Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New York

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
Another vote here for Rockefeller centre at dusk as opposed to the Empire State. Great views that encompass both the Empire State and the Chrysler Building.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Top of the Rock every time for me for a high view of the city - as others have said go up at dusk, it’s perfect.

Did a GC day trip from Vegas, which was all too brief (too windy for any plane/chopper trips as well). Thought it was absolutely astonishing…..plan to go back and hike/jog some parts of it. The scale is unimaginable.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
For those looking for Roberts name on the side of the memorial site there is a list on the wall of the museum of all the names and a reference number showing where the name can be found. Took a picture of his name with an Albion hat next to it. Didn't know the guy but just looking at the 1000's of names was very sad.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
For those looking for Roberts name on the side of the memorial site there is a list on the wall of the museum of all the names and a reference number showing where the name can be found. Took a picture of his name with an Albion hat next to it. Didn't know the guy but just looking at the 1000's of names was very sad.

We did it in June 2013, back then you had to look up the persons name on the Ground Zero website. As you say it was a very moving experience actually being there when you'd witnessed the horror on TV as it happened. I also didn't know Robert but felt very emotional when we found his name on the memorial, one of our own.

DSCN0195 - Copy.JPG

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
We did it in June 2013, back then you had to look up the persons name on the Ground Zero website. As you say it was a very moving experience actually being there when you'd witnessed the horror on TV as it happened. I also didn't know Robert but felt very emotional when we found his name on the memorial, one of our own.

View attachment 150434

We did the same and took a pic. Very moving, as it was for all the stories in the museum/exhibition.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
We did the same and took a pic. Very moving, as it was for all the stories in the museum/exhibition.

The main museum was still being built when we visited, there was a smaller temporary museum which was also very moving, it had various relics from 9/11 and played videos of peoples personal experiences. What got me was a 3hr boat trip round Manhattan Island, the older gentleman who did the commentary was excellent with an encyclopaedic knowledge of 9/11 as well as the jetliner that landed safely on the river. All very moving when you're looking at where it actually happened.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The main museum was still being built when we visited, there was a smaller temporary museum which was also very moving, it had various relics from 9/11 and played videos of peoples personal experiences. What got me was a 3hr boat trip round Manhattan Island, the older gentleman who did the commentary was excellent with an encyclopaedic knowledge of 9/11 as well as the jetliner that landed safely on the river. All very moving when you're looking at where it actually happened.

Everyone has their story.

We met a Dutch publisher in Greenwich Village, who's lived there for 50 years. He spoke moment-by-moment of the events of that morning, as if it was yesterday. Luckily for him the asbestos/aircraft fuel dust cloud got nowhere near his home.

Have you watched the movie Sully? It's about the aftermath of that jetliner landing on the Hudson.

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
Everyone has their story.

We met a Dutch publisher in Greenwich Village, who's lived there for 50 years. He spoke moment-by-moment of the events of that morning, as if it was yesterday. Luckily for him the asbestos/aircraft fuel dust cloud got nowhere near his home.

Have you watched the movie Sully? It's about the aftermath of that jetliner landing on the Hudson.

I did see the film Sully, still find it incredible that he managed to land the plane without it sinking and saving all lives on board, only to be treated by the authorities as though it was his fault.
I loved New York so much, we promised ourselves we would go back, unfortunately ill health (me) has prevented us going, but we live in hope of returning some day.
It's probably changed in the last 9 years but when we went everyone we met and talked to were just so polite and friendly, the exact opposite of what we had been lead to believe about New Yorkers. We crammed a lot into our stay but there is still so much we want to see and experience, who knows, maybe we'll manage to return one day.

:thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I did see the film Sully, still find it incredible that he managed to land the plane without it sinking and saving all lives on board, only to be treated by the authorities as though it was his fault.
I loved New York so much, we promised ourselves we would go back, unfortunately ill health (me) has prevented us going, but we live in hope of returning some day.
It's probably changed in the last 9 years but when we went everyone we met and talked to were just so polite and friendly, the exact opposite of what we had been lead to believe about New Yorkers. We crammed a lot into our stay but there is still so much we want to see and experience, who knows, maybe we'll manage to return one day.

:thumbsup:

I first went as a kid in 1979. The main change simply seems to be more skyscrapers, a growing number over a 1,000’, with the gentrification of swathes of formerly trendy ‘villages’.

Goos luck with your health and recovery. I remember that you also wanted to visit the WW1 trenches. [Hope I’m not mixing you up with someone else!].

Barrow Boy

NSC Patron
Nov 2, 2007
GOSBTS
I first went as a kid in 1979. The main change simply seems to be more skyscrapers, a growing number over a 1,000’, with the gentrification of swathes of formerly trendy ‘villages’.

Goos luck with your health and recovery. I remember that you also wanted to visit the WW1 trenches. [Hope I’m not mixing you up with someone else!].

Blimey what a good memory you have, yes I did want to visit the WW1 battlefields and was planning to go with my Father in Law (WW2 Veteran). Unfortunately he died before we could organise it, we got on so well together and shared interests in both world wars, I didn't feel like doing it on my own, so alas it never happened.
:(

Well this is turning out to be a happy thread isn't it.
:lolol:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Blimey what a good memory you have, yes I did want to visit the WW1 battlefields and was planning to go with my Father in Law (WW2 Veteran). Unfortunately he died before we could organise it, we got on so well together and shared interests in both world wars, I didn't feel like doing it on my own, so alas it never happened.
:(

Well this is turning out to be a happy thread isn't it.
:lolol:

:lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here