Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Striker - Tony Bloom

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
The club's income is £20M. Half of this is spent on the playing budget, with rest on other costs and overheads.

You cannot afford to lose £8M every year on those figures.

What will happen once the academy has been up and running a few seasons we may create our own Zaha's to sell and re-invest on other players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nope. Each club can make an acceptable loss of 8, 6 and 5m. So if you have a rich chairman, that is the maximum per year he can put into the club under the rules to cover losses.

How about if your rich chairman secures you a massive shirt sponsorship deal...from his own company, for the sake of argument. Say 15 million for a season. Can the authorities do anything about that? If not there must be a thousand ways of rich owners getting around FFP

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Vellios is in Greece at the moment with the under 21s so if it's him he wont arrive until Wednesday at the earliest.

Gonna get injured in the game isn't he, unless he has already played?

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
FFP is a joke and will be discarded within 2 years. As it doesn't prevent you from achieving promotion it's toothless... Forest will go up this year having broken the rules all over the shop. They'll still go up, and still be able to reap the financial rewards of promotion. Whatever the version of FFP is for large Euro clubs, that will also be scrapped next year as it's also completely unworkable and will be challenged in court.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
It can be viewed like that, if you want to take the risk. But can they, or us for that matter, live with a transfer embargo if they don't get promoted? (assuming that the transfer embargo is a properly enforced one ie no-one in until they can prove that they are back within FFP limits), whilst those that have played by the rules have been given free cash by those that got promoted and did not play by the rules. It isn't perfect by any means, but FFP properly enforced will at least give some reward to those clubs that don't want to cheat.

I keep repeating this as well, but the other thing to remember is that TB wants the club to be self-financing (up to a 5m loss per year). He is not prepared to take the gamble and spend all in the hope of promotion.

But we are not taking the moral high ground - we are playing by the rules as agreed by the Football League clubs.

The club's income is £20M. Half of this is spent on the playing budget, with rest on other costs and overheads.

You cannot afford to lose £8M every year on those figures.

What will happen once the academy has been up and running a few seasons we may create our own Zaha's to sell and re-invest on other players.

maybe this is the gamble he is making
if so I can now understand whats going on

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
Ok, FFP, we get it, but can we stop offering it as an excuse, even BEFORE we make a disappointing signing. #sigh

Not saying I don't approve of being careful with the finances, as I do, I really do, but stop with mentioning FFP in every single interview whether it's about ticket prices, merchandising, advertising boards, or player signings.

The excuse isn't following the rules laid out in FFP not to buy players. The real excuse is made by the malcontents who put nothing into the club, and use its upholding as a reason to whinge. I'm much less pizzed off with losing a game than I am with ungrateful trolls who think that TB is their fairy godfather ! Have these people any knowledge of what were really dire times for this club for well over a decade?

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Pretty sure there is something saying that you can't do that. I believe it is something along the lines of having to prove that any sponsorship is at the current market value. So I assume if they got, say, £5m for a sponsorship for the last few years and then get offers in the same region for this year from other companies but take £15m from the chairman's company then it is breaching the rules.

It is outlawed but is exactly what Forest are doing so we will find out how tough the FL are in due course.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
How about if your rich chairman secures you a massive shirt sponsorship deal...from his own company, for the sake of argument. Say 15 million for a season. Can the authorities do anything about that? If not there must be a thousand ways of rich owners getting around FFP

A panel will be formed to look at these cases. But they have already said that deals like this will not be allowed, but it is up to the football league to make sure that they are not. Once they allow one to happen, FFP will be a dead duck.

[/B][/U]

maybe this is the gamble he is making
if so I can now understand whats going on

Yes, I agree. Creating our own players to either keep (to save transfer fees) or sell on to generate income is the way to go.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is outlawed but is exactly what Forest are doing so we will find out how tough the FL are in due course.

You can bet your bottom dollar that Forest will get away with it, same as Watford getting round their transfer embargo by taking loan players from sister clubs.
I would like to think that FFP will be enforced but I don't have much faith in the FL.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
FFP is a joke and will be discarded within 2 years. As it doesn't prevent you from achieving promotion it's toothless... Forest will go up this year having broken the rules all over the shop. They'll still go up, and still be able to reap the financial rewards of promotion. Whatever the version of FFP is for large Euro clubs, that will also be scrapped next year as it's also completely unworkable and will be challenged in court.

How do you know Forest have broken the rules?

J2 BHA

Jul 28, 2004
Correct. Forest aren't complying with FFP. Their owners have done sponsorship deal worth 12m with the 'Fawaz refrigeration company', who are owned by the same family. This is a clear breach of the FFP fair value rule regarding sponsorship - we probably get less than 1m a year from Amex. To give an idea of how much of an advantage that 12m gives, our total annual ticket revenue for an average crowd of 26k per game will be in the order of 10-11m.

We have to hope that the league implements the rules, fines and transfer embargoes rigorously.

Thanks for that, can now understand how they have the squad they do. I had no idea about that sponsorship deal, naively thought this sort of thing would have been banned under FFP.

Like you say, need the league to apply the fines etc at the end of the season or suspect FFP will be no more/meaningless.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm not sure he's exactly got the physical presence of Ulloa.

J2 BHA

Jul 28, 2004
Essentially, FFP means that you can make an "acceptable" loss of up to 8m this year, 6m next and 5m every year thereafter. Clubs can either adhere to it or ignore it. If you ignore it and get promoted, you will be fined. If you ignore and are not promoted, you get a transfer embargo imposed. The fines are shared between those clubs that do adhere to the rules. The fines are punitive (last time QPR were promoted, they made a loss of 25m - if they do that this year and are promoted, they will be fined somewhere in the region of 15m).

Whether Forest are playing by the rules or not, we do not know yet. But I doubt it. But that is up to them.

Thanks KZN, just got to hope the league apply those sanctions if certain teams don't comply!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here