Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Grimaldis - arguably the best pizza in NYC/the world.

Walk across the bridge, buy a pizza to go and sit by the water looking back at Manhattan as you munch.

Then go to the nearby http://www.brooklynicecreamfactory.com/ and get an ice cream to eat on your walk back over to Manhattan.

You'll have a great few hours.

I am going to suggest that a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge in Oct/Nov is going to be a bit of an experience weather wise,.... its not breeze free in the middle of summer, I got part way across in April once, and turned back.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Hmmm not sure I agree with that.

I've been maybe 15/16 times (a lot with work) and have just come back. IMO once you have done all the sights it's pretty much similar to London......just with far worse sports/rude people/more expensive(manhattan is a rip off)/bad tv.... In fact the only thing I think I would swap is Central Park for Hyde park !!

...and I don't get all this stuff people say about shopping being a lot better over there? What can you get in NYC that you can't get in London ?
NYC get my vote every time,... London bars are in a lot of cases more expensive than some Manhatten places, service is 100 times better, places stay open longer, clothing is on the whole cheaper, electronic goods are on the whole cheaper,.... its bigger, brasher and totally geared up to the visitor.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am going to suggest that a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge in Oct/Nov is going to be a bit of an experience weather wise,.... its not breeze free in the middle of summer, I got part way across in April once, and turned back.

I took a romantic stroll across the bridge with a lady friend at dusk one New Year's Eve. I was wearing a sturdy coat but do not recall the weather being particularly bad. It can get really bad but equally it can be fine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
NYC get my vote every time,... London bars are in a lot of cases more expensive than some Manhatten places, service is 100 times better, places stay open longer, clothing is on the whole cheaper, electronic goods are on the whole cheaper,.... its bigger, brasher and totally geared up to the visitor.

Same here. It's also a hell of a lot easy to get about as most things you want to do or see are shoe-horned onto the island. London sprawls a lot more.

PS I guess the grass is always greener? I did live in London through choice for 16 years so it cannot be that bad.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Hmmm not sure I agree with that.

I've been maybe 15/16 times (a lot with work) and have just come back. IMO once you have done all the sights it's pretty much similar to London......just with far worse sports/rude people/more expensive(manhattan is a rip off)/bad tv.... In fact the only thing I think I would swap is Central Park for Hyde park !!

...and I don't get all this stuff people say about shopping being a lot better over there? What can you get in NYC that you can't get in London ?

If you don't get it after 16 trips I guess you never will

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Grimaldis is good but its just Pizza in the end and queuing up for over an hour just for a slice isnt really worth it. Your better off wandering around the West Village and stopping by John's Pizza on Bleecker St - even better in my opinion and not as crowded. The walk across the bridge is good - be warned there is construction on there at the moment and some o the views are impacted - Also, please note the massive white line down the middle of the walkway - one side for pedestrians and the other for cyclists - stick to the pedestrian side and you wont get hit by me on the way home !

The Park under the Brooklyn Bridge on the Brooklyn side is cool and there is a classy old merry go round there which is always packed and the kids love it.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Oh and I agree that Train to Newark on NJ Transit is the most cost effective way as a cab will set you back well over $100 and take 60-90 mins depending on traffic. MTA subway or cab to Penn then NJ Transit to EWR

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
OK going at half-term so have pre-booked Broadway show, city passes, Ground Zero and Statue of Liberty.

Some assistance about the subway which we intend to use all the time there is a weekly ticket which is around $27 so can this be used anytime, can you just buy it from a ticket machine or do you need a photo ID card as well ?

The only ID you will need is if you want to drink in a bar/club - depending on where you go of course but they are much more stringent on ID here - UK Driving licence is sufficient in the city - if you head down to Jersey then best to take your passport

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Machine is simple to use for travel card, you essentially get a ticket like you would on a train here, that is valid for a week on the subway, just put it through the machine each time. Nothing else needed

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh and I agree that Train to Newark on NJ Transit is the most cost effective way as a cab will set you back well over $100 and take 60-90 mins depending on traffic. MTA subway or cab to Penn then NJ Transit to EWR

Is that Penn Station right in the middle of New York as there seems to be another Penn (New Jersey)

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Penn Station NYC - 34th St between 7th and 8th Ave - Probably called 34th St-Penn St or something like that. One small word of warning though is that Penn Station is a poor excuse for a major station so dont spend any longer there than necessary

Grand Central on the other hand is beautiful and worth a quick visit - the food halls underneath are a good spot for a quick sandwich or snack as well if you happen to be in that neighbourhood

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Seeing as its a boring sunny friday here... if anyone wants any other NYC tips then let me know - wasting time till the England game Ko's at 3pm EST

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

No way manhattan bars are cheaper and pubs are a lot more expensive ... how much is the average pint in manhattan - 7 bucks? not to mention the annoying dollar tip surcharge after every drink!!

Clothing maybe slightly cheaper but our high street is a lot more fashionable just look at the two big imports from over here in the last few years -- topshop and ted baker not to mention all saints which is doing pretty well.

Other people have mentioned service .... I still don't get this myth about service being so great in the states ?!in NYC it's surly, you have to bloody tip silly amounts, its slow- take Starbucks for example snails pace. I love my restaurants and when in NYC you are treated like you are lucky to be in one of their places. I waited 90 minutes to sit down at a table at the new stk rooftop after booking a particular time a month ago--- similar stories elsewhere. Fake politeness at 5* hotels but inability to help when required etc etc etc

Don't get me wrong I like NYC just don't love it !!

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU

I took a romantic stroll across the bridge with a lady friend at dusk one New Year's Eve. I was wearing a sturdy coat but do not recall the weather being particularly bad. It can get really bad but equally it can be fine.

Agree it could go either way. Was in NYC on Haloween and early November 2003. It was 25°C, and we were sitting outside in shorts until 3am.

Have also been on Brooklyn Bridge around Xmas/New Year, and whilst it wasn't warm then, it was no worse than a typical British spring day.

Kick Ass Minton

Brooklynite
Oct 8, 2003
Brooklyn, NY
Depends where you drink i suppose - The Levee in Williamsburg serves $1 Pabst Blue Ribbon :) I agree it aint cheep but service in bars is definitely better than back home - 1 bar tender can keep a reasonably full bar happy and served quickly versus the 20 mins it takes to get served in Brighton on a busy Friday or Sat evening.

Also, There is life outside of Manhattan below 59th St - head over to Brooklyn or Queens for some great, reasonably priced / cheap food with good service - You just have to put up with the unwashed hipsters :)

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
27th October, leave late on 01st November and back Saturday morning

I see you're going to be there for Haloween too. Make sure you take fancy dress and wear it if you go out on the evening of the 31st. If you don't, you will be the only one.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I see you're going to be there for Haloween too. Make sure you take fancy dress and wear it if you go out on the evening of the 31st. If you don't, you will be the only one.

One thing I love about the US is the fervour with which they celebrate dates: Xmas, Halloween, NYE, thanks giving etc etc. I have two fantastic Xmas' in the Apple.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Seeing as its a boring sunny friday here... if anyone wants any other NYC tips then let me know - wasting time till the England game Ko's at 3pm EST

We're heading over a couple of weeks before Christmas, and me and the boy will be going to MetLife Stadium in Jersey to see a Giants game. We'll be staying in the Times Sq area - any recommendations on the best way to get to and from the game (ideally with a shorter wait than on the platform at Falmer...)?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here