Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New TV Advice

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
On this subject, my 4-5 year old LG 46" TV is starting to become annoying. When there's a large block of a single colour on the screen- particularly the pitch during football matches- I'm getting a sort of vertical stripe down the centre of the screen, with slightly darker colour, shimmering patches. I guess this isn't something that can be fixed easily. Is that common with LED TVs?

Slightly annoying that it should fail, as I still feel a TV should be good for longer than 4 years or so. But I can see I'm going to end up shelling out for a new one, aren't I?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
On this subject, my 4-5 year old LG 46" TV is starting to become annoying. When there's a large block of a single colour on the screen- particularly the pitch during football matches- I'm getting a sort of vertical stripe down the centre of the screen, with slightly darker colour, shimmering patches. I guess this isn't something that can be fixed easily. Is that common with LED TVs?

Slightly annoying that it should fail, as I still feel a TV should be good for longer than 4 years or so. But I can see I'm going to end up shelling out for a new one, aren't I?

Looks like it.

My Lovely 36inch Panasonic TV (SD) could still be used as the picture's ok, but it no longer accepts input from the remote or most of the buttons available visa the flap on the front - the only way to get it to play TV is to ensure the sky box is on and it will auto-pick that feed upon being turned on.

I'm going to have to chuck it out - feels wrong.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

Might be worth contacting LG, saying that a TV should be reasonably expected to last beyond 4-5 years with 'moderate' use. Throw in a possible court date for them via the Sale Of Goods Act (small claims court) You will need date of proof of puchase. They might repair it for you gratis.

Or go and treat yourself to a nice shiny new one!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Believe it or not some LED TVs have banding and clouding issues from new. Some TVs which are returned to retailers by unhappy customers asking for a replacement set are actually sold again to an unsuspecting punter instead of being sent back to be refurbed.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
Just want to chip in and say I've got a Panasonic PLASMA from a couple of years ago and the picture on it is incredible.

Plasma technology isn't exactly reliable or good in all conditions. But stick a movie on in a dark room, whack on THX mode and the picture quality/black levels are better than many modern sets.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I'd say that's a decent price for a 50inch HD TV.

See here for other options: http://www.hotukdeals.com/search?action=search&keywords=HD+TV+50

One question this thread has thrown up is 'Would you be better going for a 4K one though?'

Thanks.

Reading this thread and others I am not to worried about 4k.

A decent 1080p HD LED pic will be a much much better picture than my aging plasma (which is still alright).

For the cost v improvement I can live without 4k

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
The 1st one does look interesting - I've read that thread and was toying with getting a 3D one (I know 3D is dead)

That 2nd one, is a bit big for my lounge :)

I still like 3D myself. The trick is to watch films that are shot in 3D rather than post-production conversion where the 3D is generally rubbish. Avatar, Tron, How to Train Your Dragon and Life of Pie, Guardians of the Galaxy, Judge Dredd, among others, are brilliant in 3D.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
4k? Old hat. It's all about Quantum Dots.

Doesn’t sound particularly groundbreaking. Sounds more like an enhancement for existing tv technology to improve the backlighting. OLED seems as good, and better in some cases.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
I still like 3D myself. The trick is to watch films that are shot in 3D rather than post-production conversion where the 3D is generally rubbish. Avatar, Tron, How to Train Your Dragon and Life of Pie, Guardians of the Galaxy, Judge Dredd, among others, are brilliant in 3D.
You mean Dredd not Judge Dredd. Agreed excellent film in 3D.

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Got a Philips 50inch LED 4k 3d tv in November.
Love it. Paid £700 and it's only decreased in price by £20 so I can live with that. Cracking TV and worth every penny.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here