Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle Penalty

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Was reading the excessive whining on the handball penalty awarded against Newcastle. Yes it appeared to be soft, but someone went on about how it would not have been given in the PL. Really? We have had at least 4 or 5 softer imho.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
Agree it was a bad call. Dunk vs Luton for me was worse, as was the goal chalked off for Mitoma’s against Spurs. My point was only that such a call was hardly unheard of in the PL. Does not make it a good call though.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Agree it was a bad call. Dunk vs Luton for me was worse, as was the goal chalked off for Mitoma’s against Spurs. My point was only that such a call was hardly unheard of in the PL. Does not make it a good call though.
Dunk v Luton was not worse. We were 2-0 up against a shit side in a league match. This was the 98th minute of a crucial Champions League fixture away at one of the biggest sides in the world, on the verge of one of the biggest wins in their history. All schadenfreude aside, its a farcical, terrible decision, which if it happened to us would make me question even bothering to watch our next match.

How have football rules got to this that you can have a ball whacked at you on the edge of the box from a yard, you keep your arm out of the way of the ball but it then richochets off your chest onto your arm, and the referees all get together and decide the suitable punishment for that is the award of a penalty and almost certain goal? I just can't imagine how livid I would be in that situation. (and apparently they're clarifying the law for NEXT season that that won't be a handball, why not just do it now?)

I was happily supporting PSG all the way through that match, but the way it happened has given me a lot of sympathy for Newcastle and I'm very not happy about that.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Heads will roll

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The handball has always been a nightmare. Worse now you can inspect every part of it with VAR.

If it was me I’d say anything that directly hits a hand is a penalty. That way it’s black and white ( 😂 ) and consistent.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
That clip is all I've seen so I don't know to whom the ball could have gone too had it kept going up.

I agree with the Football Weekly mantra, it may well be a foul, but not a foul worthy of a penalty.
You shouldn't have a relatively straightforward goal because of a minor indiscretion.
A penalty kick needs to be harder to earn than that.

Perhaps a short corner?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
That clip is all I've seen so I don't know to whom the ball could have gone too had it kept going up.

I agree with the Football Weekly mantra, it may well be a foul, but not a foul worthy of a penalty.
You shouldn't have a relatively straightforward goal because of a minor indiscretion.
A penalty kick needs to be harder to earn than that.

Perhaps a short corner?
Indirect penalty.

The taker has to pass the ball, with all the players outside the box.
BUNDLE!

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
We got away with one at Ajax (ball hit Mitoma's hand, IIRC)....a more obvious pen than last night's. But it was never going to lead to a goal-scoring chance. The way the rules have changed (esp for UEFA matches, it seems) is ridiculous.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Heads will roll

Based on that video, I've seen worse decisions. In the PL, that would be given as a pen a few times out of 10, at least. That's not saying it's the correct decision though, I'm just highlighting the problem of inconsistency/subjectivity at play.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I'd say it's not even worse than the Forest penalty on Saturday. It's definitely hit his hand so there's an argument it's a penalty, there's no definitive evidence( that I've seen) it was a foul on Saturday

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Based on that video, I've seen worse decisions. In the PL, that would be given as a pen a few times out of 10, at least. That's not saying it's the correct decision though, I'm just highlighting the problem of inconsistency/subjectivity at play.
Deflection/proximity probably means it isn't given in EPL

I'm not a fan of the deflection/proximity defence, when the arm is making the silhouette bigger.
It seems to me, you may as well just make sure you're as close as possible with your arms stretched out.

But tbh the current guidelines need to be scrapped.
Ridiculous number of penalties being given.
Ridiculous number of decent goals being ruled out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
VAR is supposed to make this not happen. the ref can see the ball clearly ricochet off, something officials can be excused for not seeing at normal speed. that's before even considering all the ball to hand, "unnatural position" subjectivity. this is an outright failure of the officials following the rules, and start to question their motivation.

as someone said, should we even have penalties for accidental hand ball? it's probably worth while aiming at an opponent in the box to see if you can get a handball call.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
According to Howard Webb’s rules, that wouldn’t be given as a penalty in the PL as it came off his body first and in fairness, there have been instances like that where a penalty hasn’t been given after the VAR check because of that.

Was quite funny mind. Difficult watch that last night, two incredibly unlikeable sides.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We got away with one at Ajax (ball hit Mitoma's hand, IIRC)....a more obvious pen than last night's. But it was never going to lead to a goal-scoring chance. The way the rules have changed (esp for UEFA matches, it seems) is ridiculous.
Exactly. I don't think you can blame the refs for applying the laws of the game. The problem is that the laws are now stupid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here