Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Striker - Tony Bloom

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
All makes good sense to me. And that's why I guess the club are waiting for the 'right' opportunity to get another striker in.
That said FFP doesn't quite seem fair to clubs like Brighton with all the credentials of being a Prem team. When for years past clubs have bought their way into the big income league.

Do I know what I'm talking about.....probably not :smile:

What is definitely unfair is the imposition of FFP now, whilst keeping the generous parachute payments from the Prem. As long as they punishments are carried out, it marks the end of teams buying success and promotion to the land of dreams*

* Note may contain little in the way of dreams.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
bad planning then ?

So how many strikers should we have for it to be "good" planning? 5, 10 ,15, 20? And who pays for them all.

We have 4 first team strikers, it's just bad luck that 3 are all injured at the same time, nothing more nothing less than that.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
How many more times!

Capital expenditure can be whatever Tony Bloom wishes and falls outside FFP rules

The playing budget has to fall within FFP rules and is set at £10m. We cannot just spend a few million on a new striker, when we have £12m of the on the books, but sadly injured at present

It is set at £8m this year which we exceeded last year, so we can assume that the people calling us to sign more players would be happy to have a transfer embargo this summer?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
How many more times!

Capital expenditure can be whatever Tony Bloom wishes and falls outside FFP rules

The playing budget has to fall within FFP rules and is set at £10m. We cannot just spend a few million on a new striker, when we have £12m of the on the books, but sadly injured at present

Surely injured players are covered by insurance?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It is set at £8m this year which we exceeded last year, so we can assume that the people calling us to sign more players would be happy to have a transfer embargo this summer?

A transfer embargo didn't stop Watford. It doesn't mean you can't buy players, but that you have to have that purchase approved by the League.

Urchin

Aug 1, 2011
What is definitely unfair is the imposition of FFP now, whilst keeping the generous parachute payments from the Prem. As long as they punishments are carried out, it marks the end of teams buying success and promotion to the land of dreams*

* Note may contain little in the way of dreams.

Problem is though, it doesn't stop teams that receive parachute payments spending what they want to get promoted. Not fair whatsoever.

I also feel that the books should be checked at the end of the football season. Therefore, punishments could be handed out under the rules of the league that they played in. For example, if Forest go up, they will have abided by the premier leagues FFP rules and therefore, have no punishment. Whereas under the FL FFP rules, they would have failed and be punished. For the whole FFP system to work properly, I also feel that there should be a points deduction and stop teams from being promoted if a club fails to meet FFP rules.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
A transfer embargo didn't stop Watford. It doesn't mean you can't buy players, but that you have to have that purchase approved by the League.

This debacle, along with Forest's handy sponsorship deal, show that FFP has holes. I hope that the FA fix the holes at the end of this season, otherwise there will just be massive abuse next season and it will just turn in to an(other) accountancy game.

I'm torn between understanding why we should be attempting to stick to the spirit of FFP and wondering why we're bothering when other clubs aren't. All underpinned by that slightly sick feeling of knowing that the chances of the FA actually punishing the offending teams is very, very slight.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
If no punishment is dished out or the fines are to small/meaningless Other clubs will just follow suit and disregard FFP making it another gutless FIFA, League directive

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
This debacle, along with Forest's handy sponsorship deal, show that FFP has holes. I hope that the FA fix the holes at the end of this season, otherwise there will just be massive abuse next season and it will just turn in to an(other) accountancy game.

I'm torn between understanding why we should be attempting to stick to the spirit of FFP and wondering why we're bothering when other clubs aren't. All underpinned by that slightly sick feeling of knowing that the chances of the FA actually punishing the offending teams is very, very slight.

Maybe Bloom can't afford to lose £8m-£20m a year?

Just a thought

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Maybe Bloom can't afford to lose £8m-£20m a year?

Just a thought

Up to him if he will or won't bankroll us further, and to what extent, but that wasn't my point. My point was about whether or not FFP will hold up, and if the clubs are going to do anything more than pay lip service to it.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Up to him if he will or won't bankroll us further, and to what extent, but that wasn't my point. My point was about whether or not FFP will hold up, and if the clubs are going to do anything more than pay lip service to it.

Agree with you on FFP. The FL needs to show balls and not shrink at the 1st challenge which I think will probably happen

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

I think they will come down hard on any teams that heavily flout FFP, if promoted or not, and those that are, are risking a mighty fall with fines and point deductions. It may be that next season if we are in the Championship, that our biggest rivals in promotion suddenly get massive points deductions midway throught the season.

We could have a view in future hindsight that sticking to the FFP may be key in our promotion.

Last edited:

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
I could understand Obika being the target when we needed back-up for Ulloa but now Ulloa is potentially out until Christmas and CMS has no scheduled return date, I really hoped we would have set out sights a little higher. If we sign Obika and him and Barnes are the only fit strikers we have until the new year, I can honestly see us getting dragged into a relegation battle.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I think they will come down hard on any teams that heavily flout FFP, if promoted or not, and those that are, are risking a mighty fall with fines and point deductions. It may be that next season if we are in the Championship, that our biggest rivals in promotion suddenly get massive points deductions midway throught the season.

We could have a view in future hindsight that sticking to the FFP may be key in our promotion.

There are no fines for non-promoted teams and no points deductions for anyone under FFP.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
FFP will never work without a proper deterrent and the will to enforce it. The other problem with it, is that it massively increases the chances of promotion of those with parachute payments, if it is enforced properly it's going to be very hard for any team without the PL money to ever get promoted and with each passing year the chances will diminish...

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
There are no fines for non-promoted teams and no points deductions for anyone under FFP.

I thought these were the penalties:

Reprimand / Warning
Fine
Deduction of Points
Withholding of Revenue from competition
Prohibition to register new players for competitions;
A restriction on the number of players that a club may register for competitions
Disqualification from a competition in progress
Exclusion from future competitions

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
I thought these were the penalties:

Reprimand / Warning
Fine
Deduction of Points
Withholding of Revenue from competition
Prohibition to register new players for competitions;
A restriction on the number of players that a club may register for competitions
Disqualification from a competition in progress
Exclusion from future competitions

Those are the UEFA FFP penalties and do not apply to Championship teams.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here