[Albion] Newcastle United vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Greenbag50

Jun 1, 2016
Don’t forget they had full team out, with first team starters all over pitch. We didn’t.
Key game is now Sunday. The boys gave it all…..
hope that Man City win on Sunday now!
Get behind them on Sunday….. they will need us!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Jesus Christ this forum is depressing when we lose. Football fans are morons. Sorry, yes, a lot of you are morons. No offence, like.

Is it not obvious that we have a half-strength, absolutely knackered side playing in over-congested fixtures, to the extent that we are having to play teenagers, including debuts tonight, against a top 4 team away?

Well, I thought it was obvious, anyway.
Well for a bit of balance, we did beat Arsenal 3 nil away so it’s a bit out of character to lose 4-1 tonight (and 5-1 before then) and 1-0 win before that. How does the tired legs over congested explication work across all those games? I don’t understand. Or could it be something else, less obvious?

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
To play the kind of passing out from the back we need the luxury of a world class Caicedo in CM to receive the ball, lay it off or win any 50/50 or even 90/10 duels!

For 90% of the season he has been hovering up any potential loose passes, breaking up play and winning 2nd chance balls for us. I do worry about losing him!

Last edited:

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Thing is if you're going to blame fixture congestion for bad performances (which seems reasonable) you have to also think the opposite was true, i.e. when we had fewer games we benefited compared to others. The season is 38 games after all.
It's not as simple as that. You don't have a huge advantage playing every 7 days Vs every 10. You do have a serious disadvantage if your manager feels he can't pick your best players each match. Or they're injured because of the added physical demands etc. This is purely down to the congestion and the size of our squad.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
In the first half we looked like we’d lose 6-0

In the second half we looked like we might draw 2-2

Overall, 4-1 as a halfway house is probably about right

Mike Small

Dec 26, 2008
Bloody hell, that's a bit harsh on Steele considering it was a 1-on-1. Pope did no better against Undav in exactly the same situation!

Was quite an intriguing, absorbing second half until Wilson put the game to bed.

This was always a free hit. Roll on Sunday where we need to smash Southampton and secure Europe.
Just thought he left too much space at his near post for an easier finish. Hitting it across the goal from a central position is harder. He even looked behind him after the goal and could see he left a foot too much. Shame Van Hecke didn't step up quicker though!

Krafty

Apr 19, 2023
This was a free hit considering the difficulties we have such as fixture congestion.
It is no wonder that we struggled against a strong Newcastle team who have been allowed more rest and recovery.
But we have to take this result and focus on our next game against Southampton.
It is such a vital game and more importantly, we are at home, so let's support the players during what is the hardest part of the season.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Hoped but didn’t expect to get anything from this game. Like Dyche, Smug seems to have a voodoo on us. I hate the way his team plays, snide , dirty, cheating @ukers all off them.

If and a big IF we win on Sunday. Maybe if City have won the league and have a couple of cup competitions coming up Pep might rest his best team and go easy on us, especially if it helps out his mate. Probably not but you never know.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Much much better second half. First was terrible. Usual shithousery timewasting from them but no complaints with the defeat - didn't deserve to concede those goals at the end but had to go for it.

Looking forward to he weekend already - 3 huge games to watch:

Spurs v Brentford
Liverpool v Villa
Us v Southampton

All nearly as important as eachother

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
We're knackered, down to bare bones, and playing away at Saudi FC who are in the Champ League places. Sanchez, Veltman, Webster, Colwill, Lallana, March, Sarmiento, Lamptey and Moder all unavailable for various reasons/injuries. Given that it would be impossible to maintain Arsenal level performances. Bit of perspective.

kuzushi

Oct 3, 2015
The slim hopes of Champions League football slipped away, but still a good chance of Europa League. Still in our hands. Just beat Southampton and Villa.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Beat Southampton and a positive result against Villa should be enough.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
To play the kind of passing out from the back we need the luxury of a world class Caicedo in CM to receive the ball, lay it off or win any 50/50 or even 90/10 duels!

For 90% of the season he has been hovering up any potential loose passes, breaking up play and winning 2nd chance balls for us. I do worry about loosing him!
My worry is he is irreplaceable. Everyone keeps saying we will find another gem. You don't always find another gem, especially to replace a genuinely world class midfielder. In fact even if we found another Caicedo he'd be three years off Caicedo MKI. It's a real worry and I think the only option, if we do sell him, will be to replace him with an immediately ready and very expensive signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports