Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Knockaert Tribute – for next Friday?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Or a pub? Or a food outlet? Is that it? Just football and no experience? You'd love America.

I do indeed love America. Not sure why you're muddying the waters with pubs and food outlets though, whats that got to do with the price of liquorice ?

I'm at a football match to cheer my team on, not to stand there and contemplate someones death. There ARE some exceptions of course, but these should be rare exceptions. Nowadays, barely a game passes without a minutes silence or applause for something, or someone, or some kind of tribute.

Its a ruddy football match, not an act of remembrance.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I'm at a football match to cheer my team on, not to stand there and contemplate someones death. There ARE some exceptions of course, but these should be rare exceptions. Nowadays, barely a game passes without a minutes silence or applause for something, or someone, or some kind of tribute.

I'm coming firmly round to the idea that the proper place for a fitting, lasting memento at football is/remains a piece in the programme. Or in extreme circumstances such as the Shoreham disaster, a minute's silence before the game. Fair enough if the fans of one or other clubs (or both, as in Friday's case) want to go over and above that with a spontaneous unofficial minute's applause, but it places the club in an impossible position as regards the big screens. Time for a well-thought-out clearly-documented policy change?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I'm coming firmly round to the idea that the proper place for a fitting, lasting memento at football is/remains a piece in the programme. Or in extreme circumstances such as the Shoreham disaster, a minute's silence before the game. Fair enough if the fans of one or other clubs (or both, as in Friday's case) want to go over and above that with a spontaneous unofficial minute's applause, but it places the club in an impossible position as regards the big screens. Time for a well-thought-out clearly-documented policy change?

Couldn't agree more.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Genuine question. How many of our home games this season have had a "moment" of remembrance during them. I can only think of 2.

I'm obviously discounting the fixtures nearest remembrance Sunday.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I do indeed love America. Not sure why you're muddying the waters with pubs and food outlets though, whats that got to do with the price of liquorice ?

Excellent, you treat it as you would and I will in my way, everyone's happy.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Excellent, you treat it as you would and I will in my way, everyone's happy.

I’m always going to respect a minutes silence and / or a minutes applause at the game. It would be churlish not to, and I would not want to be publically “making a point” about not observing it in that moment, because that would be disrespectful.

But it has gotten to a point of overkill IMO (for want of a better word). I agree with THPP, a piece in the programme would 99% of the time be more appropriate and perfectly acceptable, rather than in the middle of the game, during a certain minute, with pictures on the big screen. Appreciate it’s a sensitive and emotive subject though.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I’m always going to respect a minutes silence and / or a minutes applause at the game. It would be churlish not to, and I would not want to be publically “making a point” about not observing it in that moment, because that would be disrespectful.

But it has gotten to a point of overkill IMO (for want of a better word). I agree with THPP, a piece in the programme would 99% of the time be more appropriate and perfectly acceptable, rather than in the middle of the game, during a certain minute, with pictures on the big screen. Appreciate it’s a sensitive and emotive subject though.

Personally I actually don't think it is overkill, in fact from days past where this never happened I find it very respectful. Ok you could ask where it ends but it isn't like we are doing it week in and week out, and to show a bit of respect to a player losing his dad really isn't that sycophantic is it? I'm absolutely not a happy clappy on away fans attending but I respect those that want to show their appreciation.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Roughly 1 in 120 people in the UK population dies each year. If you take a rough 60,000 as being "albion-relevant" then that's about 10 a week.

Best have 1 match per season to remember them all, otherwise it'll get silly.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
For what it’s worth, I think that commemorating someone’s death by robotically applauding their image for a minute looks crass in the extreme. Silence is far more powerful and moving – but it needs to be used at football matches very sparingly.

Agreed - particularly as you're invariably, you know, watching the game, as opposed to actually thinking about that person for a minute.

Its only a matter of time before one of those minutes applause is interrupted by a goal, and then then whole gesture will go right out the window.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village

But it has gotten to a point of overkill IMO (for want of a better word).
Overkill is a very good word. But... Gotten? Gotten? You really have become an American, Easy! Or maybe you helped write the Old Testament?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So, by your analogy, I matters not one jot to supporters to show their respects or their support for one of our players. Fair enough, we all have our own opinions.
If you want to show your respect then send a card demonstrating your condolences and I'm sure if you send it to the club they will pass it on. As for supporting AK then do it through the normal channels, ie 'we've got Knockhaert' etc etc. I don't think he or any player expects applause for the death of a family member. It's getting to the stage where it's not about showing genuine sympathy, it's being seen to show sympathy and, in some cases, being seen to be the first to suggest it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
If you want to show your respect then send a card demonstrating your condolences and I'm sure if you send it to the club they will pass it on. As for supporting AK then do it through the normal channels, ie 'we've got Knockhaert' etc etc. I don't think he or any player expects applause for the death of a family member. It's getting to the stage where it's not about showing genuine sympathy, it's being seen to show sympathy and, in some cases, being seen to be the first to suggest it.

What?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Overkill is a very good word. But... Gotten? Gotten? You really have become an American, Easy! Or maybe you helped write the Old Testament?

I wasn't aware gotten was an americanism ?

Someone in front of me at the deli counter the other day said "can I get...", and I nearly spat on his back. Gottens pretty STANDARD though, innit ??

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

It's quite easy. Write him a letter if you're desperate for him to know how you feel. My thoughts are with him and his family but I personally don't see the necessity for a minutes applause.

As for the rest, thought it was quite clear. It's more 'look at me and what I'm doing' type thread.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
It's quite easy. Write him a letter if you're desperate for him to know how you feel. My thoughts are with him and his family but I personally don't see the necessity for a minutes applause.

As for the rest, thought it was quite clear. It's more 'look at me and what I'm doing' type thread.

I am guessing you're fishing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here