Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Knockaert Tribute – for next Friday?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
We can't be that far away from when every minute of every game is dedicated to someone or something

It is absolute bloody MADNESS. Yeah, it is sad if a member of a players family dies or a supporter of the club but do we really have to commemorate EVERY bloody thing?

Whilst understanding this sentiment surely a tribute to Knocky's dad is fair? The players have shown their respects, why can't we?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
That's genuinely very unfortunate. Club will be damned if they do and damned if they don't acknowledge both. Maybe devoting some space in the programme instead of back-to-back minutes' applause is the way forward. Tricky one.
Agreed. We're not far off the need for multiple applauses per game. As nice a gesture it is it just isn't practical.

Maybe a minutes applause pre match?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Once the Villa match and this tribute is done, we then need to call a halt to these minute applauses as it's going to start getting silly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I don't believe for one minute that AK is expecting any separate tribute to his father.

Where does it stop? As soon as you pay tribute to the one players family bereavement aren't then obligated to do it for everyone.

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I don't believe for one minute that AK is expecting any separate tribute to his father.

Where does it stop? As soon as you pay tribute to the one players family bereavement aren't then obligated to do it for everyone.

IMHO this is correct. In these circumstances, respect should be shown along with the Villa fans towards the poor lad. AK had a splendid show at Bristol by both team colleagues and fans alike. Time to move on.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013

We have a page in the programme which can be used -if we are not careful, it can get OTT and then becomes devalued. I will clap if that is what will happen, but do also feel that this is what the programme is for. If we are not careful, it could be happening several times a game, and then we might miss one, leading to complaints of favouritism. OK for something is truly exceptional, such as Shoreham.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
This is getting far too sycophantic.
Knocky's dad had no connection to BHAFC, why do the fans need to pay tribute to him? I thought it was just a show of support for Knocky, which is in itself a bit OTT when he's been here less than a year, but I guess just about palatable.

So, by your analogy, I matters not one jot to supporters to show their respects or their support for one of our players. Fair enough, we all have our own opinions.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
So what is wrong with making a change to that?

Nothing. You're right.

I suspect people only want to make a change in this situation because Anthony Knockhaert is the man of the moment, a well liked character and our most exciting player. As others have pointed out, there wasn't quite the same reaction when we had a comparable situation with Adam Virgo.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I suspect people only want to make a change in this situation because Anthony Knockhaert is the man of the moment, a well liked character and our most exciting player. As others have pointed out, there wasn't quite the same reaction when we had a comparable situation with Adam Virgo.

There tends to be a trend these days to cut some respect, that wasn't about a few years ago. I like it, it sends a humanitarian message. And people being nice to each other is ok really? Isn't it?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
So this thread’s now turned into a right old binfest. Meanwhile, some facts:-

The Knockaert Marseillaise was written and first posted here in August. Since then, it’s been revised a couple of times and posted most recently as a video. The Villa game was simply the first available opportunity to air the finished version at the Amex.

The coincidental death of AK’s father would obviously have added extra poignancy, but the plan had always been to offer an original alternative to something that's sung by dozens of other clubs.

The new song (take another look, read the words) pays tribute (yes, that word again) to Knockaert’s footballing brilliance and his well-deserved place among true Albion legends. And that’s it.

Four lines for Friday? Can’t be that difficult, can it?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There tends to be a trend these days to cut some respect, that wasn't about a few years ago. I like it, it sends a humanitarian message. And people being nice to each other is ok really? Isn't it?

I'd like to think I'm at a football match, not a memorial service thanks.

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
That's genuinely very unfortunate. Club will be damned if they do and damned if they don't acknowledge both. Maybe focusing solely on devoting some space in the programme instead of back-to-back minutes' applause is the way forward. Tricky one.
For what it’s worth, I think that commemorating someone’s death by robotically applauding their image for a minute looks crass in the extreme. Silence is far more powerful and moving – but it needs to be used at football matches very sparingly.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here