New Striker - Tony Bloom

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Barry M

Jan 21, 2011
This is what I don't 'get' with FFP, and I suppose playing Devils Advocate, as I'm not one that says we should be risking everything for the Premier League. BUT surely a £15mm fine pales into insignificance against the reported £120mm per annum that can be earned for promotion to the Premier League - and can be viewed as an acceptable loss by a club like Forest? So, why are we taking the moral high ground?
Is it not £120m over the course of 3 seasons?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
As you say Piltdown Man, FFP is a reality and I totally trust Tony Bloom to be doing the right thing and if that's keeping hold of the purse strings then fair enough.

However, I hope someone can help me as I am struggling to really understand how FFP works - i think it was in the programme on Saturday (or it may have been in the Argus match report yesterday come to think of it) where Forest were referred to along the lines of 'being a financial powerhouse in the Skybet Championship'. I cannot get my head around this term although by looking at their starting line-up then it's fairly obvious they have been splashing some serious cash. Surely, their financial 'power' must be linked to their revenue?

Given our attendances, pricing and the various ways in which we've been 'maximising revenues' since Paul Barber joined (I have no beef with him BTW) then how can Forest have so much more money to spend than us on their squad??? I think it's fair to say we do have a mid-table playing budget when you look at teams like Forest and Leicester etc but surely our revenue isn't mid table is it? Or am i missing something in how FFP works.

Genuine question which I hope is clear and someone can answer for me as it's bloody annoying seeing our club with huge gates every week, more merchandise on view around town than I ever dreamed possible and a suite of hospitality boxes sold out but us still having a relatively modest playing budget in comparison to the forest's of this world. Is it simply that Forest aren't complying with the FFP rules or something else I'm missing?

correct me i I'm wrong, but is it not a way round FFP if the owner(s) pay for players out of their own pocket ??

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
correct me i I'm wrong, but is it not a way round FFP if the owner(s) pay for players out of their own pocket ??
Er, no. How else would players be paid?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
One FFP element I do not quite follow is loans to equity. A chairman cannot loan the club money to cover debts. But I understand he/she can put the money in via equity/shares. What's to stop chairman funding clubs this way?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is it not £120m over the course of 3 seasons?

It is £120M+ over 5 seasons if you come back down again after the first season (£60M+ for finishing in a relegation spot plus roughly £60M [£23M , £18M , £9M , £9M] as parachute payments for the next four seasons. Finish in 17th , escape relegation and the prize money from the Premier League will be something like £70M minimum and the chance to do it all again the following season..

del strangefish

Nov 1, 2008
Back of North Stand
"Our job is to get the best possible one which is available, fit and ready to go for Yeovil."

Best possible.
Anyone care to start a list.
Best to Worst (available) ??

Last edited:

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
One FFP element I do not quite follow is loans to equity. A chairman cannot loan the club money to cover debts. But I understand he/she can put the money in via equity/shares. What's to stop chairman funding clubs this way?

A loss is still a loss, whether it's funded by a chairman converting debt to equity or the club owing money to a bank.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If Bridcutt is sold in January for £5M will this be enough to sign a decent striker to give us a chance of making the play offs ?

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

The "acceptable loss" is made up of 2 elements - an "acceptable deviation" and "shareholder equity investment". The table for this is below. So for this season, the acceptable deviation is 3m and the shareholder equity investment is 5m, making a total of 8m. By 2015/16 and onwards, this goes down to 2m and 3m respectively.

Season 2011/12 2012/13 2013/14 2014/15 2015/16 onwards
Acceptable deviation £4 m £4 m £3 m £3 m £2 m
Shareholder equity investment £8 m £6 m £5 m £3 m £3 m
Total Permitted Allowances £12 m £10 m £8 m £6 m £5 m

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
What he's doing is being clever. He states without needing to spell it out, his full backing of his manager. He relates many of the difficulties encountered to exceptional circumstances beyond the control of the club or manager in relation to the injuries, and finally shuts those up who believe an open cheque book is the answer. He has stated we will have one or two ready for the next game, lets look forward to that. FFP is a reality not an excuse but many still see at that.

So that's it then. We have seen this so many times before..............

Chairman gives Manager his full support onTuesday and then fires him the next match if they lose :)

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
What I don't get is that TB has already been generous in the extreme in relation to the Albion, but for some of the fanbase that is not enough and they think he should subsidise the club to an even greater extent.

At Withdean we averaged losses of about £2 million a year, and in the final season it was £7 million. Nearly all of this was underwritten by TB. Those losses increased in our first season at the Amex. Perhaps he has had enough of having to find £180,000 a week to cover the costs of running the club?

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
What I don't get is that TB has already been generous in the extreme in relation to the Albion, but for some of the fanbase that is not enough and they think he should subsidise the club to an even greater extent.

At Withdean we averaged losses of about £2 million a year, and in the final season it was £7 million. Nearly all of this was underwritten by TB. Those losses increased in our first season at the Amex. Perhaps he has had enough of having to find £180,000 a week to cover the costs of running the club?

Tony stated long before FFP came up that once we moved to Falmer he wanted to club to be capable of being self sufficient and didn't want to be covering huge losses.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
As above. Two things to remember when voicing frustration at the lack of a loan signing: 1. TB has spent rather a lot already. 2. TB is a Brighton supporter with the club's best interests at heart. If we are not flinging money about it is because, in his calculated opinion, this is not in our best interest.

FWIW, should we be able to field our best XI even as late as January, we have seen how it is more than possible to make the top 6 with a strong finish to the season. There is way too much negativity and I am afraid it does rather smack of the gloryseeker. Leave that to the top 4 club out of town "fans" thanks.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

Quite. Some people just like telling others how they should spend their money. And for some, if we are not signing a player NOW, they assume that we have no money to spend.

D

Deleted member 22389

Your right. People forget all what you mentioned above. TB is a business man, if he treats the club how he has treated his other business as regards profits then we are in good hands. The club needs profits not losses. These clubs can get all the foreign owners they like, spend all the money they like, at the end of the day that is not going to last forever. At some point these people are going to want something back and when they fall, they are really going to fall really hard. We will be the ones laughing at the end of day.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
TB is a business man, if he treats the club how he has treated his other business as regards profits then we are in good hands. .

He certainly doesn't - thank God! If he did, he'd have run off over the hills, years ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports