Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Striker - Tony Bloom

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
4. Oscar's appointment on the eve of the new season and having to evaluate the squad and where he sees areas of weakness

He joined six weeks before the start of the season and had almost certainly agreed to take the job weeks before hand

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Trying to keep patient. Was desperate to get a striker in for forest and was surprised it didn't happen. Following that game and the noises out the club seemed to suggest something would happen pretty swiftly but 9 days on and no striker in yet.

Really hoping we get something in for Yeovil. I honestly think failure to act quickly now will impact our top 6 aspirations.

Even a striker that isn't top notch would do as surely would still be an improvement coming off the bench .

Keeping the faith but desperately hoping for some good news soon

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Yet our spending on facilities is MUCH higher than "the average in this division". That's my point. We're spending shitloads on everything EXCEPT the thing that will get us to the Prem.

Our stadium and facilities are apparently more on a par with a club like, say, Spurs. Seems like a waste of money to me, slightly.

agreed - don't get spending £150million on stadium and training facilities and only having one fit 1st team striker at the club - makes absolutely no sense.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
agreed - don't get spending £150million on stadium and training facilities and only having one fit 1st team striker at the club - makes absolutely no sense.

I'm not complaining - it's just a baffling strategy.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
If we wait until Thursday, a 93-day loanee would be able to play in one extra game (Derby Away).

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
He joined six weeks before the start of the season and had almost certainly agreed to take the job weeks before hand

In the context of bringing in a new striker that was exactly (one of) my point - ideally Oscar would have been in place sooner but for the Gus saga. I'm sure he watched videos of us last season but needed to see the squad in anger through his own eyes before making decisions about who would figure in his squad and what gaps needed to be filled. It was refreshing to see him give youngsters like March get games (and get 'that' goal against Norwich). But where is March now?

Oscar has still only had 12 competitive games in charge and has never had a full strength squad to select from. He's been dealt a poor hand by the injuries but doesn't seem to panic and isn't doing his dirty washing in the media either.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
One is a long term investment the other is very short term. Even if not getting a striker means we get nowhere near the play-offs (I doubt it but it could I suppose) I would rather the club invest in the future than in attempting to get glory in one season.

I do get that - but if we finish mid table lower half do you think we will sell 23K season tickets in the summer - momentum on the pitch is key to increasing the turnover - are we really happy to have a half empty stadium but a full hotel?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Will be interesting to see how the Albion's income from hotel is worked out. I imagine it will be leased to a hotel firm. Without knowing much about these sort of deals will that likely be for a fixed annual fee or potentially a per centage share of the profits?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Is it absolutely confirmed that ALL £55m for the hotel + car park etc is coming from Tony's wallet?

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
The squad was prem standard last season. 18 draws and missing out by four points, shows this and if we are all honest we all know we were a better side than Palace, just not on the mystery night. I don't think there is a lot wrong with the squad from keeper/ defence and through the midfield. We are a top quality striker away from a top six or maybe bottom six side. Very fine lines in this division.

Exactly it.

Joe Gatting's Dad

Feb 10, 2007
Way out west
How many more times!

Capital expenditure can be whatever Tony Bloom wishes and falls outside FFP rules

The playing budget has to fall within FFP rules and is set at £10m. We cannot just spend a few million on a new striker, when we have £12m of the on the books, but sadly injured at present

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
How many more times!

Capital expenditure can be whatever Tony Bloom wishes and falls outside FFP rules

The playing budget has to fall within FFP rules and is set at £10m. We cannot just spend a few million on a new striker, when we have £12m of the on the books, but sadly injured at present

All makes good sense to me. And that's why I guess the club are waiting for the 'right' opportunity to get another striker in.
That said FFP doesn't quite seem fair to clubs like Brighton with all the credentials of being a Prem team. When for years past clubs have bought their way into the big income league.

Do I know what I'm talking about.....probably not :smile:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here