Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New TV Advice

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
No, according to the chart I linked to, no human would see the difference between 1080p and 4k at that distance. In fact at 9 feet, you can only just tell the difference between 720p and 1080p (and I expect most people still couldn't tell).

Based on watching TV on a 42" about 10 feet away at resolutions of 480, 720 and 1080 I'm not sure I agree with that chart at all.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
No, according to the chart I linked to, no human would see the difference between 1080p and 4k at that distance.

Ah yes. Sorry - once again CMs / Inches confusion from me.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've seen the same sort of TVs for 100+ cheaper. Hold out/look out a bit longer. This seems a better deal, though it looks like it's sold out at the moment: http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lg-49ub820v-49-led-tv-smart-tv-ultra-hd-4k-599-pixmania-2052516

The higher the hot number, generally the better the deal.

LG, Samsung and Sony (though expensive) have the best reputation and is what I'd go for.

I'm not planning on buying until the New Year, as 4K prices are dropping quite well at the moment, and once Xmas and the sales are done I'd expect that to continue.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Based on watching TV on a 42" about 10 feet away at resolutions of 480, 720 and 1080 I'm not sure I agree with that chart at all.
It's not a one off chart, there are other technical studies as well as blind tests too. If you've been watching different tv sets at home, I'm sure there's been more difference that just the tv resolution, so it's difficult to compare.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I'm not planning on buying until the New Year, as 4K prices are dropping quite well at the moment, and once Xmas and the sales are done I'd expect that to continue.

Look out for deals over Christmas/New Year on HotUKDeals and Amazon, particularly on Boxing Day/New Year's Day.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
It's not a one off chart, there are other technical studies as well as blind tests too. If you've been watching different tv sets at home, I'm sure there's been more difference that just the tv resolution, so it's difficult to compare.

I'm basing it on watching different resolutions on the same TV. I don't know the source/science behind that chart so that's about as much as I can comment.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
On a related topic, for those wanting the best TV, LG are now selling OLED TVs which is the best technology ever used for a TV - that should be the next TV I get. The tech will improve and prices will come down.

Also note, the 4k standard is not finalised yet, so if you get a 4k tv now, there's no guarantee it will work (at 4k) when 4k sources (like BluRay) become available.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm basing it on watching different resolutions on the same TV. I don't know the source/science behind that chart so that's about as much as I can comment.
There is no tv source behind that chart, it's a study about the human eye. The explanation is here:
http://carltonbale.com/1080p-does-matter/

What source are you using for your tests, Bluray? I'd be interested to see a blind test of that.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
I am not sure about that chart. It is saying with a 50inch TV at 4K, I would need to sit 3 feet from the screen. 3 feet!! who is going to sit that close? So basically, for 4k, it is saying I need a 150inch TV screen to sit 9 feet away! I think that may take over my lounge and the missus won't be happy!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I am not sure about that chart. It is saying with a 50inch TV at 4K, I would need to sit 3 feet from the screen. 3 feet!!
No it doesn't, you're reading the chart wrong. That's when the full benefit becomes noticeable, ie the point at which you might go to the next technology. 4k on a 50" screen becomes noticeable (compared to 1080p) at about 7 feet, according to that chart. And that's still too close for most people, which is why we don't really need 4k 50" TVs.

Here's another article and chart for you (different organisation, same result):
http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs

Last edited:

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
No it doesn't, you're reading the chart wrong. That's when the full benefit becomes noticeable, ie the point at which you might go to the next technology. 4k on a 50" screen becomes noticeable (compared to 1080p) at about 7 feet, according to that chart. And that's still too close for most people, which is why we don't really need 4k 50" TVs.

Here's another article and chart for you:
http://www.rtings.com/info/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs

I was reading it correctly, I was just going for the distance of full effect. I was just about to say, I have walked into the Sony shop and seen a 4k TV and noticed the difference, then realised I was probably standing 3-5 feet away. Mmmm.. interesting, I will check out your other link.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
On a related topic, for those wanting the best TV, LG are now selling OLED TVs which is the best technology ever used for a TV - that should be the next TV I get. The tech will improve and prices will come down.

Also note, the 4k standard is not finalised yet, so if you get a 4k tv now, there's no guarantee it will work (at 4k) when 4k sources (like BluRay) become available.

As long as the TV can do HEVC (H.265) it will process a 4k signal. Some manufacturers have issued firmware updates for models that couldn't handle HEVC at the time they rolled off the production line in 2012 and 2013.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I was reading it correctly, I was just going for the distance of full effect. I was just about to say, I have walked into the Sony shop and seen a 4k TV and noticed the difference, then realised I was probably standing 3-5 feet away. Mmmm.. interesting, I will check out your other link.
Don't rely on what you see in a shop. The 2nd link also points out that the source the shop uses for the 4k tv will often be a lot better than for their other tvs.

And shops are terrible places for tv demonstrations. No one has their living room as bright as a shop, which is why blacks on an LCD look washed out / milky when you watch a film at night, but they look fine in the shop. Plasmas are generally better for film watching that LCDs, but the average punter just sees what they're like in the shop, and LCDs are good for watching tv in shops.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
As long as the TV can do HEVC (H.265) it will process a 4k signal.
It's not that simple. We don't yet know what HDCP will be required for 4k bluray. I have an old 720p plasma that can obviously handle 720p perfectly, but then HDCP came out and my screen wasn't on the list, so can't display HDCP content.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Don't rely on what you see in a shop. The 2nd link also points out that the source the shop uses for the 4k tv will often be a lot better than for their other tvs.

And shops are terrible places for tv demonstrations. No one has their living room as bright as a shop, which is why blacks on an LCD look washed out / milky when you watch a film at night, but they look fine in the shop. Plasmas are generally better for film watching that LCDs, but the average punter just sees what they're like in the shop, and LCDs are good for watching tv in shops.

Totally agree and I wish I was never talked into the LED and should have stuck with Plasma. Unfortunately, it looks like the TV companies are phasing Plasma out.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Totally agree and I wish I was never talked into the LED and should have stuck with Plasma. Unfortunately, it looks like the TV companies are phasing Plasma out.
Yep, plasma is over, but OLED is here, and it's even better. It has far better blacks than plasma, let alone LED, it doesn't require much electricity, it has excellent colour and should be capable of low input lag. And the panels are ultra thin, so look good in the living room. Don't get a curved one though, that's just silly.

OLED is similar to what we're used to seeing on tablets/phones.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Plasma is a dodo. There are still residual stocks of Plasma TVs knocking about which can be snaffled up at knock down prices. Could be a stop gap until 4k OLED prices are at sensible levels in about four years time.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here