Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle Penalty

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Well yes. The game then stops being about trying to score, more about trying to get it in the box then get it to hit someone's arm
Oh, PSG *tried* to score again and again in this match, but they were woeful in front of goal - in particular their £40M youngster Brad Broccoli, who skied the ball inside the 6 yard box TWICE during added time.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
We have. We saw it in the first full season with VAR when the ref was advised to look again at a March challenge v Tottenham. He stuck by his original decision of no foul (though most thought it was). And Earlier this season, when the ref was advised to look at a penalty shout for us v Marseille, and he decided we committed a foul before the penalty challenge instead (VAR wouldn't have called him to the screen for that foul, it can only decide on penalties/goals/red cards).
Good memory 👍

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Deflection/proximity probably means it isn't given in EPL

I'm not a fan of the deflection/proximity defence, when the arm is making the silhouette bigger.
It seems to me, you may as well just make sure you're as close as possible with your arms stretched out.

But tbh the current guidelines need to be scrapped.
Ridiculous number of penalties being given.
Ridiculous number of decent goals being ruled out.
Exactly. Which means on the odd occasion it WOULD be given.

Absolute shambles.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There was talk on R4 this morning that VAR may be extended to include throw-ins FFS.
Will they be checking for foul throws as well?

We have. We saw it in the first full season with VAR when the ref was advised to look again at a March challenge v Tottenham. He stuck by his original decision of no foul (though most thought it was).
Yes - but this was another episode of oddities.

I seem to remember at the time that we all thought it was probably a foul and so Lamptey's goal shouldn't have stood. But, the feeling was that it was merely the ref evening things up for us after he had realised at half-time how awful his decision to give Kane a penalty for dangerously backing into Lallana in the first half had been. That is - the general feeling was that he would have disallowed our goal if he hadn't already cocked up with their goal.

He (Moss?) obviously felt that it would be appallig to make two wrongly based VAR decisions in favour of Spurs over Brighton. Clearly the Attwell/Salisbury dou took note of this and determined to show him how to it properly later on!

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
It seems to me that there might be a correlation between the introduction of VAR and the apparent deterioration in referring standards. Could it be that knowing a mistake can be corrected after the event refs are less focused on getting it right first time?

Not deliberately but unconsciously.

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
It seems to me that there might be a correlation between the introduction of VAR and the apparent deterioration in referring standards. Could it be that knowing a mistake can be corrected after the event refs are less focused on getting it right first time?

Please don't say things like that. I get this horrible image of VAR making decisions days after the game has been played.

Skuller

Jun 3, 2017
Those on schadenfreude-watch might like to consider that were we to get through our Europa group we could easily face a parachuted Newcastle in the next round (unless there are bizarre rules or permutations I don’t know about). I really wouldn’t fancy that, having been to St James’ last season.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Those on schadenfreude-watch might like to consider that were we to get through our Europa group we could easily face a parachuted Newcastle in the next round (unless there are bizarre rules or permutations I don’t know about). I really wouldn’t fancy that, having been to St James’ last season.
We can't play a team from England in the next round (but could in the rounds after that).

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Newcastle generally aren’t great away from home maybe to cosy with their home advantage. I don’t like the way they get a by from the PL about the away fan situation claiming they can’t make the necessary changes to house away fans pitch side.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I think there is some truth in that

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't care. They broke the rules to allow the journalist butchers in.
I hope they lose every game till they're gone.
Ah, that feels better
Two clubs owned by fossil fuel states with appalling human rights records, no one won the game. It could be worse

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Being reported that the VAR official responsible last night has been replaced for the match they were due to be on duty for tonight
Umm...why is the VAR official being blamed? His role was to highlight a potential error by the on-field ref.

The referee is the sole arbiter. He should have looked at it and then said "no penalty". It was the referees mistake in changing his mind, not the VAR officials.

This is precisely the scenario that makes the game "look bent".

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Umm...why is the VAR official being blamed? His role was to highlight a potential error by the on-field ref.

The referee is the sole arbiter. He should have looked at it and then said "no penalty". It was the referees mistake in changing his mind, not the VAR officials.

This is precisely the scenario that makes the game "look bent".
Yep! Dermot Gallagher (spelling?) on 5 Live this afternoon said that no way was that a pen - it did not satisfy any of the criteria for being a pen. He was shocked the ref gave it after reviewing the screen. Said the ref is absolute top class, had a great game...until that moment. Gallagher was at a complete loss to explain the ref's final decision, and said he was very experienced and the noisy crowd/ pressure of being called to the screen should not have phased him in any way. Bizarre decision.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here