alternative to the predictably injured Callum Wilson was to pay multiple times over true value for an old-school No 9 with only three goals to show for his 17 Premier League starts this season (while furnishing a direct rival with a large pile of cash to improve their own attack in the process.)"

"The Saudi-funded takeover of Newcastle so alarmed most of the other Premier League clubs that they enforced an unprecedented change in sponsorship rules aimed at preventing the northeast club from cashing in on huge new deals. The rules were voted in last month despite opposition from Newcastle and Manchester City, and in the face of an email to all clubs sent by Staveley threatening possible legal action. Sources say the Premier League is now putting pressure on the EFL to adopt the same rules so that, should the club drop into the Championship, they would not be able to suddenly announce a host of lucrative new commercial partnerships with Saudi companies. The leverage for this comes from the parachute and solidarity payments that the top flight passes on to the lower divisions."

"Like most normal people, I very much hope Newcastle get relegated this season. There are two main reasons for this. First, everybody likes to see the filthy rich humiliated – especially the arriviste filthy rich. Is there a more cheering news story than a Lotto Lout who has just lost it all and is about to go to prison? Schadenfreude and spite are greatly undervalued dispositions, in my opinion. And second? Well – it’s Newcastle isn’t it? I mean, come on. Just imagine the blubbing. I never used to feel like this about the Geordies; indeed my extended family, coming from the Durham coalfields, had plenty of Toon supporters among the Mackems and the smoggies. But their impatience and irascibility has become more and more annoying down the years, along with their sense of entitlement and the imputation that they are a very big club when, in fact, they rank third out of, er, three in the north east for meaningful trophy successes these past 50 years."

"No manager or owner is good enough for them. Snooping around on their fans’ forum three weeks ago, I noticed that quite a few had already taken against Howe, supposedly the brightest young English manager in the game. Then you look at the loathing poured upon Bruce, who took a team tipped for relegation to 13th and then 12th place and you begin to get an insight into why the club have spectacularly underachieved. Alan Pardew wasn’t good enough, nor Sam Allardyce, nor Chris Hughton. Pardew got them into Europe and is the only Newcastle boss to be awarded Premier League manager of the season — but they couldn’t abide him. If you count the baleful caretakers, they have had a total of 17 managers in the past 14 years. That’s the kind of statistic which absolutely guarantees failure on the pitch. Newcastle last won a decent trophy when they had a manager who spent 13 years in the job, Joe Harvey. I don’t doubt for one minute that Ashley did not run the club with anything approaching great competence, but how much of Newcastle’s underachievement during his tenure was down to the perpetually livid or sobbing supporters and the odium they poured upon a succession of managers? Most neutrals, me included, believe Bruce handled himself with enormous dignity and decency. How he resisted taking a pop at the fans more often I don’t know.

And then there’s the Saudi stuff. You scarcely heard a whisper of complaint from the Newcastle fans about the provenance of their sudden good fortune. You get the feeling they’d have been perfectly happy to be taken over by the Tonton Macoute, so long as there was money in the bank. That being said, I’m not sure they are so very different to other fans in this respect. But I look forward to them playing at The Den next season. We have loads of police horses in attendance at Millwall. The Geordies can entertain themselves by punching them."

Danny Wilson Said

May 2, 2020
Palookaville
I watched MotD without knowing the results and actually cheered when Watford equalised. I imagine plenty of other people did too.

I've always kind of liked Newcastle, the club and the city. I liked the Keegan team of all-out attack and was sorry when they ****ed up the title. Geordies are a laugh when not wearing replica shirts (or bare-chested) and sobbing at the latest letdown from their team.

But now I find myself hoping that they lose every game. It's the Saudi money of course, but also the way so many of their fans have been completely uncritical about it, and just assume/pretend that we are all jealous and they are the victims of our hate and envy.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
She has the same "psychopath" eyes as Amy from Amy's Baking Company or Elizabeth Holmes. It's just a look that screams to me "unstable".

Its a look that screams to me: "Too much plastic surgery - there is very little real skin left; facial smoothness in a 70 year old woman can come at a cost???"

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Its a look that screams to me: "Too much plastic surgery - there is very little real skin left; facial smoothness in a 70 year old woman can come at a cost???"

When you can’t look at yourself in the mirror anymore, it’s probably time to face a different reflection.

“Staveley initially hit the tabloid headlines after dating Prince Andrew, Duke of York, in 2003.”

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I watched MotD without knowing the results and actually cheered when Watford equalised. I imagine plenty of other people did too.

I've always kind of liked Newcastle, the club and the city. I liked the Keegan team of all-out attack and was sorry when they ****ed up the title. Geordies are a laugh when not wearing replica shirts (or bare-chested) and sobbing at the latest letdown from their team.

But now I find myself hoping that they lose every game. It's the Saudi money of course, but also the way so many of their fans have been completely uncritical about it, and just assume/pretend that we are all jealous and they are the victims of our hate and envy.

I felt exactly the same. I don't know whether it's the history of dodgy ownership (Mike Ashley et al) and sponsorship (Wonga) etc culminating in the unspeakably dreadful Saudi take over, but I feel this is another assault (not the first of course) on the integrity of our prized asset - The Premier League. Then of course there is the inevitable success that will ultimately follow the bottomless financial support the club will get. I am envious of the success that awaits Newcastle fans but in all other respects the whole thing stinks and I hope that success is delayed by their relegation.

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
When you can’t look at yourself in the mirror anymore, it’s probably time to face a different reflection.

“Staveley initially hit the tabloid headlines after dating Prince Andrew, Duke of York, in 2003.”

surely in 2003 she would have been well over 18?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Christ :facepalm:

:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here