Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Newcastle fan stabbed in Milan

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
We understand the English football fan abroad. Can have a laugh, can be a bit obnoxious but in the main it’s just “fun”. BUT to the locals I think they see it another way. It can be intimidating to men and women having to walk past these groups, so maybe the local “ultras” (hate that name) take it upon themselves to save face by bashing a few of ours. Not saying it’s right or wrong but it’s just how I see it.
Rather than it being fun I can certainly see how residents of say Milan see it instead as taking the piss.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Understandable really, the last place you'd expect to find Liverpool fans is in a pub called 'The King & Queen', the Anthem booing bastards. I'm sure they're all born and bred scousers.
1695210307656.png

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
100%. There has been so many "I won't be a target as I'm a middle aged man and won't be looking for trouble" comments on here in the last few weeks. It's naivety in the extreme. This guy was 58. Hardly a young wannabee burning flags and pissing on statues.

As someone on here pointed out recently, we have fans complaining about the smell of vapes on here. They are in for a bit of a rude awakening.
big time

SteveU

May 31, 2022
100%. There has been so many "I won't be a target as I'm a middle aged man and won't be looking for trouble" comments on here in the last few weeks. It's naivety in the extreme. This guy was 58. Hardly a young wannabee burning flags and pissing on statues.

As someone on here pointed out recently, we have fans complaining about the smell of vapes on here. They are in for a bit of a rude awakening.
This is very true but we have no idea if this man was minding his own business, taunting them or looking for a row.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
how did you get on getting your knitting into the san siro
Easy, I stabbed an Ultra up the arse with the needles and walked in directly behind him holding on to them. Told the Carabinieri I was from Brighton and that's what we all do back home.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Easy, I stabbed an Ultra up the arse with the needles and walked in directly behind him holding on to them. Told the Carabinieri I was from Brighton and that's what we all do back home.
top moderating there my saaan....:lolol: i been to games in Spain , Cyprus and Morrocco and to a lesser extent Malta .....it's an eye opener mate , for sure Morrocco was bonkers. also been South Africa , Zimbabwe and Zambia but the cops/soldiers have big guns there so everyone keeps their heads down.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
top moderating there my saaan....:lolol: i been to games in Spain , Cyprus and Morrocco and to a lesser extent Malta .....it's an eye opener mate , for sure Morrocco was bonkers. also been South Africa , Zimbabwe and Zambia but the cops/soldiers have big guns there so everyone keeps their heads down.
You'll find a lot of Brighton were doing England games away when we (Brighton) were shit. Got a good mate who I'll probably see tonight who most people my generation know who was nicked in Poland and ended up in a mental institute. I've done Spain (easy peasy, Barca tourist game), Romania last time I was out there (fairly scary but was with lots of locals) and Japan v South Korea when I lived there. Despite the Imperial hatred between the two countries it's probably the politest football match I've ever been to. Also did a few Northern Spirit games before the A League was a thing. Seemed to be full of ex pats and Aussies who were too dumb to follow Rugby League.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Milan as a city has generally become more and dangerous at night in recent years. So there's no guarantee it was a football-related assault, but if it is it's certainly an isolated group of idiotic, probably younger, men trying to "prove themselves" to their friends. It's a very unfortunate but isolated incident.

No way any of the big ultra groups would go for such an "inconspicuous" isolated target at night. Plus Inter and Milan ultra groups aren't particularly violent, they even signed a mutual pact in the early 80s that forbids any physical violence between the fans (and ultras) during derbys. They mostly concern themselves with one-upping each other in tifos and chants. Inter and Manchester City fans got along without any problems during the CL final. On the contrary, Roman (both Lazio and Roma) and Napoli ultras and fans are another matter.

In general, I see it this way; English football has heavily drunk men and sparse & disorganized hooligans, European football has ultras. Heavily drunk men are a lot less dangerous but slightly more unpredictable, while ultras are potentially way more dangerous but also more organised and predictable. Example: on tuesday Newcastle fans camped as a contingent in the same Navigli area where the man was stabbed, having fun, and from what I heard "normal" Milan and Newcastle fans got along quite well. Then some Newcastle fans took the subway alongside regular citizens (amateur hour from the city because this time they didn't reserve specific trains for the fans as they usually do), they blocked a train from leaving for a while, then bashed it a bit causing it to go out of commission, they groped women who got up trying to leave, etc.

All this to say, my comment in a previous thread still stands: "as much as you can, stay away from ultras groups", especially if they're marching or chanting. But aside from the ultras, generic fans in Europe aren't any worse behaved than English fans. Granted, away European fans will mostly be ultras but there are also normal fans in there, for example in AEK's case I'd imagine the ones coming from their London club will be more approachable.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You'll find a lot of Brighton were doing England games away when we (Brighton) were shit. Got a good mate who I'll probably see tonight who most people my generation know who was nicked in Poland and ended up in a mental institute. I've done Spain (easy peasy, Barca tourist game), Romania last time I was out there (fairly scary but was with lots of locals) and Japan v South Korea when I lived there. Despite the Imperial hatred between the two countries it's probably the politest football match I've ever been to. Also did a few Northern Spirit games before the A League was a thing. Seemed to be full of ex pats and Aussies who were too dumb to follow Rugby League.
Northern Spirit ...?? Newcastle ...?? further north ...?? Aussie domestic football is tragic to be honest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here